Letting someone else compete your horse

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'd say" thank you for the offer to take him showjumping. If I decide I want him to do showjumping and need a rider you will be my first call".

I think this is very good. It means you've made the decision and any further, "Oh but what if I... " from him is irrelevant.

He's probably a perfectly nice guy but that is not the point.

Even if your horse is insured for all things, you would still be out of a horse if something went amiss. And the right horse is not easy to find. Stick to your guns. You don't need to give reasons.

Pixeldust

Visit site
Thanks all for your help - I've said no. I'm going to talk to the livery owner when I get back from holiday to understand exactly what their expectations are here. If they expect me to ok this then I'm going to bite the bullet and take him off working livery and just pay the difference, it is too much risk for me to carry, and I didnt buy him as a show jumper. I'm ok with him doing jump lessons in the school environment but I'm not comfortable beyond that.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
If there's no insurance then certainly not.
I recently let my friends daughter take my 5 year old mare out to a few small competitions. She's a fabulous sensitive rider and so much braver than I am for cross country and jumping. She's giving my mare a lovely start to competing, and my mare is giving her the opportunity to compete and bring on a youngster. However all parties involved are insured and I'm happy to trust friend and her daughter with my girl as I know they look after her so well when they're out and about :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Firstly you need a written contract with the riding school so both parties know what is & is not allowed with your horse. The person who jumps your horse & wants to go to shows with him also needs a written contract & I would suggest that you contact your insurance company & make sure the horse is covered for show jumping also ensure the horse is covered to be jumped by someone other than the owner. Does this person who jumps your horse pay anything to you for the privilege because he certainly should as he appears to be getting something for nothing specially as he wants to go to shows.

If I was in your situation I would not have the horse taken to shows by someone, nor would I have the horse jumped at home when it is not insured to do that. As it stands at the moment the rider doing the jumping is enjoying himself for free & if anything goes wrong & the horse gets injured he walks away & you get the vets bills, the recovery costs, paying to keep a field ornament should the injury mean the horse cannot be ridden. You need to stop your horse being jumped without insurance & sort out what the ride should pay you if you decide to have him carry on jumping.

teddypops

Visit site
Firstly you need a written contract with the riding school so both parties know what is & is not allowed with your horse. The person who jumps your horse & wants to go to shows with him also needs a written contract & I would suggest that you contact your insurance company & make sure the horse is covered for show jumping also ensure the horse is covered to be jumped by someone other than the owner. Does this person who jumps your horse pay anything to you for the privilege because he certainly should as he appears to be getting something for nothing specially as he wants to go to shows.

If I was in your situation I would not have the horse taken to shows by someone, nor would I have the horse jumped at home when it is not insured to do that. As it stands at the moment the rider doing the jumping is enjoying himself for free & if anything goes wrong & the horse gets injured he walks away & you get the vets bills, the recovery costs, paying to keep a field ornament should the injury mean the horse cannot be ridden. You need to stop your horse being jumped without insurance & sort out what the ride should pay you if you decide to have him carry on jumping.
The horse is on working livery so the other rider would be paying the riding school. In return, the owner gets a reduced livery fee.

Pixeldust

Visit site
The horse is on working livery so the other rider would be paying the riding school. In return, the owner gets a reduced livery fee.

Yes, this exactly. He pays a "lease" ($370 a month) to get 2 lessons a week, I pay for livery at a cheaper rate ($90 a week vs up to $210 for full livery) which gets my horse cared for daily plus I get a lesson each week included. I pay for additional lessons on top.