Lesson Report!

Pigeon

Visit site
My new years resolution was to get some lessons, and so I dutifully booked myself in for several with the Riding Club, only for Pip to have a drama in the trailer and lame himself :(

So I took Sims, and it was fantastic!! The instructor picked up on some habits I'd gotten into that were really easy to fix and made a huge difference instantly. Always a good start!

There were so many scary things going on, but he stayed so focused, such a good pony! Pip would have been a nervous wreck (a rider fell off in the lesson and loose horse started galloping about, horse in the field next door went crazy and had to be caught and brought in because it was threatening to jump out, and then got loose in the yard and was charging around) I'm not sure he even noticed :eek:

The main focus of the lesson was getting him to carry himself a bit better, and he's actually been very good recently (apart from canter which is still a bit dire) but I definitely noticed an improvement within the lesson. We did a lot of transitions within trot, shortening and lengthening his stride, which made a huge difference, and also lowering his frame and bringing him back up again.

He's still very unbalanced and green, but honestly he was so light in the hand for pretty much the whole time, I can't fault him. He's a bit of a tank, and goes in a gag for hacking/hunting/xc, so I was really pleased with the lightness! I think the leaning is a lack of balance, he's grown so much, I think he's still getting used to his legs!

He's just such a nice cheerful guy to ride, and very energetic - apparently his top lip wiggles when he's concentrating which is very cute. If you ride him properly he goes properly (I know that should be common logic, but easier said than done!!) and we definitely had moments of that today. I'm having to be so strict with myself to be really, really soft with my hands, because if you give him ANYTHING to lean against, he will, and then you've lost him and you will be going a million miles an hour :eek:

Some pics:

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

Little bit of lengthening where he doesn't totally faceplant. His head looks huge in this one, poor soul.

IMG_5829.jpg

Canter was unfortunately more like:

IMG_5666.jpg

With moments of:

IMG_5451.jpg

But we will get there, and canter is a million times better at home, it's just all a bit exciting in a new place with other horses. I need to keep his attention!

The pictures make me laugh because in some of them he looks dinky, and in others like a giant!

This would be one of the latter -

IMG_5116.jpg

But yes, so pleased with him. Every time I ride him I feel he improves (definitely a reflection on his attitude rather than my riding) and that is just the best feeling in the world.

And the cripple <3 He's been going out in the arena because it's dry (farrier didn't want him going out in the field/lake until his foot had healed a bit) and although he spends most of the time eating the grass under the fence, there are moments of energy. ;)

1798586_10200438757849816_74945792_n.jpg

EveningStar

Visit site
He looks great! What an active trot he has!
He sounds a bit like my boy - how do you manage to keep a light hand but contain the forward? I find it hard to soften as that normally sends us off halfway down the arena when he is in that sort of mood and we can end up in a bit of a tug of war which is far from ideal

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Lovely report and pictures, and Sims is massive! Also glad to see Pip is on the mend.
Who takes the pictures for you? I'd love someone to photograph my lessons but never have any takers lol.

x x x

Pigeon

Visit site
Thanks :D I loves him. Im sure it was Pip's plot, he gets to stand around eating all day while the baby goes on adventures :p

EveningStar, they sound very similar!! Sims will just get faster and faster, especially if I get into a pulling match with him, I'm obviously no opponent for that massive head and neck! I have to concentrate really hard on rising in a rhythm - the instructor said to push down when I sit (not so that I'm landing heavily, but so that I'm sitting for longer) and every time he starts to get fast, put on more leg and do a circle, and leave his mouth alone. It goes against intuition to drop the reins when it feels like you're going at breakneck speed, but it 100% worked for him. If he's really soft in the jaw and relaxed he seems to stay in a rhythm on his own, and he'll only do that if I'm really light with my hands.

My poor mother/trailer driver does the pics lol!! ;)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Me likey lots!! He's lush, almost looks like your piaffing in one of the shortened stride photos. I think he'll be cracking with a bit more work in him :)

EveningStar

Visit site
Thanks :D I loves him. Im sure it was Pip's plot, he gets to stand around eating all day while the baby goes on adventures :p

EveningStar, they sound very similar!! Sims will just get faster and faster, especially if I get into a pulling match with him, I'm obviously no opponent for that massive head and neck! I have to concentrate really hard on rising in a rhythm - the instructor said to push down when I sit (not so that I'm landing heavily, but so that I'm sitting for longer) and every time he starts to get fast, put on more leg and do a circle, and leave his mouth alone. It goes against intuition to drop the reins when it feels like you're going at breakneck speed, but it 100% worked for him. If he's really soft in the jaw and relaxed he seems to stay in a rhythm on his own, and he'll only do that if I'm really light with my hands.

My poor mother/trailer driver does the pics lol!! ;)

Thanks for that - it seems like something we definitely need to try :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Thankyou!!!! :D I have another one on sunday, I'm hoping he keeps up the good behaviour!! :D

He was a bit of a gamble, buying a 4 year old for my 14 year old sister as a step up from ponies (I know, I know!!) and he was advertised as 15.1hh and just kept growing, but he's so lovely, one of the nicest equine personalities ever :)

Siennamum, yep with BMRC, and the lesson was Anna Gallie (I have no idea if that's how you spell it!!)