Lethargy whilst changing coat

alexomahony

Visit site
As above really - one of my horses becomes quite lethargic during exercise when he's changing coat, whilst my other one doesn't become affected by it at all.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks x

paddi22

Visit site
yep i have one horse that i have to put on a tonic when his coat is changing. it just totally seems to take it out of him

chaps89

Visit site
There's another thread about this at the moment OP - created by poiuytrewq and called something like feeling flat in February :)
I couldn't work out why going into and coming out of winter mine would get so lethargic - my instructor pointed out she grows one heck of a winter coat and that coat changes use a lot of protein and can take quite alot out of them. As such mine gets a handful of Saracens re-leve twice a day over those periods and it seems to be enough to perk her up without causing her to be silly.

SEL

Visit site
Militaire drops weight at coat change - a lot. I'm guessing a huge amount of energy goes into growing his enormous coat and shedding it again.

The Appy just gets itchy. I'd quite like her to drop weight instead....

Annagain

Visit site
Monty drops weight. He's fine most of the winter then it falls off him from mid-Feb to the end of March. He picks up again as soon as the spring grass is through properly.
I've not noticed lethargy though. In fact he was very lively this morning, beautifully forward. I should school him in half light and gale force winds more often!

windand rain

Visit site
This could be why horses seem to drop a lot of weight in February March and April although I have noticed the lethargy more in Autumn as they are growing such thick heavy coats.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi, yes it was me that did the other thread. Mine has gone from manic to ploddy and has done at this time of year for a few years. So weird but I’m very relieved to learn it’s a thing and fairly common.

catkin

Visit site
Years ago Reiner Klimke wrote a biography of his Olympic champion horse Ahlerich - and he always had a break through the time of his coat change because it affected him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wish. Mine are behaving like lunatics so much so I have left them out tonight to see if it curtails their enthusiasm for cat leaping, bucking and galloping round the field. Needless to say until they settle down I shall be wearing a parachute when on board.

My 2 are the same hacking is much fun at the moment with the cantering on the spot and jogging, we even had a mini rear last week:oops:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Dave is also looking a bit slim. He's far from lethargic, it was like riding a box of springs tonight, but he's just not looking his rotund "Exie" self.

swilliam

Visit site
Our mini Shetland always goes very flat. We had him blood tested last year because he had been particularly bad, and he turned out to have liver damage - still trying to sort him out, poor little thing.

Lyle

Visit site
My WB always drops a bit of condition during Autumn. He grows a massive winter coat in a matter of weeks. Spring is fine because the grass comes through and he takes longer with that coat transition. Someone recommended I try a couple of VAM shots.

Sprat

Visit site
I’ve popped my mare on propell plus, generally seems to do the trick for the few weeks when she is feeling flat