Letter in Horse magazine - surely there must be more to it?

horsegirl

Visit site
HI,

Has anyone read the letter in the latest issue of Horse (I think it is Horse anyway) about the person who bought a poor condiiton horse from an auction and was then reported to the RSPCA? Does anyone know about this, surely there must be details missing?

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Yep I read that letter. It does seems really weird. Didn't the lady say that she has had to sell her other horses and house (or did I dream that bit??) The mag is at home or I'd post the letter on here. If she is looking after the horse then why would the RSPCA take it away? surely she can prove when she bought it, would she not of taken pictures of it so that she has before and afters???

All very strange I agree

horsegirl

Visit site
Yes she said she sold her horses and her land and was waiting to see whether she would be prosecuted. It doesn't make any sense to me, why would you let them just take the horse and why sell the others and your land?

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
When I read it I thought.... what???? that doesn't make any sense at all..... I am surprised that Horse printed the letter as although the letter writer reckons she is trying to forewarn people what could happen surely alarm bells would of rung with them too?? No-one is going to get prosecuted for trying to help a sick animal, it just doesn't ring true at all

pixie

Visit site
Surely if it was in that bada condition then she would have had both her vet and farrier out. If that was the case then I'm sure she could give their number to RSPCA to confirm that they are treating the animal. Which makes me think that she hasn't sought veterinary advice. This also makes me wonder if the animal was actually improving under her care. Perhaps she just didn't really have the experience to help such an animal.

Just a thought anyways.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I saw same letter in Horse and Rider - the fact is if all your land, stables etc are in excellent condition and all the others are fine there would be no need. You would also have evidence that you bought the horse recently from auction and it should have been vetted. I really think there must be more to it.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I saw same letter in Horse and Rider - the fact is if all your land, stables etc are in excellent condition and all the others are fine there would be no need. You would also have evidence that you bought the horse recently from auction and it should have been vetted. I really think there must be more to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, there is a lot more too it

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Why did she sell her horses and land?
Would someone be very, very kind and copy letter out for me?
I'd go out and buy it but I'm a bit far away
smile.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
Magazine is at home, will do it tonight unless someone else can do it first. She does not say why in the letter though, it is really odd. I wonder if she has had her horses removed for neglect/cruelty and she is trying to make up a cover story?

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Taken from Horse & Rider Magazine.........

<span style="color:blue"> I read the article about a reader who had rescued a mare from the abattoir in the July issue of Horse&amp;Rider, and wanted to warn other readers of my experience.

I bought an aged mare, in a very similar condition, from a horse sale. I felt so sorry for her and after worming and careful feeding, she began to improve. After moving her to a field, where I felt she would be happier, I found myself being reported to the RSPCA. I have given up my land, sold my horses, had to sign the mare over to the RSPCA, and I am now waiting to see if I am to be prosecuted for neglect.

All I wanted to do was make a mare's life better because I felt she deserved it. I hope this letter will warn other readers that good intentions can sometimes cause so much upset.

S Romanelli, Cardiff</span>

found a copy in my mates office!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That is sooo barmy. Oh, but perhaps she means 'her' land as in she was renting it? Don't understand why she sold her horses...
Why would the mag print such a vague letter? Do you think they might've had to edit it quite a lot (libel and all) and so much of the meaning was lost?

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is sooo barmy. Oh, but perhaps she means 'her' land as in she was renting it? Don't understand why she sold her horses...
Why would the mag print such a vague letter? Do you think they might've had to edit it quite a lot (libel and all) and so much of the meaning was lost?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely if thats the case they would of been better off not printing it at all? It really is a weird one

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely if thats the case they would of been better off not printing it at all? It really is a weird one

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of what I meant
grin.gif
Course... it HAS got us all talking about it, so it might've been a cunning ploy!
LOL!! Just kidding
smile.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Haven't read the letter, but surely if her other horses are in good condition and she could prove she brought the horse from the sale there would be no issues with this....all a bit odd if you ask me.

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Very odd....

However, I used to work for The Scout Association, where they produced Scouting Magazine.

I was gutted to find out that the vast majority of the letters they printed were made up......

Food for thought....

katelarge

Visit site
Um, well, having worked on mags for years I can confirm this does happen - basically because you have a dedicated letters page to fill and nobody writes in! Now I am NOT saying this is the case with Horse.

But on several mags I've been on we've thought "why do we never get letters about x?" so what we did was call someone we knew and discuss "issue x", then they would agree to send in a letter in their name. The thing is that sometimes when the editorial staff sit down and "invent" a letter, the next week/month, you get loads saying "What an intersting issue, Mrs Bloggs raised last month..."