LEGAL ADVICE

bigbess

New User
Visit site
Has any one taken legal action due to a vets negligence? My veterinary practice has made two very costly misdiagnosis on my horses and I would like to know if it would be worth while taking legal advice.

I had one of my horses PTS on veterinary advice and when it came to claiming the vet said that the horse could be saved with medication. He was on two bute twice daily and he still found walking a terrible struggle, I was informed this was the maximum dose and that if he could not maintain soundness on this level then there was only one other course of action.

The other horse had an operation, that went terribly wrong, that has left my mare in as much, if not more, pain than before the operation (there were numerous other complications). I did state that I really didn't want the operation as I felt the danger outweighed the alternative, but was persuaded to go ahead as she would be in too much discomfort without the operation. She is still dreadfully lame and I have now been told to wait another 6+ months to see if there is any improvement as there is too much scar tissue around the tendons but he is not too optimistic and suggested that she would make a nice brood mare. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

fgroom

Visit site
Yes. I lost a foal because of negligence on behalf of a practive and nearly lost my mare as well.

I had a look on the RCVS site, you need to take the matter up wiith the practice involved first and then you can go to the VDS (details on the RCVS web site).

I sent my letter of complaint on the Monday, got an out of court settlement on the Wednesday and the monet was in my bank by the Friday!!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Suing a vets is a very costly procedure, and unlikely to be succesful. They are insured to the hilt and will pay for anything that will get them out of trouble.
We tried once, basically horse was scanned improperly and was advised never to race again, she was just coming into season so was rushed off to stud. Came back in foal and was re scanned and the fault with the previous scan noticed. She was very succesful and still had a lot of winning to do, so loss of earning etc came into it(they actually started proceedings because the owner refused to pay the bill).
The practice admitted fault but said that you pay for their advice, whether it be right or wrong. They then proceeded to fly in vets from all over the world that stated they had treated mares who had won races after producing foals.
The owner lost and had to pay all costs(lots of £k's), as opposed to the £600 bill he refused to pay.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
This may help you http://www.bsava.com/VirtualContent/85242/complaints_procedure_vds.pdf

Just make sure if you do decide to go ahead that they were misdiagnoses and not just unfortunate outcomes of necessary treatment - you do not go into detail about your mare but no surgery comes with a guarantee and no vet will be prepared to give evidence against another unless it is obvious misconduct.

selina25

Visit site
mailto:jf@blytheliggins.co.uk blyth liggins are very good solicitors I used them when i had a problem with a insurance company the vet confirmed the horse had to be put to sleep on humane ground but the non horsey solicitor at the insurance company did not belive him (but they paid up full in the end and more)

Good luck and am sorry to hear of your experience horses hey.