Lets talk Steamy

Shavings

Visit site
now dont get to excited by the title before i go any further!

Talking about hay/haylage steamers

so first question is can you steam haylage?

in the winter my only option in haylage but fat bum lives on fresh air (hay is costly at £5 a small square which last us a day, joys of a small island)
some one has said to me steam the hayage to take some of the goodness out, is this right?

it would be feed with in max of 10 hours of steaming (stay in steam box until morning)

how long would you steam for?

has any one built there own steamer?

i have heard you can with a wall paper steam, time block and a large box/wheelie bin

any hints tips advice or even photos welcome here guys i have never feed steamed any thing so really dont no, and the yard dont like soaking s its wasting water

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I steam hay so a little different, but i just put the hay in a bin and pour on 5-6 kettles of boiling water and then put the lid on top. Tada steamed hay!

I think this is much better than using a wall paper steamer; I'd be nervous about how much it would cost in terms of electricity to keep one of those going regularly for a few hours.

TPO

Visit site
I have a haygain but I have a horse with respiratory issues and HG were the ones that guaranteed high enough temps and was built for purpose. My dad is an electrician and H&S nut so wouldn't let me repurpose anything to fashion a DIY steamer

Shavings

Visit site
thank you all, looks like i am going to have to twist some ones arm to let me soak

how long do you soak for?

can you soak haylage? and how long can you leave it before its feed?

its all to make sure he isnt getting to much goodness- i dont need weight on him trust me!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I approached the problem differently when I bought an obese mare, her companion needed dust-free forage but podge needed to lose weight, so they were both fed haylage. Podge got a smaller amount and a trug full of plain oat straw chaff to fill up on. Because ours are at home Podge could have her haylage ration topped up 3 times in the depth of winter, last lot at midnight, so that thse didn't stuff the lot down at once. We don't use haynets but did weigh carefully what she was given. She always had some chaff left in the morning. I did try giving her long straw but she colicked on that.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a haygain but I have a horse with respiratory issues and HG were the ones that guaranteed high enough temps and was built for purpose. My dad is an electrician and H&S nut so wouldn't let me repurpose anything to fashion a DIY steamer
Yep this is the thing, it’s all very well everyone boiling kettles (and that’s what used to do) but in order to steam hay properly it has to reach higher temperatures mid bale or net for a longer period of time than a kettle of water is capable of.
They are expensive but.....

Reactions: TPO