Letter in this months Horse Magazine

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Just wondered what everyone thought to this. It is published in this months magazine (do try not to spray coffee all over your keyboard - you have been warned :D)

I was driving down a country road and once again felt obliged to slow down for a horse and rider. Isn't it about time horses overcame their fear of traffic?

Surely, some form of controlled exposure to cars and buses would, in time, relieve horses from the restrictions imposed by their fear.

Or do people want to keep their horses scared? Would horses perhaps be running the country if it wasn't for all this mollycoddling?

I am currently working on a training programme for horses that will put an end to this once and for all.

Roy Greavesley, Nottingham.

I, for one would be very interested to see his 'training programme', and if it puts an end to this 'once and for all', I think he's onto a winner :D :D

TrasaM

Visit site
Maybe when he's sorted the horses out he will run a curse for drivers? I had one start his car up yesterday just as I wes riding past it! Did I glare at him..oh yes:mad:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
A sadly ignorant driver, who doesn't realise its often not the traffic horses are scared of, but something else (that the rider may not even be able to see or hear) that causes the horse to spook in front of a vehicle. Horses have brains, they're not machines, a rider will never be able to guarantee they won't spook so they will always need traffic to pass slowly for everyone's sake, including car drivers! This is the bit they don't seem to understand in their annoyance at being slowed up. It's for their own safety as well as ours. I don't think it will ever change unless learner drivers are educated to two basic facts ie that horses can jump five foot sideways in the blink of an eye and that the rider may not be able to prevent it.

Shantara

Visit site
LOL! He's probably going to get horsey bus conductors or something :p

As far as training horses to go on the roads goes...it does remind me of getting a job "You can't work if you don't have experience and you can't get experience because you can't work!"

Shantara

Visit site
A sadly ignorant driver, who doesn't realise its often not the traffic horses are scared of, but something else (that the rider may not even be able to see or hear) that causes the horse to spook in front of a vehicle. Horses have brains, they're not machines, a rider will never be able to guarantee they won't spook so they will always need traffic to pass slowly for everyone's sake, including car drivers! This is the bit they don't seem to understand in their annoyance at being slowed up. It's for their own safety as well as ours. I don't think it will ever change unless learner drivers are educated to two basic facts ie that horses can jump five foot sideways in the blink of an eye and that the rider may not be able to prevent it.

Well said! I think Ned's only ever spooked at a car once (it had a rattly trailer on the back) but the few times he's spooked near a car, it's been something in the hedge, or similar. He couldn't really care less about cars/buses. Like you said, we want them to slow for their safety. I don't think people understand what happens if you take a horses legs out...where does a tonne of horse go? It certainly doesn't float!

Capriole

Visit site
Well hes got a point, lets see how good his training programme is, because all this driving with due consideration for other road users is so time consuming.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Whilst he doesn't put his point across very well, he has got a point. I find the most infuriating people on the road are the idiot riders who seem to demand everyone stops what they're going so that they can ride past like some sort of royalty! If people have such a problem with their horses on te roads, being able to send them on a course for someone to begin to 'traffic proof' said horse should help their confidence issues, and thereby make them more confident on the roads, this confidence then travelling down the reins to their horse.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My mare always spooks at yellow cars.......but is fine in traffic unless you get the ignorant bleep bleeps that rev the engine just as they get level with you.....

Natch

Visit site
I was driving down a country road and once again felt obliged to slow down for a horse and rider. Isn't it about time horses overcame their fear of traffic?

Surely, some form of controlled exposure to cars and buses would, in time, relieve horses from the restrictions imposed by their fear.

Or do people want to keep their horses scared? Would horses perhaps be running the country if it wasn't for all this mollycoddling?

I am currently working on a training programme for horses that will put an end to this once and for all.

Roy Greavesley, Nottingham.

Who is this Roy Greavesley? :confused: Do we have an address? :p

Gosh darn those pesky horses who refuse to overcome their fear of traffic and continue to be restricted by it :rolleyes:

I very much look forward to how Roy intends to conduct the controlled program without any need for the cars and busses to have to slow down. Why should be stop there? He could design a system whereby they don't need to go to the effort of steering past horses, either. Possibly some form of compulsory breeding program whereby horses become wafer thin, or breed winged Pegasus' (or should that be Pegasi?) so that they don't take up any road space at all.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I agree with sugar & spice re why its important to pass wide & slow, & the man does come across as an idiot. But I get equally annoyed by riders who think the world should come to a halt when they hack.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Sorry but that's really not the car drivers fault. Admittedly as a horse person I would have waited until you had gone past but not everyone understands what might upset a horse.

Ps keep your right leg on a bit stronger and have a bit more neck bend - it's trickier for horses to shy when ridden like that (although it won't always stop them!).

JFTDWS

Visit site
Whilst he doesn't put his point across very well, he has got a point. I find the most infuriating people on the road are the idiot riders who seem to demand everyone stops what they're going so that they can ride past like some sort of royalty! If people have such a problem with their horses on te roads, being able to send them on a course for someone to begin to 'traffic proof' said horse should help their confidence issues, and thereby make them more confident on the roads, this confidence then travelling down the reins to their horse.

What AB says :D

Kat

Visit site
hmmmm I think he could be onto something....... I find that I most often have to slow down in residential areas because some halfwit has put in place another boring 30mph limit when i could be sailing through at 60mph. Perhaps Roy could train these pesky pedestrians to keep off the roads so i can drive straight through without slowing?

majors

Visit site
He is just one of 'those people' never happy unless he is moaning/complaining, we all have to slow down for various things on the road. Walkers, cyclists, children we could all moan, but most people have a life. I am very considerate of cyclists when I am driving unfortunately they dont return the favour when near my horses out riding, but hay ho its just life!!!;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sudden loud engine noise. He's good with cars trucks busses etc but sudden unexpepected noises..not too keen and shyied away from it into middle of road.

A car starting is not a loud noise there's no way I would blame the driver if one of mine did this I would blame myself I M in charge of training the horse.
I am becoming increasing annoyed by the the whole world needs to revolve around our horses attitude .

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sudden loud engine noise. He's good with cars trucks busses etc but sudden unexpepected noises..not too keen and shyied away from it into middle of road.

If that's the case then the remedy is entirely down to you to get him used to them at home. Record every car/lorry/bus/train starting up, crank the volume up and play the tape to him each and every day; he'll soon get used to it.
You do have the remedy yourself but obviously just haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Marydoll

Visit site
Good luck with that mate :D
My horse is good in traffic and copes well with mmost road users vehicles,lorries etc at shows, doesnt bat an eyelid, but air brakes at the side or close behind us are always an issue when on the road, how do i sort that out then mate :D

rhino

Visit site
My horse is good in traffic and copes well with mmost road users vehicles,lorries etc at shows, doesnt bat an eyelid, but air brakes at the side or close behind us are always an issue when on the road, how do i sort that out then mate :D

Cobra tied to each leg. Sorted :D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Marydoll, mate, just do exactly the same. Record the noises that upset your horse then bore him to death by playing it back to him each and every day then go and record some more and keep repeating as necessary; very easy solution but it usually works, same goes for clippers. If he's scared of plastic bags then hang some up in his stable. Just think and ask yourself what he's scared off then replicate it as many times as you can.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I look forward to his book "My Life in the Fast Lane" with the follow up "My Year in Intensive Care".

After that do you think he can create a training programme for chldren walking on roads with no pavements, all cyclists and dog walkers, thus ensuring that all drivers can continue at a consistant speed, about 1/2 a mile less than the speed limit, which he obviously believes is actially a target. This of course will NOT be dependant on rain, snow or fog :D