Left rein lameness

GrecianDawn

Visit site
My potential new lease horse is lame on the left front leg, only obvious in trot. She’s moving great on the right, but obviously lame on the left rein. Owner said I just need to ride her in an outline, and it only masks lameness. She says horse has been like that for a year. So lameness is only obvious on the left front leg when she goes to the left. Do you have any experiences? Like where to look for a problem? No heat/swelling and has front shoes on. Mare is 14.

GrecianDawn

Visit site
Well, she’s in my budget, so I thought maybe it is something that could be easily treated. But I’m just desperate to get back to riding. I had one failed lease and all the horses that I try are either lame, too young or too old or something else. Lack of money, ughhh..

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well, she’s in my budget, so I thought maybe it is something that could be easily treated. But I’m just desperate to get back to riding. I had one failed lease and all the horses that I try are either lame, too young or too old or something else. Lack of money, ughhh..

Are you in the UK? Leasing is usually only for top class competition horses in this country.

A year in, it's unlikely to be easily treated.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you in the UK? Leasing is usually only for top class competition horses in this country.

A year in, it's unlikely to be easily treated.

Leasing the 'ordinary' horse is much more common in USA than UK. I assumed that was where OP is situated. Either way, there is no sense in paying for someone else's vet bills.

Zuzzie

Visit site
Could be any number of issues - some serious: navicular, coffin joint arthritis, pedal osteitis etc. Still lame after a year indicates that its not going to get better. Competing is out of the question. Walk away before you become attached to the poor horse who should either be treated or retired. I would look for a share.