Lesson learnt out hacking this afternoon

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am glad you are ok .
The road that leads from the main road to our drive is lethal at this year when it’s sunny in the afternoon .
I would not dream on riding on it on a sunny day .

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Just a quick one if you are buying bullet cams etc, just be sure that the image quality is good enough to capture a vehicle registration from it, with some of them they capture a view of what happened but the quality of the image is inadequate to capture the number plate. Go Pro's are great, there are certainly cheaper alternatives but there's no point in getting something that will not enable you or the police to identify the individual or vehicle in an incident

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The image is fine on the ones I pointed to. They will need an SD card, and they record into 5 minute files, but they run for at least a couple of hours on a single charge and you can buy spare batteries for the Chilli ones.

Reactions: jnb

SEL

Visit site
That's made me shiver. OP - glad you are ok and Red - that's awful. I can understand why you were so angry. I don't think I'd let go easily either.

I did an advanced driving course many years ago with work and we were told never, ever to drive faster than you could stop in limited visibility. Low sun was mentioned as much as fog etc. I just think most people behind the wheel these days are in too much of a rush to get somewhere.

I'm on a single track road. It has plenty of pull-in places but rarely will a car driver wait for you to get to one before squeezing past. I've been thinking of cameras for a while, so thanks ycbm

Is there a particular colour that stands out better in low sun do you think? All my high-viz is yellow which can't be the best

Squeak

Visit site
I wish I hadn't read this read before going out for a hack! So glad you're all ok. I probably should invest in a camera, I'm doing a lot of hacking these days and last week I had a tractor zoom past without slowing down at all, I was furious.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If anyone has a bit more money to spend (or is on good terms with Santa) the Techalogic camera is fabulous and captures forward and rear imaging at the same time (2 SD cards required). Very helpful people to talk to so you know you're getting the right bits and bobs.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I was absolutely blinded driving home yesterday, went round a bend then uphill and bam! Sun directly in my face. Thankfully going quite slow anyway due to the bend and knowing how many people ride around there (including myself).

Came home feeling really rubbish about my riding on yesterday's hack as I got so nervous but couldn't really say why. Thinking about it and reading this thread has made me realise it probably is a lot about being on the roads. It didn't help having someone squeedge past with a horsebox that would have been close if I were on foot let alone on a horse. The horse I was riding is good in traffic but he was clearly not happy about it and I just thought for the sake of a few moments waiting for us to get to a gateway could have saved him (and me!) getting upset.

Hackback

Visit site
A friend of OH killed a woman leading her daughter on her pony down a country lane. He came round a bend and was completely blinded, sadly the mum and daughter were just on the other side of the bend. The coroner ruled it to be an accident (and even said the woman should have been on the inside of the horse) but of course that didn't make the friend feel any better. Horrible tragedy for all concerned.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This is why I ride with two cameras, one facing forward and one backwards.

You do not need expensive GoPros, these work, I've been using them for years using velcro mountings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5MP-Bike...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

These are also good and come with the velcro mountings.

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Just ordered a Chilli one, looked at them ages ago but never got round to it so appreciate the reminder!

I thought good for when on roads but also if I'm out solo hacking with share horse in case anything happens. She is good as gold and I take care of her but you never know what you might come across.

SEL

Visit site
I was absolutely blinded driving home yesterday, went round a bend then uphill and bam! Sun directly in my face. Thankfully going quite slow anyway due to the bend and knowing how many people ride around there (including myself).

Came home feeling really rubbish about my riding on yesterday's hack as I got so nervous but couldn't really say why. Thinking about it and reading this thread has made me realise it probably is a lot about being on the roads. It didn't help having someone squeedge past with a horsebox that would have been close if I were on foot let alone on a horse. The horse I was riding is good in traffic but he was clearly not happy about it and I just thought for the sake of a few moments waiting for us to get to a gateway could have saved him (and me!) getting upset.
The microcob is about as bombproof as you could expect a pony to be but we've had some idiots squeeze past recently - & we've got loads of pull in spots. Ruins your ride. I'm going to be a lot more conscious of low sun now

Ratface

Visit site
I have given up on hacking out. Mr H is reliable in traffic. Just as well, since we have had car drivers hitting our offside stirrup x2, throwing plastic bags out of side windows(which ended up across his eyes) throwing beer cans and bottles at us etc. We're in an area where the rich and famous live, as well as the rest of us ordinary mortals. Now we stick to our own land, and schools.
ETA to say motorcycle riders are generally polite and careful, as are, individually, cyclists. Racing cyclists are . . .fill in the description of your choice.