LEGAL help surrounding notice period for livery? PLEASE!

farleybank

Visit site
thank you for all your replies, there is a contract which states one months notice and also states that i can leave beforehand if both parties agree, i dont want to stay any longer than i need to. Also i have been informed that as my pony is on long term loan the owner of him also cannot ride him at their yard, but can visit him with a least two weeks notice.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
thank you for your replies, the outburst was due to my name being removed from the diary which is used to book school, when i arrived i found that our name had been removed and when i asked why this had happen the yard owner just went hell for leather at me, stating that my daughter was overhorse and the horse was in her option dangerous, just because he walks quickly to the field which he always has done, she then advised me if i was not happy to go back where i came from.

Very nice way to talk to a client !

In that case, she gave you notice to quit, so you don't owe her any money. simply pack up your stuff and go.

SusieT

Visit site
You give a months notice-what's hard about that? I.e up until the 12 of the next month.

farleybank

Visit site
just an up date given my months notice to quit yard, was very nice and thanked her for help etc, was then sent a text with again horrid comments telling me to grow up, and that my 13 year old is more grown up than me , and that i only reason why i am leaving is only that i cant get my own way.

How unprofessional can you get, the yard is not bhs registered so cant make a complaint against them, what gives them the right to speak to people like this, both me and my daughter are finding the whole thing very distressing.

guido16

Visit site
How did you get on looking at the new yard?

p.s - Dont delete the texts she sends you, or reply. They might come in useful...

NooNoo59

Visit site
I always take the view that if you pay monthly you give a months notice and weekly a week, but you moved the horse early so she would have been out of pocket if she had not found someone else to fill the stable, and no livery yard owner wants a empty stable, it costs money to find new liveries unless you are in the lucky position of having a waiting list. Advertising and phone calls are not free! She cant force the issue as you had no contract but do you want to get a bad name for someone who leaves without paying their bills, that could come back and bite you on the bum!! Keep us posted

farleybank

Visit site
the new yard is great everything we need, we have paid our months in advance livery so will be leaving early but not with an unpaid bill , the yard has agreed that we can leave early so no problem there. But still so not happy with the way i have been treated, you learn by your mistakes this for me goes down as a huge one!!!

saddlesore

Visit site
So what? If you're so worried about her making a few extra pounds then just stay at the old yard until your notice period is up, then you will be the one with the stable and the other person will have to wait.

At the end of the day, you are in the wrong. Whether or not she has someone else for the stable is irrelevant as far as I can see. Industry standard is you give YOs one months notice and you haven't done that.

Never come across this before so it certainly isn't an 'industry standard!' Courteous perhaps, but no more and no less. No contract- you can leave when you like.

Hedwards

Visit site
If there was no contract in place on the old yard, then there was no formal agreement on how you should pay bills, eg. timing etc - if it was me I'd have pointed this out and then offered to pay them £1 a week for the next 124 weeks!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Never come across this before so it certainly isn't an 'industry standard!' Courteous perhaps, but no more and no less. No contract- you can leave when you like.

No, it is common practice in the industry ( or any industry) therefore a standard by custom.

Contracts do not have to be written to be binding, the only reason people get away with not paying the full notice period is that its too costly and time consuming for YO's to chase after liveries in the courts.

farleybank

Visit site
further up date on yard problem.

I now am at a loss of what to do or say, all i can say i have never ever been subjected to this abuse before in all my life. I was unable to go and collect my bits and pieces from yard so sent a relative to do this with my daughter, on arrival everything ok but as soon as they tried to load bits in car , the abuse started, to the point that my mum was pushed down to her car, while being screamed at and my daughter was questioned back up at the yard, my daughter was so scared it took most of the night to calm her down, for god sake she is only 13 years old. I had on option but to inform the police regarding the above as we are due to collect our horse later this week, we have been given a reference number and told if we are not allowed to enter or leave the yard we are to call 999 straight away. I do not understand WHY this is happening, people leave yards every day, its up to the owners where they would like to keep their best friend, i have had horses most of my life and never had this happen to me. I am just sitting here typing this still with no idea what has driven this person to act in this way. The whole ordeal has caused distress to everyone involved mostly my daughter and myself, I am in complete dispair!

Paris1

Visit site
I would be inclined to take it further. How dare someone physically assault your friend and intimidate a child?!
Why the Hell is your horse still there!???!!!
There must be someone that will take horse in for a few days or the new livery hard to take pony in even in a pen for a few nights.
I would never let my daughter near that place again. I would do my best to press charges. O would also take as many people with me when I collected my property as possible and film it!

farleybank

Visit site
I know totally unacceptable, have just called trading standards etc regarding my rights, my horse is due to leave tomorrow, i am dreading collecting him, just dont understand what the hell is going though there minds to act in this way. The person sent me texts stating that i am a unfit mother etc and said to my daughter that she felt sorry for her that i was her mother.

All i want is to be somewhere where my daughter can enjoy her pony, What is wrong with some people.

heartPDP

New User
Visit site
I have been at a yard where the horses are looked after well but the YO and daughter are rude beyond belief. I have never encountered anything like it. I am literally spoken to like something scraped off a shoe. Why should people be hounded out and made to pay??? YO said on receipt of notices" i will make her want to leave sooner" That is the reason people leave over night sadly ....

Last edited: