Levothyroxine for weight loss (horses)

Murphy88

Visit site
Levothyroxine definitely has a place in the management of laminitis, and I have used it regularly for cases where dietary restriction has failed to achieve the desired weight loss - both alone and in combination with metformin +/or prascend in metabolic horses. I would say if used as directed by your vet then side effects are minimal - the main thing is that you have to gradually wean the horse off it, not just stop suddenly or you risk iatrogenic hypothyroidism, even if just a couple of days of treatment are missed. As others have said, thyroid disease in horses is really not a thing, and thyro-L is not treating the laminitis per se, but it is an adjunctive therapy to help weight loss while you get laminitis under control. If your vet is recommending it then I would have no issue using it, and in fact would happily use it on my own laminitic if she needed to lose weight.

Re the other endocrine testing - if your vet is in discussion with Liphook then it sounds like they are doing everything right, but one thing to consider is whether a baseline ACTH or a TRH-stim test was performed for Cushings? We are using the TRH stimulation test more and more and I have had several cases with normal baseline ACTH but positive TRH stimulation test.

Bertolie

Visit site
I was at BEVA (as in vet conference) last week, the upshot of the talks on lam and EMS is that there's hardly any data on metformin being actually useful, and Levothyroxine was still potentially useful for severe laminitics or horses unable to exercise.

It sounds like your horse is complicated and critical, and you and your vet knows best.

The most well regarded vets in the country for weight/EMS/laminitis say nobody should EVER go below 1.5% without vet recommendation and also very close veterinary supervision, just for all the people suggesting that's a good idea.

My vet was also there and spoke to someone who has been using Levothyroxine for horses with laminitis who seriously need to lose weight but cant be exercised. I think it was in conjunction with a university but cant remember which one. Apparently they have been getting very good results with it. They didnt report any serious side effects but having read a bit about the drug i am just a bit concerned. This may be my mares only option though.

Bertolie

Visit site
Levothyroxine definitely has a place in the management of laminitis, and I have used it regularly for cases where dietary restriction has failed to achieve the desired weight loss - both alone and in combination with metformin +/or prascend in metabolic horses. I would say if used as directed by your vet then side effects are minimal - the main thing is that you have to gradually wean the horse off it, not just stop suddenly or you risk iatrogenic hypothyroidism, even if just a couple of days of treatment are missed. As others have said, thyroid disease in horses is really not a thing, and thyro-L is not treating the laminitis per se, but it is an adjunctive therapy to help weight loss while you get laminitis under control. If your vet is recommending it then I would have no issue using it, and in fact would happily use it on my own laminitic if she needed to lose weight.

Re the other endocrine testing - if your vet is in discussion with Liphook then it sounds like they are doing everything right, but one thing to consider is whether a baseline ACTH or a TRH-stim test was performed for Cushings? We are using the TRH stimulation test more and more and I have had several cases with normal baseline ACTH but positive TRH stimulation test.

Thank you so much for your response. At this point in time i dont have anything to lose by giving it a try, she HAS to lose weight, or i lose her.

I think a baseline ACTH was done but not 100% sure. I will check with vet.

Last edited:

buzyizzy

Visit site
It works very well for weight loss in people. I have been taking it for six years and I promise that if the dosage is right and you take it at the correct time of day etc, it does help with weight loss. Formula4feet contains a mineral or similar that assists the thyroid and mine have been on it for over a year. No idea if it helps them, but the supplement suits them perfectly.

buzyizzy

Visit site
too much levothyroxine ( in humans) causes the heart rate to speed up and palpitations. it also causes the brain to work "overtime" cant switch off sleep properly causes a voracious appetite and osteoporosis. not worth the risk unless its actually needed for an underactive thyroid it does much more to the body than just speed up metabolism ( I've been taking it for about 30 years).

I have been taking it for six years and found that too low a dose causes palpitations, weight gain, depression, but not a huge appetite. I think each person is very individual and we shouldn't generalise. Also it depends when you take your meds.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It works very well for weight loss in people. I have been taking it for six years and I promise that if the dosage is right and you take it at the correct time of day etc, it does help with weight loss.
Can I ask why you are on levothyroxine? Presumably not just for weight loss, especially over a period of 6 years?

Clodagh

Visit site
Can I ask why you are on levothyroxine? Presumably not just for weight loss, especially over a period of 6 years?

I agree there must be more to it than that. Most people who have an under active thyroid put on weight as you no doubt know, and therefore taking thyroxine does lead to you losing it, but I have never heard of it being used as a weight loss product.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think a baseline ACTH was done but not 100% sure. I will check with vet.

We had an Appaloosa mare, in her 20's who was ACTH tested 3 times, all within normal range, although a slight increase each time. Then we did the TRH Stim test and it came back *8 times* acceptable level. She was put on Prascend immediately. I must admit in my experience PPID horses tend to lose weight on their own, so it doesn't seem likely but I would certainly ask for the TRH test.
Have you tried substituting some of the hay ration with oat straw chaff? I found that was an effective way to get weight off and keep the horse happy - but she wasn't laminitic.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I hope there’s a medical reason, too TP.
Liothyronine (can be known as Cytomel) is more commonly used for weight loss.
Sadly, inspite of being on it and thyroxine for Underactive thyroid, due to other health issues, I have not lost a bean in weight!

mjcssjw2

Visit site
my friends horse went on it short term, it has worked a treat and he doesnt have any side effects, she fed him mainly straw and only a bit of hay on the 1.5%. He was also on the metformin i believe

Leo Walker

Visit site
It works very well for weight loss in people. I have been taking it for six years and I promise that if the dosage is right and you take it at the correct time of day etc, it does help with weight loss. Formula4feet contains a mineral or similar that assists the thyroid and mine have been on it for over a year. No idea if it helps them, but the supplement suits them perfectly.

Not for me it doesnt!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have been taking it for six years and found that too low a dose causes palpitations, weight gain, depression, but not a huge appetite. I think each person is very individual and we shouldn't generalise. Also it depends when you take your meds.

You are talking about too little, but if its given to a horse then it would be getting too much as its not required to fix a deficiency.

Bertolie

Visit site
I thought I would post a quick update. I put my trust in my vet and Scarlett has been on the Levothyroxine for just over seven weeks now. She has had no noticeable side effects although is still being closely monitored. At first I thought it was a waste of time as it did not appear to be doing anything, but after about three weeks I started to notice some signs that she was losing weight (although others on my yard disagreed). I had her weighed by a feed company yesterday, and in those seven weeks she has lost 54kgs and gone from a bc score of 4 to a bc of 3.5 on the 0-5 scale....I can feel ribs! She will continue with the Levothyroxine on full dose for another week, and will then be slowly weaned off over the course of a couple of months. She continues to be on complete box rest until we can stabilise her feet. Andrew Poynton came this week to fit remedial shoes (her feet are far too big for Imprints) and was cautiously optimistic when reviewing her xrays that she can make a good recover. Although we have some sinking of the pedal bones, we still have a good amount of sole below. She also has lateral/medial imbalance in three feet, with her front left being the worst, which is causing her pedal bones to twist so he is addressing both issues. We still have a long way to go but she is bright and happy and not at all stressed on box rest, so we continue.

holeymoley

Visit site
I thought I would post a quick update. I put my trust in my vet and Scarlett has been on the Levothyroxine for just over seven weeks now. She has had no noticeable side effects although is still being closely monitored. At first I thought it was a waste of time as it did not appear to be doing anything, but after about three weeks I started to notice some signs that she was losing weight (although others on my yard disagreed). I had her weighed by a feed company yesterday, and in those seven weeks she has lost 54kgs and gone from a bc score of 4 to a bc of 3.5 on the 0-5 scale....I can feel ribs! She will continue with the Levothyroxine on full dose for another week, and will then be slowly weaned off over the course of a couple of months. She continues to be on complete box rest until we can stabilise her feet. Andrew Poynton came this week to fit remedial shoes (her feet are far too big for Imprints) and was cautiously optimistic when reviewing her xrays that she can make a good recover. Although we have some sinking of the pedal bones, we still have a good amount of sole below. She also has lateral/medial imbalance in three feet, with her front left being the worst, which is causing her pedal bones to twist so he is addressing both issues. We still have a long way to go but she is bright and happy and not at all stressed on box rest, so we continue.

I have a few questions op if you don’t mind me asking, I’ve just started my boy on levothyroxin today. How much was your mare on daily? When during the day did you give her it? And just out of interest what degree was your girl’s rotation? My guy also has lateromedial imbalance.

Bertolie

Visit site
My mare started on 15ml a day but she is a heavy horse and was weighing over 700kgs at that time. My vet said most 'normal' horses had around 10ml a day. I gave it to my mare in her evening feed but i dont think it matters what time of day you give it as long as you stick to roughly the same time every day. My mare lost 54kgs in the first 7 weeks and has lost more since then. I dont know the final weight loss yet, she is being weighed in 10 days time so will be very interested to see what she is now. Not only can you feel her ribs but can see them as well! Are you using the Levothyroxine for weight loss?

My mare has quite a pronounced lateral/medial imbalance in her front left which is causing her pedal bones to twist without the added problen of the laminitis. My vet never did tell me the degree of rotation but her front left was the worst. We are 8 months on box rest now and she continues to improve with each shoeing. We still dont know if she will make a full recovery but we are cautiously optimistic.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you Bertolie.

My guy is 14hh and on 10ml per day. He is not fat as such to the eye, you can see and feel ribs but he has held a crest and shoulder fat pads for as long as I can remember, so hopefully this will shift them.

I’m glad to hear your girl is doing well, we are on week 14 of box rest and my guy’s been shod twice with heartbars since. Once on week 7 by an excellent remedial farrier who had him looking sound immediately. My vet said to get normal farrier our the second time which was probably the worst thing ever. He cut him right back very very short and basically told me to have him pts. He was very sore after that. He’s being done again soon by the remedial farrier at the vets who I will insist does him for the next few months at least. He’s also had a bit of dead material/serum under his sole which has been cut away and allowed to drain so packing that daily. Hoping we’re on the right road now though.

Kenris

New User
Visit site
Thank you Bertolie.

My guy is 14hh and on 10ml per day. He is not fat as such to the eye, you can see and feel ribs but he has held a crest and shoulder fat pads for as long as I can remember, so hopefully this will shift them.

I’m glad to hear your girl is doing well, we are on week 14 of box rest and my guy’s been shod twice with heartbars since. Once on week 7 by an excellent remedial farrier who had him looking sound immediately. My vet said to get normal farrier our the second time which was probably the worst thing ever. He cut him right back very very short and basically told me to have him pts. He was very sore after that. He’s being done again soon by the remedial farrier at the vets who I will insist does him for the next few months at least. He’s also had a bit of dead material/serum under his sole which has been cut away and allowed to drain so packing that daily. Hoping we’re on the right road now though.

Can you tell me the name of the levothyroxine you were on? Vet wants me to have the sachets at £70 for 14 but would struggle with that. Thought you got tablets or powder. Know of Thyro L but don't think it's available here. Thanks

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
One of mine was placed on a short course of levo-thyroxine recently, to help with laminitis. Interestingly, it did nothing at all for weight loss, if anything she experienced a slight increase in condition, but it worked wonders for the laminitis.

I was given generic powder sachets, in silver foil, in a box which had to be refrigerated. There was no brand. They cost around £5.50 for each one.

holeymoley

Visit site
Can you tell me the name of the levothyroxine you were on? Vet wants me to have the sachets at £70 for 14 but would struggle with that. Thought you got tablets or powder. Know of Thyro L but don't think it's available here. Thanks

Sorry I can't remember. Was 3 years ago. Are you in UK? It was fairly knew then and you could only get it in syringe form like a paste. It was very expensive, 1 tube lasted me 3 days and I think the tube worked out about £45. I know it's a bit more readily available in America.

SEL

Visit site
Sorry I can't remember. Was 3 years ago. Are you in UK? It was fairly knew then and you could only get it in syringe form like a paste. It was very expensive, 1 tube lasted me 3 days and I think the tube worked out about £45. I know it's a bit more readily available in America.

I had to do an 8 week course last year after one of my horses presented with a swollen thyroid and wacky blood results. It worked out about £45 a tube so hopefully we won't be needing to repeat any time soon. I'm in UK

Casey76

Visit site
I paid just short of £245 for 1 month of levothyroxine last year. It didn’t make a jot of difference to T’s weight, and caused some behavioural changes so, in agreement with the vet, we didn’t continue.

To note, T was presenting as hypothyroid (low T4 and T3) though it was assessed as being euthyroid sick syndrome, rather than true hypothyroidism. At next check, everything had edged into the normal range, which was another reason for discontinuing (thank goodness!)

Bertolie

Visit site
Only just seen this, my mare was on the syringes of Levothyroxine paste (made by Bova i think) which were costing £42 each and lasted 2 days. She had had 2 x 30 days courses at full dose and then a further 30 day course which was gradually reduced over the course of two months. Total cost for the treatment was £1890 which thankfully my insurance covered. She lost a total of 132kgs whilst on it, and thankfully suffered no side effects. I think vets now have the option of using the powder version but not sure it works out much cheaper. I dont know if Thyro-L is the same strength/ingredients as the Levothyroxine as it can be purchasd from tack stores in the USA (no prescription required) and can be used long term, whereas the Levothyroxine is a short term option only.