Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis

Hawks27

Visit site
I am getting to the point of considering turnout next week as although she seems fairly happy in I don't agree with it and I'd like her to get some decent grazing if it dries up a bit more.

The turnout boots I bought before are rubbish as don't extend over hoof so that is where they rubbed her when we tried them. What are the equilibrium ones made of as if they are thinner they might sit better on her bony little legs!

Does anyone have any ideas for a barrier cream that I can mix with sun block?

Landf, how is yours getting on now? Any improvement?

I have the equilibrium close contact boots as thier a breathable fabric and he is a naturally hot horse and hasn't sweated in the boots and he was out from 7.30 to 5 yesterday so had a good days wear, they have a soft neoprene bit that extends over the hoof the upper fabric is dimpled and quite soft and he seems to be getting on fine with them, the boots aren't cheap new about £60/pair but i managed to get mine on ebay for around £25 - £30 am desperately trying to get a 2nd pair so i can wash and dry them easier

Rebels

Visit site
Second the equilibrium chaps, super hard wearing to. A dusting of muddy buddy mud fever powder also helps inside if the ground is wet. Ours didnt get on with suncream, still to much UV hence his summer UV boots as well.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Well I managed to get some Equilibrium boots 2nd hand to try so she has had her first little bit of turnout 2 days ago which I am pleased about. Only did 40 mins just to give her a chance for a roll etc (the horse next door has eaten the wooden fence posts in her 5 week absence so the electric tape was a bit droopy hence only 40 mins supervised :eek:) but the boots seemed quite good. It is drizzling again now which means track to field will get muddy again but at least she's been out now. She even broke into a trot at one point :D

I am now thinking more about supplements to aid recovery from the inside out as lesions are almost totally gone; she is on Brewers Yeast and Garlic at the moment (just because I inherited them from a sales livery that got sold!) but does anyone who has had contact with this Dr. Knottenbelt guy (spelling??) or done more experimentation with this condition feedwise have any suggestions for immune boosting herbs or MudGuard type supplements please?

I found a link the other day to an American website where a lady who sadly lost her horse to LV (but combined with another immune issue) had posted a mine of information she'd researched from worldwide sources about the condition and it was really interesting. It was on my ipad so will link it to here next time I'm on it.

Hawks27

Visit site
My lad is in his 2nd week fo being turned out in the boots allday seeming ok so far most of scabs have gone still a few stubborn ones in thier, he has slight puffyness in a morning in fetlocks but vet is confident this will resolve in a few weeks and is probably just damage to lymphatics drainage system form the infection. it goes away while he is out during the day so this is likely correct as movement would shift lymphatic build up.
Am using the keratex mud shield powder for wet weather, i already had him on micronized linseed brewers yeast seaweed and rosehips but after much research it seems its low levels of zinc and copper that can cause weak skin so am going to swap him to pro balance + linseed which i intended to do anyway as his feet still aren't as good as i'd like for a barefoot horse and this has zinc and copper in it as well. though from googling i have found other zinc/copper feed supplements like copper triton and wonder if these would be better though from this forum alone pro-balance or pro-hoof from progressive earth seams to very well recomended for skin and hoof conditions.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Right, I thought I would share this with you guys; I actually contacted Dr. Knottenbelt asking about feed/supplements to help with this condition and what a lovely man :) ; despite not knowing me from Adam he sent me the detailed information below and said it was fine for me to share it with you so I hope this is of help:

"This condition is quite unique in that it is due to a rather unusual immune response we think to pollen and other proteins from yellow flowered plants last summer. A few horses have a 'reaction' between the plant proteins and their own antibodies and these complexes are deposited in the outer layers (not usually the deeper ones) of the skin. Where they form in white skinned areas they are photoactivatable and so when they are exposed to sunlight they react and cause inflammation. This will continue while those complexes remain and because they are big molecules they have to grow / wear out!! That can take months and any flares that occur simply turn the revert clock backwards!!! The downside is that you have to be very careful therefore to avoid flares / management break downs. The upside of putting effort in now is that it seldom if ever recurs once its gone.

It's not immune boosting you need it's immune suppression if you need anything since it is a result of an abnormal antibody response! To help you can feed her out of galvanised trough if you can find one or you can add a zinc supplement but possibly the best extra measure is a small daily supply of sunflower oil or preferably evening primrose but the benefit of the latter is not worth the extra cost! It will come right but be careful now because the sun is getting bad and of course snow is very bad!!!"

I was very grateful to hear about the molecular structure and how this condition actually 'works' so to speak as other info available has been a bit muddled and unclear. And am also gladdened to hear that in most cases if properly managed initially then it hopefully will never happen again. So there is hope for all of us!

Hawks27

Visit site
Thats fantastic information thank you veyr much for sharing, i will ccertainyl add some oil to my lads feed as no harm in it and now pay dya is here i am ordering him some pro-balance as well for the zinc hoepfully he will never get this again hes almost cleared up now just a handful os cabs in his hind legs and they are lessening daily and the hairs grown back the boots seem to be working great for him

Tigo

New User
Visit site
Do you have an email address for Dr Knotterbelt, I would be very grateful for some advise on my boy.

Does only one have any recommendation for zinc supplements and how much to give them?

Many thanks

Silverfire

Visit site
Do your horses have a strong pulse on there pasterns with this? My horse has some scabs on her fetlocks at the moment and quite often she has got a strong pulse on her pastern.

Billabongchick

Visit site
I can't say I have noticed this but then I try to not handle her legs as much as possible other than when applying cream or bandaging to ride as the skin is quite pink still. They are usually a bit filled from being stood in the stable prior to riding too so I doubt a pulse would be that easy to feel anyway.

Billabongchick

Visit site
How is everyone getting on with this now? Ours is getting turnout in equilbrium chaps most days now and generally looking better although the scabs left seem to come and go in terms of angryness. Legs get puffy in mornings if in so trying to get her out as much as poss to help drainage. Have got her on zinc and sunflower oil as suggested in earlier post.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Hello all who were posting on this; I have been trialling Equimed AG boots (silver and carbon lining) that I got 2nd hand from a friend. Been using them for 3-4 weeks and gone from hideous scabs to almost totally gone/healthy skin. My vet was shocked when she happened to pop into yard yesterday and I showed her our current progress as she thought our mare would be scarred for a long time due to the severity of the lesions.

If your horse is stabled at any point (these can only be used inside) then please do yourself a HUGE favour and get some as it has massively changed how I am dealing with this condition. No more creams that bedding sticks to and irritating legs with washing; these boots just go on clean legs whenever in the stable and do their thing. They are expensive (hence why I took a punt on them working when I got offered 2nd hand at vastly reduced price) but bearing in mind how much I spent on mudfever stuff and then vets stuff since diagnosis I just wish I'd known how good they were. I think the zinc powder and sunflower oil added to her feed (as suggested by Dr. Knottenbelt) has helped hugely too.

Anyway, wanted you all to know as it has been such a success after a horrible horrible winter treating it.

Street_Skill

Visit site
Hi,

My Arab mare was diagnosed with this in the late 90's-at this time I was told that there were only around 12 confirmed cases in the country. She was grey, with absolutely no pigmentation on any of her lower legs, but thankfully only the near fore was affected. The leg was HUGE and she developed massive scabs the worst of which was about the size of the palm of my hand on her fetlock. The treatment was very long and drawn out and consisted of udder cream mixed with granular antibiotics applied topically to the whole of the lower leg. The leg was then covered with cling film and a bandage applied gently over the top to soften the scabs. I then gently washed the cream/antibiotic mixture off which usually took the scabs with it. I also had good results with Calendula cream-the good quality stuff from a herbalist rather than the type you can buy from Boots. I can't remember if I box rested her or not. I think she may have been initially but she wasn't the type that you could coop up for too long so turning her out with the leg bandaged to protect it from the sun was a happy medium for her. I did get on top of it eventually and she did make a full recovery. She was always sensitive to light and I also found that she was prone to lymphangitis after this. During the summer she would nearly always develop a few scabs on that leg and would also get very bad sunburn on her pink nose. I managed this fairly easily with topical moisturisers, factor 50 children's sun block and keeping her working! She did go back in to full ridden work and never really looked back. I sadly lost her prematurely at the age of 16 due to unrelated pedal bone rotation.

She was always a fighter and there was never any doubt in my mind that she would pull through, however I don't know if I would have felt the same way if it had affected more than one leg.

I hope this helps-good luck with your horse.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Just thought I'd point you guys in the direction of this ad I saw as I know some of you were having issues getting hold of sun chaps due to Equilibrium not selling them this year due to redesign. I have a full set and can't afford spares but they are hard to come by and someone on NFED has some in a tack room clear out sale here http://www.nfed.co.uk/index35.htm. Hopefully they might be good to someone if still available? Not my ad by the way in case I get accused of advertising on here but I struggled to get mine on eBay etc.

msarah

New User
Visit site
Hi does your horse still struggle with this? Have you tried Equi-Med Ag boots? www.equimedag.com I have had boots for mud fever but notice that people have used them to help with LV - there's a testimonial on the website too.

Billabongchick

Visit site
I've got rid of mine totally with the Equimed boots and not had a problem since. Almost a year of no issues now long may it continue although still turnout booting just in case. Also still feeding Biotin for the high zinc content.