LeMieux girth cover

Lowen Ki

Visit site
About to purchase one for my gelding as I'll be clipping him soon and he's a sensitive soul! Previous owner said this was what she used for their dressage girth to keep him happy. Question is...
Are they easy to wash and I can't decide whether to go for the natural lambskin colour or the brown colour. Any thoughts or comments? I can't decide and have never bought any sheepskin before!
LK xxx

Kenzo

Visit site
I had a white Nuumed dressage lambs wool one, presume they are the same, yeah get yourself one, your horse will be much more comfortable, yes they are dead easy to wash, I even washed mine without shrinking it or turning it a different colour and that's a big thing for me! :D

Lowen Ki

Visit site
Ha ha Kenzo that's funny! Does the cream colour pick up marks? Wondering if brown will look smarter for longer...! X

bluewhippet

Visit site
I have the natural coloured sheepskin numnah - great and good to wash but I now wish I had got a darker colour as can't get all the marks out. But the worst ones actually come from the leather of my boots - mud comes out - so you might find the girth cover is okay (unless you have a very strange leg position!).

jenz87

Visit site
Ive just bought the black one for my mare, although im yet to wash it. Just wish i hadnt now sinced my mare is grey, hairs dont look so good on my black cover!! :(

Lowen Ki

Visit site
Oh no jenz that's unfortunate! I went for the natural colour in the end, hope it looks as smart as I hope and fingers crossed my little chap finds it comfortable too :) thanks for the advice guys xx

kildalton

Visit site
About to purchase one for my gelding as I'll be clipping him soon and he's a sensitive soul! Previous owner said this was what she used for their dressage girth to keep him happy. Question is...
Are they easy to wash and I can't decide whether to go for the natural lambskin colour or the brown colour. Any thoughts or comments? I can't decide and have never bought any sheepskin before!
LK xxx

Theywash really easily if you don't let them get too dirty, (daughter has white ones, ) put some human hair conditioner on them before washing and they will come up beautifully.

Andiamo

Visit site
I bought a white/white Lemieux one recently. I washed it on the cool setting on my washing machine, put human hair conditioner on it, and used non-bio detergent. It shrank massively, to the extent it is now about 6 inches too short for my girth. I contacted Horse Health with photos of it, to ask if they would replace it, they said no. The lowest cold setting on my machine is 40C, Horse Health said it should be washed at 30C only, so therefore they won't exchange it. So, £38.95 down the loo, and I won't be buying from them again. I've spent a lot of money buying from their online shop.
So, they lose a loyal customer.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Thats such a shame. I have the LeMieux saddle pad which washes wonderfully. Doesn't your machine have a wool wash as that would be 30c ?

Bit late now though as the damage is done.

catkin

Visit site
Out of interest - what brand of hair conditioner do you all use?

which is best for sensitive skins - asking because some of them make the humans in this household itch unbearably so wondered what's been tried and tested for the nags?

Andiamo

Visit site
Yes, my machine has a "Wool Wash", it is 40C, it says it's a "specifically tested programme for wool garments bearing the Pure New Wool, non-shrink, machine washable label" (I'm looking at the instruction booklet right now).
But still the girth cover shrank. The machine doesn't go any lower than this.

hunteress

Visit site
I bought a white/white Lemieux one recently. I washed it on the cool setting on my washing machine, put human hair conditioner on it, and used non-bio detergent. It shrank massively, to the extent it is now about 6 inches too short for my girth. I contacted Horse Health with photos of it, to ask if they would replace it, they said no. The lowest cold setting on my machine is 40C, Horse Health said it should be washed at 30C only, so therefore they won't exchange it. So, £38.95 down the loo, and I won't be buying from them again. I've spent a lot of money buying from their online shop.
So, they lose a loyal customer.

Ive emailed them twice now with no reply, I bought a close contact numnah and the wool is coming off under the saddle bit, I like you have bought a lot from this online shop so if I don't get a reply they too will be losing another loyal customer !!!

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I have a brown girth sleeve. It washed great the first couple of times on a cold cycle with plenty of cheap hair conditioner in the wool. He third time I washed it I forgot to tie it into a pillow case and it got caught up in the other washing (girths etc) and the wool started coming away leaving patches.
It was entirely my fault so just bought another.

Definately wash cold, use the conditioner and tie into a pillowcase to protect it unless it is in on it's own.

They are lovely and soft though.