Leg Wraps...

smac

Visit site
Mine wear Equilibrium Magnetic wraps over night- mainly in winter as in alot due to flooding paddocks.

I got them as a friend highly recommended them. See swears by them and one of hers is a pink skinned cobby fellow. I have to be honest I dont think I have noticed any difference- one horse destroyed them with his teeth.

Mine only go out short time and to date- fingers crossed - have no mud fever signs ?

ellie11987

Visit site
I don't personally use them, but they can be good for preventing mud rash as they dry off the leg quickly. They are also good for preventing arthritis as they keep the legs warm but should not be used as a replacement for turnout, an arthritic horse needs to keep moving. They're also good as can't damage tendons from over tightening so I can't see them doing any harm.

TPO

Visit site
QR- I rate the FAL silver wraps. They worked wonders for a mare I had; she was photosensitive and got really bad mud fever. The hair would fall out of her legs in summer and her mf was horrendous. These boots really did work wonders and since using them she never suffered as badly with her conditions. Every possible management, treatment and boot was already covered; using these wraps was the only change. They are now approx 6 years old and still wash up as good as new.

Liesel

Visit site
Mine all wear Premier Equine Stable Wraps, they are fab!

https://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Boot_Wraps.html

I have the Thermatex ones, they're ok but slip a bit, and Snuggy hoods ones, which I love for the length but they slip terribly. I used to have Mark Todd Coolex ones too but sold them as they don't mould to the leg at all.

I have just bought the PE boot wrap liners as I already have the PE magnetic wraps I just change the magnetic liners for the boot wraps when I need them. Works out a little cheaper £35 including p&p for a full set and they are fab !

Tempi

Visit site
Bloss wears EquiMeg AG full boots all round. She had always suffered from mudfever and I've never been able to get her legs totally free from scabs, she also has mild arthritis in her hocks and her legs fill very badly overnight. I'd tried magnetic stable boots (veredus) and also have thermatex leg wraps but her legs still manage to fill and she was still getting little scabs.

Phoned the EquiMed people and had a long chat - you just wash the legs with water only if they are muddy and put the boots on after towel drying and brush the legs after taking the boots off and the scabs just fall off.

Bloss has not had even slightly filled legs since wearing them and is not even stiff in the morning and the best thing is that her legs are now totally scab and mud fever free which they have never ever been in the 10years I've owned her - she's always had a couple of scabs somewhere.

The boots are expensive but amazing and I can't recommend them highly enough.

If you go on my website (google Parisienne Dressage) I've done a review on there of the boots in the news section.

dianchi

Visit site
Ive got the original stable wraps from Cashel which are fab, have also got the PE ones which are def thiner but do the trick just as well as the Cashels

Firewell

Visit site
Thanks everyone, my thin skinned ginger boy is prone to mud fever on his back legs and any tiny scabs make his fetlocks and pasterns swell overnight. It's not too bad this year but I did wonder if the stable wraps would help.
Thank you

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm just wondering if they are worth it as a preventative measure against mud fever and artheritis?

They are also good for preventing arthritis as they keep the legs warm but should not be used as a replacement for turnout, an arthritic horse needs to keep moving.

You can't prevent arthritis. If you could you'd be famous and very, very rich ;).

TarrSteps

Visit site
Really? I believe studies have shown there are things that can hasten the process - poor nutrition, repetitive strain - but nothing that has conclusively been proven to slow or stop it, other than possibly Tilden and even that's not forever. The fact is some horses will be poorly cared for and still last a very long time, others will be well cared for and still have early and serious issues.

I'm curious about the emphasis on keeping horses' legs warm as an optimum situation as that is clearly not how they are designed. Even if you agree that keeping muscles warm helps mobility . . .they have no muscles below the knee.

Now, skin health and control of lymphatic filling may very well be different cases all together! I had a horse that was very prone to filled legs subsequent to a serious illness and I did wrap his legs as he seemed more comfortable. (We also played with his diet. Ideally I would have loved to have him out but he was an inveterate fence jumper and horse attacker.) BUT he was already technically compromised.