Leftover Prascend

Micky

Visit site
After losing my old boy yesterday, I have 95 Prascend pills leftover! My vet won’t take them back..anyone know what I can do with them? Or anyone want them reduced (as long as you’re already getting Prascend for pony/horse)!

Birker2020

Visit site
After losing my old boy yesterday, I have 95 Prascend pills leftover! My vet won’t take them back..anyone know what I can do with them? Or anyone want them reduced (as long as you’re already getting Prascend for pony/horse)!
I'm so sorry to hear about your old horse. Big hugs (not being patronising).

Maybe a rescue centre would have them although passing them on I believe is breaking the law - I don't care but I just thought I'd say that.
My friend asked me for some sachets of bute for her old pony when I lost my horse and I had a couple of dozen left over but I didn't feel it was right without vet intervention.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I would make sure that I didn't use that vet again! That is terrible, when we ended up with a lot of prescend left the receptionist wasn't happy with our returning them, however one of the partners, senior equine vet, intervened and we got our money back. The vets sell them on again if they are still in foil wrapping.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your boy, hope you are coping ok.
Technically your vets are right, legally they’re not supposed to accept returned drugs. Lots do, lots don’t. None of the online pharmacies ever would!
I would see if any of the local rescue centres would appreciate them.

Dreamer2020

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about your old boy. When I lost mine 3 years back I had a whole box of steroid sachets left over. I sent them to the charity in Egypt, Prince Fluffy Kareem and they were really glad of them. They're on Facebook ... you couldn't post stuff directly there, it went to one of their volunteers in the UK, who then took them out there xx

slimjim

Visit site
Sorry for your loss.

Equine Market Watch in Herefordfordshire have several old ponies on Prascend including a very cute shetland mare.

It is illegal to sell them.

Gamebird

Visit site
I would make sure that I didn't use that vet again! That is terrible, when we ended up with a lot of prescend left the receptionist wasn't happy with our returning them, however one of the partners, senior equine vet, intervened and we got our money back. The vets sell them on again if they are still in foil wrapping.

Your vet, however kind his intentions, was breaking the law. Vet practices get multiple inspections by the medicines directorate to ensure that these practices aren't happening. I think that refusing to use a vet again because they decline to break the law for you is a pretty shoddy attitude!

Last edited:

YorksG

Visit site
Your vet, however kind his intentions, was breaking the law. Vet practices get multiple inspections by the medicines directorate to ensure that these practices aren't happening. I think that refusing to use a vet again because they decline to break the law for you is a pretty sh!tty attitude!
Do you feel better for swearing at me? I do hope so, because you've made your point so eloquently as a result!
I find that if I need to tell people about breaking the law, it helps to tell them which laws they are breaking.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Do you feel better for swearing at me? I do hope so, because you've made your point so eloquently as a result!
I find that if I need to tell people about breaking the law, it helps to tell them which laws they are breaking.

Just googled:

There are three key pieces of legislation that govern the use of veterinary medicines in the UK – the Veterinary Surgeons’ Act 1966 (VSA), the Veterinary Medicines Regulations 2013 (VMRs) and the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (MDA).

Vets choose not to accept returns
Again, it’s a legal restriction – if we can’t guarantee exactly how the medication has been stored, we cannot ethically redispense it. A medication that has got wet, exposed to too much light, or too hot can be chemically altered (not just fridge stuff – a radiator or a car in summer can easily get hot enough to damage even a tablet in a sealed blister pack). Usually, it “just” doesn’t work properly; however, in some cases it may actually become toxic and harmful. It isn’t worth the risk. Any drugs you return won’t go back on the shelf – they’ll go in the pharmaceutical waste bin (which, by the way, we have to pay to get disposed of safely).

YorksG

Visit site
Just googled:

There are three key pieces of legislation that govern the use of veterinary medicines in the UK – the Veterinary Surgeons’ Act 1966 (VSA), the Veterinary Medicines Regulations 2013 (VMRs) and the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (MDA).

Vets choose not to accept returns
Again, it’s a legal restriction – if we can’t guarantee exactly how the medication has been stored, we cannot ethically redispense it. A medication that has got wet, exposed to too much light, or too hot can be chemically altered (not just fridge stuff – a radiator or a car in summer can easily get hot enough to damage even a tablet in a sealed blister pack). Usually, it “just” doesn’t work properly; however, in some cases it may actually become toxic and harmful. It isn’t worth the risk. Any drugs you return won’t go back on the shelf – they’ll go in the pharmaceutical waste bin (which, by the way, we have to pay to get disposed of safely).
Thank you, for your very informative post.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Vets can't re-dispense medication, but they should accept them back for disposal, in the same way that pharmacies do, as per LECs post. I'm surprised they refused to accept them.

Mule

Visit site
My old mare was PTs earlier this year. She had cushings and has quite a few tablets left over. I decided to keep them for the other oldie I have. He doesn't have cushings but in the future he may do so I figured it wouldn't do any harm to keep them. They are expensive so I didn't fancy wasting them

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My old mare was PTs earlier this year. She had cushings and has quite a few tablets left over. I decided to keep them for the other oldie I have. He doesn't have cushings but in the future he may do so I figured it wouldn't do any harm to keep them. They are expensive so I didn't fancy wasting them

They are certainly an expensive drug, but the quality of life they give is amazing for our golden oldies, my old lad would have been long gone without prascend.