Lesson learnt out hacking this afternoon

asmp

Visit site
Don’t hack out when the sun is low.

Horse and I were nearly hit by a car this afternoon. As it had been cloudy all day we decided to ride later on but by the time we got to the yard the sun had come out. We planned the route to avoid as much as we could to avoid riding into the sun but the last 200 metres to the yard were into the sun. I could hear the car behind wasn’t slowing down and he went pass at speed about a foot away. I whacked his windscreen with my whip. Luckily the car coming the opposite way realised what was going to happen and stopped as the driver then swerved out to avoid my daughter in front of me. He didn’t stop.

I was wearing orange hi viz. Needless to say it shook me up a lot.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

I had a similar but much less scary incident about three years ago.

We were out for a three day ride, and at one point needed to cross a busy road; we were near the crest of an uphill stretch of the road, sun low on our left, barely above the level of the road.

This being France, we crossed the first half of the road with traffic approving from our left, and there were no problems.

The second half, however, drivers coming up the hill approaching from our right with the sun behind us, had the sun in their eyes...

I was the last to cross, and I saw the neatest driver lower his window and lean out a bit so I went a bit closer to hear what he had to say.

"With that sun behind you, we can't see you!" He sounded a bit annoyed, but not aggressive or near. I think he was as glad as me to have not had a collision.

"Thanks for tellinging me. I'll talk to our group leader about taking the sun's position into account when planning routes that cross roads."

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Horse and I were nearly hit by a car this afternoon. As it had been cloudy all day we decided to ride later on but by the time we got to the yard the sun had come out. We planned the route to avoid as much as we could to avoid riding into the sun but the last 200 metres to the yard were into the sun. I could hear the car behind wasn’t slowing down and he went pass at speed about a foot away. I whacked his windscreen with my whip. Luckily the car coming the opposite way realised what was going to happen and stopped as the driver then swerved out to avoid my daughter in front of me. He didn’t stop.

Glad everyone ok

I had this last week knob in a BMW roaring up the road. zoomed past me about 50 in a 40mph zooming towards a bend had white lines between his car, luckily I had go pro and reported him, and waiting for update. I got back shaking too, scary, go pro are def worth every penny for us horse riders. I to have wacked the odd windscreen and roof and side of a car over the years.

tiahatti

Visit site
How frightening for you asmp. I hope you are feeling a bit calmer now.
My daughter had a car pass her once when she was hacking and the car was so close it hit her foot. The car must have been centimetres away from hitting Tia.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been blinded by the sun before now. There is a notorious road that used to be the main road out of town, not so busy now. Someone we know was riding home on their bicycle and was the first on the scene where a motorist had driven into the back of a staionery lorry, as they simply could not see, and I know they coudn't see as I had driven down that same road at the same sort of time in October.

asmp

Visit site
Glad you're OK, I'm super cautious at this time of year, low sun and especially on to a wet road is horribly dazzling as a driver, and if the roads are wet they're slippy as well. Id rather ride in the rain than autumn sun
We normally wouldn’t ride in the low sun even though it often means going up to the yard three times in one day. I’m very lucky that my horse is brilliant in traffic and he didn’t flinch.

I’ve reported the near miss on the BHS Incident page.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had this years ago, it was December and I was at livery and didn't have much choice as to when to ride as the yard was an hour from home.

I was bedecked in high viz.

The car hit us square on the back legs, we slid across the bonnet, through the windscreen, were both tossed into the air.

The horse tried to land, but from that height, onto the road, he couldn't get his legs organised and we skidded sideways.

I heard a doooo dooooo doooo doooo sound, as we skidded down the road, him still between my legs. Took me a while to realise it was the sound of my skull cap on the tarmac, bouncing with my head still inside.

When we stopped, he was still between my legs, from the knee down. I remember thinking he was dead, as he lay lifeless, and I was glad, simply because I couldn't move at all and I didn't want a struggling horse to stand and kick me.

After a few seconds, he got up and galloped off like a scalded cat. I still couldn't move, not even my head.

The driver, a 79 year old man, got out and said he didn't see me. He had just been to the pub for lunch.

A crowd gathered, people started to presume what had happened. As the car inserted itself under my horse, his back legs had been scooped up and his front legs had risen. The man driving a car 2 cars behind said he though the horse had reared and caused the accident.

That is not what had happened but no one listened to me.

An ambulance scooped me up, head taped on a body board, I was frantic to find what had happened to my horse. I was consumed with guilt that I had wished him dead. As I was carried onto the ambulance, I saw the car. It looked like the one in the BHS advert, but withoiut the plastic cover and with added blood and flesh.

Horse was permanently scarred but came sound, physio and rest, slow return, competed the next year in BE. He wasn't afraid of traffic (at least no more than before), but was afraid of any noises behind him, and also his stable rug, from then on. He did eventually overcome that. Thank goodness I was riding out in overreach boots, full set f brushing boots and knee boots. His main injuries were stiffness, a skinned shoulder (gravel rash) and lacerations where a windscreen wiper had been inserted into his flesh on the inside of his thigh and a line where he had gone through the windscreen and the edge had cut him. He has a lot of glass still in him, but it was lots of little bits. The worst injuries couldn't be stitched as the flesh was removed. They did heal cleanly though, as they could drain while they healed. The scars were obvious.

The Police were useless. Didn't sight test or breathalyser the driver, and then lied to me.

I took months to be comfortable. I held anger for years. I complained against the Police to no avail. I went as far as Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabularies and threatened the press. That got the passenger interviewed and she admitted that they never braked as they simply didn't see me.

I still don't feel comfortable in traffic. I no longer ride out in low sun.

It has taken me 22 years to be able to type that out!

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site
I had this years ago, it was December and I was at livery and didn't have much choice as to when to ride as the yard was an hour from home.

The car hit us square on the back legs, we slid across the bonnet, through the windscreen, were both tossed into the air.

The horse tried to land, but from that height, onto the road, he couldn't get his legs organised and we skidded sideways.

I heard a doooo dooooo doooo doooo sound, as we skidded down the road, him still between my legs. Took me a while to realise it was the sound of my skull cap on the tarmac, bouncing with my head still inside.

When we stopped, he was still between my legs, from the knee down. I remember thinking he was dead, as he lay lifeless, and I was glad, simply because I couldn't move at all and I didn't want a struggling horse to stand and kick me.

After a few seconds, he got up and galloped off like a scalded cat. I still couldn't move, not even my head.

The driver, a 79 year old man, got out and said he didn't see me. He had just been to the pub for lunch.

A crowd gathered, people started to presume what had happened. As the car inserted itself under my horse, his back legs had been scooped up and his front legs had risen. The man driving a car 2 cars behind said he though the horse had reared and caused the accident.

An ambulance scooped me up on a body board, I was frantic to find what had happened to my horse. I was consumed with guilt that I had wished him dead.

Horse was permanently scarred but came sound, physio and rest, slow return, competed the next year in BE. He wasn't afraid of traffic (at least no more than before), but was afraid of any noises behind him, and also his stable rug, from then on. He did eventually overcome that. Thank goodness I was riding out in overreach boots, full set f brushing boots and knee boots. His main injuries were stiffness, a skinned shoulder (gravel rash) and lacerations where a windscreen wiper had been inserted into his flesh on the inside f his thigh and a line where he had gone through the windscreen and the edge had cut him. He has a lot of glass still in him, but it was lots of little bits.

The Police were useless. Didn't sight test or breathalyser the driver, and then lied to me.

I took months to be comfortable. I held anger for years. I complained against the Police to no avail. I went as far as Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabularies and threatened the press. That got the passenger interviewed and she admitted that they never braked as they simply didn't see me.

Oh my goodness Red1!! What a scary story to read. My heart was beating so fast just reading this. I’m so glad you were both ok and well done for fighting so hard for you and your horse. I’m sad that you were so let down at the time and fear it may be the attitude towards horses and riders even still.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Red-1 I can't 'like' your post. That is a horrific story and the way you were treated by the authorities is disgraceful. Hope its helped to write it down after all that time.

hope you are recovering from your near miss too OP.

Riding on the roads is something I avoid nowadays, it is just too risky. I know people have no choice in many places though.

Red-1

Visit site
Oh my goodness Red1!! What a scary story to read. My heart was beating so fast just reading this. I’m so glad you were both ok and well done for fighting so hard for you and your horse. I’m sad that you were so let down at the time and fear it may be the attitude towards horses and riders even still.
There was a female bumptious Police Officer, who fog horned to me, as I laid in the gutter, that "It's alright, I know about horses, I know they rear." She would not accept that he didn't. Hence not doing any type of an investigation.

It was awful waiting to hear how he was, he had galloped to a nearby parade of shops, saddle under his tummy, where he simply stopped, winded and apparently unable to go any further.

A non horse person lashed him to a lamp post by his reins. Someone thought they knew the yard where he was kept, they found someone to right his saddle and lead him there, once there, the groom tried to turn him away as he simply looked like a different horse, he was so winded, sweaty and shocked. She eventually recognised the tack.

Peglo

Visit site
There was a female bumptious Police Officer, who fog horned to me, as I laid in the gutter, that "It's alright, I know about horses, I know they rear." She would not accept that he didn't. Hence not doing any type of an investigation.

It was awful waiting to hear how he was, he had galloped to a nearby parade of shops, saddle under his tummy, where he simply stopped, winded and apparently unable to go any further.

A non horse person lashed him to a lamp post by his reins. Someone thought they knew the yard where he was kept, they found someone to right his saddle and lead him there, once there, the groom tried to turn him away as he simply looked like a different horse, he was so winded, sweaty and shocked. She eventually recognised the tack.

I can’t imagine how stressful that must’ve been for you not being able to check on him as well as dealing with the shock of being hit by a car! Never mind the frustration of people not listening to you!
You both showed such strength of character with your reaction to this horrible traffic incident! Your horse sounds like he was an amazingly brave lad.

Red-1

Visit site
Red-1 I can't 'like' your post. That is a horrific story and the way you were treated by the authorities is disgraceful. Hope its helped to write it down after all that time.

hope you are recovering from your near miss too OP.

Riding on the roads is something I avoid nowadays, it is just too risky. I know people have no choice in many places though.

I told Mr Red that I was typing it, he was not impressed. I had to go to counselling for the whole thing. I wasn't interested in exacting revenge on the elderly driver TBH. I just wanted his insurance to pay my vets bills and some new tack that was damaged. Once they lied about my horse though, I simply couldn't settle. I initially couldn't see why the Police were lying about me, but then, I realised, they had jumped to a conclusion as soon as they arrived, they did a rubbish job, and were then covering that. It all came out though.

I kept the files, or at least mum did. I don't know why, I couldn't let them go. I think it was because, in the end, the files showed the lies. But then, people who mattered believed me anyway. It was the lies that were so hurtful.

The councillor was not a horse person. Told me that after a car accident, it was best to sell the car for recovery. I pointed out that the horse wasn't a car, it was a living being. However, years later, when I eventually sold for other reasons, it was a relief. I even feel guilty to say that. Hey ho.

The amount of upset about the lies is why the last saying in my signature is so relevant. Why would it matter what other people thought or lied about? I could have dropped it a lot earlier. It would have made me happy earlier. For over a year the anger was all consuming. Not about the accident, accidents happen and I was quickly over that, determined not to ride out in low sun ever again! No, the anger was about the lies, but the only person the anger affected was me. I could have just decided to be happy.

poiuytrewq

Visit site

An ambulance scooped me up, head taped on a body board, I was frantic to find what had happened to my horse. I was consumed with guilt that I had wished him dead. As I was carried onto the ambulance, I saw the car. It looked like the one in the BHS advert, but withoiut the plastic cover and with added blood and flesh.

Horse was permanently scarred but came sound, physio and rest, slow return, competed the next year in BE. He wasn't afraid of traffic (at least no more than before), but was afraid of any noises behind him, and also his stable rug, from then on. He did eventually overcome that. Thank goodness I was riding out in overreach boots, full set f brushing boots and knee boots. His main injuries were stiffness, a skinned shoulder (gravel rash) and lacerations where a windscreen wiper had been inserted into his flesh on the inside of his thigh and a line where he had gone through the windscreen and the edge had cut him. He has a lot of glass still in him, but it was lots of little bits. The worst injuries couldn't be stitched as the flesh was removed. They did heal cleanly though, as they could drain while they healed. The scars were obvious.

I read this thinking I knew you, this is almost exactly what happened to my friend.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

This is why I ride with two cameras, one facing forward and one backwards.

You do not need expensive GoPros, these work, I've been using them for years using velcro mountings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5MP-Bike...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

These are also good and come with the velcro mountings.

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Last edited:

jnb

Visit site
@Red-1 that made my blood run cold. I have a forum friend, who lost her horse as a teenager to a similar incident. She hasn't ridden on the road since, she's in her 30s now.
Everyone. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear a camera! The Police cannot deny anything to video evidence no matter how much of a pain in the arse it is to them. Your insurance company will go after the driver on your behalf if you have evidence.

God forbid any of us are ever in that position, however.
As @ybcm says they don't have to be a Cambox or GoPro. Just a cheap bullet cam on elastic at the side of your hat will do, it won't damage your head if you fall off and might make drivers think.

I have a Cambox but still wear my old bullet cam on the side of my helmet as a visible deterrent - pointing to it (after requesting a driver slows down) has made a hell of a difference. I know it won't help if they can't see you due to whatever, but.....

Edit: This is the one I wear, I have an elastic strap with Velcro to mount it - £35

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194436523416?hash=item2d4551e598:g:8eIAAOSwVo1hZuYi

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Blo*dy Hell, Red-1! I would have been just as angry as you, I completely understand why you couldn't let it go, your horse was being blamed for something that was in no way his fault. I'm glad that you did eventually get to the truth. I agree that wearing a camera of any kind is a good idea and definitely we should all avoid riding in low sun. The only route out of our yard runs East/West and even though it is a no-through road, part of it has a 40mph speed limit and visitors do race along it sometimes, so it is something that we have to be aware of when riding or walking the dogs (road has no pavement/ verge).

OP I'm glad you were ok,if somewhat shaken.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have been blinded by the sun before now. There is a notorious road that used to be the main road out of town, not so busy now. Someone we know was riding home on their bicycle and was the first on the scene where a motorist had driven into the back of a staionery lorry, as they simply could not see, and I know they coudn't see as I had driven down that same road at the same sort of time in October.

We had similar once. Pulling up at some lights on a quiet road, car behind us didn't see us or the traffic lights and veered round us and up on to the grass verge. She was very shaken up!

I'm terrified of hitting a cyclist when the sun is that low. Most round here don't wear hi viz and completely blend in to the bushes at the side of the road.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
A neighbour years ago hit a road worker when she was coming home one evening in low sun. He died at the scene. A few minutes later a police car arrived and nearly did the same. Low sun is one of the main causes of road collisions yet people still drive too fast in low sun, just like they do in fog, ice, rsin, the dark ...

On another note, if you're looking for another way to slow traffic when they do see you, these things are excellent

www.passpixi.com

AnShanDan

Visit site
Thanks OP for reminding us all how dangerous low sun can be, and thanks to Red-1 as well for sharing her horrible accident. Words fail me, thank goodness you and the horse did recover.

A friend's dad was very seriously injured when his car was run into by another at high speed when low sun blinded the other driver. He never really recovered properly.

I was out hacking in the spring this year on a very quiet, narrow country lane. A police van tried to pass us impatiently and terrified my horse to the point where she spun me right off. The driver said they "didn't know about horses". I mean, if you drive a police vehicle surely a quick read of the Highway Code might be an idea?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

OMG that is horrific - you both were so lucky, doesn't bare thinking about - so glad you lived to tell the tale

eahotson

Visit site

Glad you and your horse are OK.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'm glad your ok. I haven't read the replies, i don't read negative hacking stories (I also don't watch falling off videos on YouTube so nothing personal to anyone, its self preservation) I bought a high viz that has a flashing band of red across the back and two shoulders strips that flash white, plus a flashing headband. The battery is USB so easily chargeable and i dont ride without it now. There is only so much a standard high viz will do! Lights flashing does really help.

asmp

Visit site
I'm glad your ok. I haven't read the replies, i don't read negative hacking stories (I also don't watch falling off videos on YouTube so nothing personal to anyone, its self preservation) I bought a high viz that has a flashing band of red across the back and two shoulders strips that flash white, plus a flashing headband. The battery is USB so easily chargeable and i dont ride without it now. There is only so much a standard high viz will do! Lights flashing does really help.
I do have a flashing hat band and a flashing whip but I really think in bright sunshine they wouldn’t show up. I was wearing a bright orange tabard as I think yellow is ineffective in sunshine. I probably should have had my hi viz orange wraps on the horse though.

littleshetland

Visit site
Very bright sunny days can be hazardous too if your riding under the dark shadows of trees, ie. intermittent dar/bright/dark/ bright. As car drivers zoom along going from super bright sun to dark shadows their (our) eyes don't have enough adjustment time to allow for the change in light levels. Ive only just seen riders and cyclists in the nick of time even though they've had Hi Viz on. I love my hacking, but I think Im beginning to love my arena more. Stay safe everyone.

Red-1, Ive just read your post properly. Your one very brave lady.