Leyland Daf dash warning light

mrsbt

Visit site
Hi,
I got a J reg Leyland Daf last month and the following light has just come on and i cant find anywhere to tell me what it means. Can anyone help? Thanks

IMG_4226.jpg

RatzFatz

Visit site
l think (but may be wrong ) it is top up of brake fluid needed!!!l have a cargo and l am sure that is what it is one mine>

Not sure where your tank is to top up though!!

l am sure someone will come on and tell you soon !!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Not sure but it looks like a reservoir, ie you need to top up possible brake fluid, tbh, I would make sure you get the whole engine serviced as it is v important to keep all fiilters re-newed and all fluids topped up, [voice of experience]
Never ever let the fuel run low in a diesel

mrsbt

Visit site
Thanks, appreciate the advice, its my first time of owning a lorry.
I have half a tank of diesel and plan on keeping it at half minimum all the time.
Think i will get my husbands cousin to check the engine over just to make sure all is ok.

angelish

Visit site
hi i have a daff and my clutch fluid thingy is at the front of the lorry under the small bonnet where the window washer thingy/pot is ,its on the left hand side

i have to use a coin to open mine,is your clutch getting closer to the floor when using it/changing gear and kind of running away with you ?
if it is you need to top it up

sorry mine is slightly newer than yours and doesn't have that light but it could be ^

mrsbt

Visit site
Only my sister has driven it so not sure about it running away but will take a look to check the clutch fluid. Thanks

Mike007

Visit site
That is a brake fluid warning light. There are two reservoirs ,on the nearside about 3ft back from the front wheel. Any DOT3 Brake fluid will do.Fluid levels are marked on the side of the semitransparent plastic containers. Be carefull not to twist the wiring when unscrewing the cap.(Hold the connector part still or unplug it)Check brake fluid levels daily as part of your daily check. If fluid levels go down there is a reason .Get it checked out.The point of a daily check is so you can tell the difference betwean a sudden new fault and the light merely comming on as a result of years of neglect.

Last edited:

perfect11s

Visit site
That is a brake fluid warning light. There are two reservoirs ,on the nearside about 3ft back from the front wheel. Any DOT3 Brake fluid will do.Fluid levels are marked on the side of the semitransparent plastic containers. Be carefull not to twist the wiring when unscrewing the cap.(Hold the connector part still or unplug it)Check brake fluid levels daily as part of your daily check. If fluid levels go down there is a reason .Get it checked out.The point of a daily check is so you can tell the difference betwean a sudden new fault and the light merely comming on as a result of years of neglect.
Very good advice and would add if the fluid is low its possible that there is a leak or just that the front brake pads are worn, top up and make a mark on the reservoirs and yes get it checked over asap .....

Tim457

New User
Visit site
Did anyone come to a definitive answer on this question? As the same light is now on permanently on ours, even though the reservoir is topped up to the brim.

sarah23

Visit site
My lorry is a Daf and I too had that light coming on, mine came on when I went round bends. I had a slight leek not sure if it was air leek or fluids can't remember what the garage said, I got it sorted and the light has never come on since.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Mariposa

Visit site
Never ever let the fuel run low in a diesel

I SO nearly ran out of diesel on the M5 a few weeks ago - we got to the next service station on a wing and a prayer. We got stuck in traffic with 1/4 of a tank and then didn't move and the needle was just going down....down....down...red light was on for about 20 mins...I was absolutely freaking out by the time we got to Exeter services. Never again!

Mike007

Visit site
There are two brake fluid reservoirs and a clutch fluid reservoir.Only the brake fluid reservoirs have sensors (built into the lids,be carefull not to damage the wiring)

AngieandBen

Visit site
Sorry, but that's def the light on mine that stays on until air pressure is up and brakes release, I've had the lorry 8 years, its 22 years old and never ever broken down :)

Perhaps my wiring is wrong lol

Mike007

Visit site
The "wiring "is a printed circuit board fed by plug in looms and almost impossible to get wrong. I suggest you have another look .Second one down is definately for air pressure and if this does not come on when you have low pressure ,check the bulb .

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
I am only trying to stress how important this is. Low brake fluid is very very dangerous. Loose power steering fluid and the steering just becomes heavy (its not even a test item unless it is seen to be leaking).Loose brake fluid and you could kill some one.

Vanessa23

New User
Visit site
But i still want to know what the light looks like as am about to buy a J ref DAF and the second light from the bottom is on... looks a but kike a tv to me

Louby

Visit site
I recently test drove one with that light on, it went off whe the parking brake was released. Out of interest what is it for :)

Vanessa23

New User
Visit site
Yes that is exactly it! It is a 45.130?
Thank you so much for your help
I was guessing at it being a 45.130, after looking at a few 1992 registered DAF horseboxes... they seem to be pretty common.

A thread on PistonHeads suggests that it could be the brake fluid warning light.
I was guessing at it being a 45.130, after looking at a few 1992 registered DAF horseboxes... they seem to be pretty common.

A thread on PistonHeads suggests that it could be the brake fluid warning light.
Yes I saw that but didnt make sense as they are air breaks? Thats why i ended up here, wanting to see the original pic

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help

Yes I saw that but didnt make sense as they are air breaks? Thats why i ended up here, wanting to see the original pic

I don't know much (yet) about vehicles of this size, so I'm just going on what I've been able to find on the Intarwebs.

The PistonHeads thread suggests that DAF trucks of that period used an air over hydraulic system, so you need to monitor both the air pressure and the level of brake fluid in the system.

If I was looking at buying a particular vehicle, I'd download both driver's and workshop manuals for it. I'd also look to see if it had an OBD port, and if it did I'd take along my OBD reader to check it.