Leg Cooling Gel & Electrolytes

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I've got a couple of hard weeks competition coming up and it has been suggested to me that in order to keep my horse in tip top condition I should be using leg gel and electrolytes.

I know nothing about either of these having never used them before. Are the rules as to what kinds of leg gels are safe for competition use and can anyone recommend any?

And, any info re electrolytes gratefully received!

lizzieuk1

Visit site
if you can get to a countrwide stores they have a free magazine called 'all horse', this month has a review of leg coolers and an ariticle on electrolytes.

Nic

Visit site
I use equimins leg gel & NAF electrolytes. The electrolytes have a dosing scoop & easy to follow guide on the instructions so generally follow that.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use that blue gel called something like "Ice Cool" or "Leg Ice", I cant remember and I only used it today! It makes my hands tingle after applying it so it must work a bit. But I have recently bought Cool Cel things which I soak in water for 2 minutes then wrap round the leg. I got these for his front legs as he has windgalls which do puff up after XC.

I use my own concuction (sp!) of electrolytes for home use and during events I use NAF's.

beh

Visit site
I use equine america stuff, the leg clay is good and comes off pretty easy the day after, as for electrolytes, the cherry ones smell lovely(like refreshers) not that i chose them because of the smell!!!!!!!!!

Helga1980

Visit site
Following on from my Hunter Trials post a dull question:

If M sweats up at HT's in the autumn (assuming it's not as hot as it's been this summer) would there still as much need to use electrolytes as in the summer??