Lesson with unqualified instructor - any comeback ?

scoobydoo

community.webshots.com
We accepted the offer of instruction with someone we knew for a riding lesson on our own horse on their yard premises.

Our horse was lame next day it would appear that the horse was pushed to hard in the lesson resulting in fatigue and then tendon damage.

Do we have any comeback on the person who took the lesson ?

thanks

ladyt25

Visit site
I am reading this right that you were riding the horse in the lesson or the instructor? If you then surely it's down to you to know your horse and how fit/unfit they are and what is asking too much of them?

If the instructor was riding were you not there watching if this was a new instructor to you? Unfortunately sometimes horses go lame. Fact of life. Unless they did something irresponsible then no, why would you have any 'comeback'?

eggs

Visit site
I doubt it. They are unlikely to have insurance and it would be just about impossible to prove that the lameness was caused by their negligence.

Lolo

Visit site
If you were riding, I'd say you have no comeback at all.

If they were riding, you may have some. But horses go lame and you'd be hard pushed to prove it wasn't an injury that came about because of an extended period of damage building up and then suddenly giving...

Archiepoo

Visit site
We accepted the offer of instruction with someone we knew for a riding lesson on our own horse on their yard premises.

Our horse was lame next day it would appear that the horse was pushed to hard in the lesson resulting in fatigue and then tendon damage.

thanks

sorry no comeback on the instructor _hope ur horse is ok.x

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Qualified or not, this would be very hard to prove, surely. Have you proof that this particular instructor 100% caused the lameness. I highly doubt it. How is an instructor supposed to know how much a particular horse's leg can take? If anyone, its the rider/owner who knows the fitness/health of a horse and who should say if they think the horse is too tired. These things happen, its a shame, but its part of having horses.

mandwhy

Visit site
Your horse, your responsibility. If the instructor was riding it might be different but it would be difficult to prove even then. I would and have told previous instructors I think we need to ease up for the horse's or more likely my benefit (I am unfit!).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Comeback for what, how do you prove they are at fault and caused the lameness, if you are also prepared to be instructed by someone not quallified to teach surely that is the risk you take.

RainbowDash

Visit site
If you were riding then its YOUR responsibity to say if the horse is being worked too hard/not fit enough and needs a break etc. This would apply whether an instructor was qualified or not - unless they knew the horse very well and its level of fitness/general health. If it was the instructor riding then that is different :)

Shooting Star

Visit site
Unlikely I would have thought given that you knew that they weren't qualified and went ahead anyway, plus with yourself being the rider like many above I'd assume that if you weren't happy with how hard the horse was being worked that you would stop.

Amaranta

Visit site

thanks

Really? The mind boggles!

Your horse, your lesson, your responsibility.

Dear God!

Pigeon

Visit site
Oh for god's sake.

If you were riding the horse, and you pushed it too hard, it is entirely your fault!!

twiggy2

Visit site
my good god why would it even enter your head?

many unqualified instructors are as good if not better than those with qualifications. people need to do their research and watch people teach and get recommendations. i know three amazing instructors that are not qualified, two are dyslexic so never tried, one never had the money and now is busy enough without the exam. I have another friend that backed my mare, teaches for pony club(her team are always in the ribbons) she passes out due to anxiety attacks when exams are in the offing-not everyone is academic or able to sit exams and i wish people would give them a chance

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Qualified or not, this would be very hard to prove, surely. Have you proof that this particular instructor 100% caused the lameness. I highly doubt it. How is an instructor supposed to know how much a particular horse's leg can take? If anyone, its the rider/owner who knows the fitness/health of a horse and who should say if they think the horse is too tired. These things happen, its a shame, but its part of having horses.

Exactly this. I can't believe you could even consider you might have a "claim" op!

ozpoz

Visit site
I find this blame culture incomprehensible..
It is a very destructive way of thinking and living. : (