LEZ How wrong - Any help or advice pls

Sue C

Visit site
please think about all the polution your lorry is causing im sure you wouldent want any of it getting on those nice clean planes just down the road !!!!!:D realy this would be funny if it wasn't costing so much, you would think borris would have a little bit less spite than red ken and work out something for small businesses and private folk on this issue....

Here here, why not just make it week days when most business lorrys work !!! and what about the rest of the country are they cleaner because they are not in London !!!!!!!!!!!

Sue C

Visit site
Not really knowing much about this at all so i apologize if i seem ignorant, but could you not register the vehicle at an address outside the zone (but still keep it at your place, i dont suppose they come out & check do they?)....say your parents or something & then if you do need to use it just pay the daily charges, from the sounds of it you only use it handful of times a year, so you would save yourself alot of money.

They have cameras up like speeding ones, so catch you when you drive in the or out the zone. I use it nearly every weekend in the summer and its £200 a time, to go in the zone so would work out £200 for the mile I drive everytime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Sue C

Visit site
As soon as the lorry moves within the LEZ zone, its number plate is captured and the owner will get a fine for not having paid the £200 a day entry fee. It doesn't matter what address the vehicle is registered at sadly.

I really feel for you peeps who are in this situation. To me the whole thing is just another way of taxing the people.

Thanks, what are all the small business doing. If they want more people to comply, why not make it the whole country and make if more feasiable to have your vehicle altered.

Mike007

Visit site
This was not a "Government" thing ,it was one of Ken Livingstones crackpot ideas. Intended to please the section of the public he had hoped would vote for him. Unfortunately because so many businesses had to become commited to expensive replacement vehicles and equipment, there would be problems scrapping this stupid idea. The worst part of this con was that within a very short space of time ,the vast majority of vehicles ,running the most hours/miles ,would have been updated anyway. Those cameras werent cheap either. In all this fiasco is costing the country a fortune and for very little result. Incidentaly the cameras dont just record the lorrys ,they record every vehicle,which could at a later date cause the average car owner all sorts of problems.

Sue C

Visit site
This was not a "Government" thing ,it was one of Ken Livingstones crackpot ideas. Intended to please the section of the public he had hoped would vote for him. Unfortunately because so many businesses had to become commited to expensive replacement vehicles and equipment, there would be problems scrapping this stupid idea. The worst part of this con was that within a very short space of time ,the vast majority of vehicles ,running the most hours/miles ,would have been updated anyway. Those cameras werent cheap either. In all this fiasco is costing the country a fortune and for very little result. Incidentaly the cameras dont just record the lorrys ,they record every vehicle,which could at a later date cause the average car owner all sorts of problems.

Thanks, Mike, Ken has a lot to answer for. It worrys me what if I have to get my horse to a vet quick, cannot find a LEZ compl. lorry, £2000 fine !!!

maxapple

Visit site
4x4 and trailer might not work, my husbands Toyota Hilux is going to be non compliant from 2012. It's not just lorries, 4x4s are on the list too.

What on earth are all the builders in London going to do?

Yep - my Dhiatsu 4trak is also non compliant from next year. Its a fab towing car that I will now have to sell. Pants! :(

Our house is just in the LEZ - which means I would have to pay £200 a day just to drive 100 yards out of the zone! Not sure I can affpord £4000 a month to drive to work!!

Last edited:

Sue C

Visit site
Yep - my Dhiatsu 4trak is also non compliant from next year. Its a fab towing car that I will now have to sell. Pants! :(

Our house is just in the LEZ - which means I would have to pay £200 a day just to drive 100 yards out of the zone! Not sure I can affpord £4000 a month to drive to work!!

I know what you mean its so unfair. What are you going to do?

tedster

Visit site
It has to be Pre 1973 if older

I "think" the 3.5 ton are not permitted from 2012 either!!

Get an old Bedford thats what I have done :)

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
There is a massive commercial vehicle scrap yard close to me that has a lot of very ancient commercial vehicles including horseboxes in it. So if you want one it is called Rush Green Motors, Rush Green, Codicote Hertfordshire. (Just off the A1 (M) Welwyn.

LauraElise

Visit site
Not being familiar with LEZ I have just had a quick read up on it. The whole thing seems like a nonsense to me and it is this sort of ridiculous legislation that make me glad I left the UK!

Seems like an older vehicle is the answer.....

Sue C

Visit site
There is a massive commercial vehicle scrap yard close to me that has a lot of very ancient commercial vehicles including horseboxes in it. So if you want one it is called Rush Green Motors, Rush Green, Codicote Hertfordshire. (Just off the A1 (M) Welwyn.

Thank you, I will have a look

mainpower

Visit site
I love rummaging through there, vintage lorry heaven!

Sue C

Visit site
I have an idea, instead of stuffing around with the carbon emissions trading scheme that makes us pay for the major polluters, tell the greedy b- - - - s to reduce their pollutions emissions by 75% within 5 years or we shut them down.

perfect11s

Visit site
I have an idea, instead of stuffing around with the carbon emissions trading scheme that makes us pay for the major polluters, tell the greedy b- - - - s to reduce their pollutions emissions by 75% within 5 years or we shut them down.
Thats a great idea get rid of the last remaning bit of industy we have, and we can all go back to the dark ages, the lez was a desighed to clean up londons air and make it a nicer place to live and work in . carbon trading is another way of making rich people richer and screwing the workers and the other part of the climate change con where people are made to beleive a lie that the planet is warming because of man, so we can be controled and taxed ...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

LEZ has nothing to do with Carbon emissions. All industries have targets to reduce emissions.

Along with many other European cities, parts of London are not meeting
EU targets for the most harmful pollutants nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and fine particulate
matter (PM10). (The Mayors Air Quality Strategy)

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/MAQS Executive Summary FINAL.pdf

"Industry and road transport are the main sources of air pollution, though domestic
combustion and agriculture are also to blame. Industry is a major source of emissions of
NOX (46%) and PM10 (36%). Road transport contributes to significant emissions of NO2
(30%) and PM10 (18%). Emissions and exposure vary greatly depending on location.
Although polluting, the majority of large combustion plants are located away from major
urban centres. Road transport contributes far more to the public’s exposure to pollutants
and is responsible for up to 70% of air pollution in urban areas."

"Poor air quality leads to poor human health. There are short-term effects on, for
example, the respiratory system, and more serious impacts due to long-term exposure
including permanent reductions in lung function. Air pollution has been linked to asthma,
chronic bronchitis, heart and circulatory disease, and cancer."

Environmental Audit Committee - Air Quality 5th Report 2009-2010.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmenvaud/229/229i.pdf

Shame on Ken.

X

xspiralx

Not having paid much attention to the LEZ before now as its never affected me, now that I've read up about it I am shocked.

It seems like a massive rip off - what the hell are normal people supposed to do?

OP - can you move your horse to a yard outside the LEZ and keep the lorry there?

Sue C

Visit site
Its so unfair its based on where you drive the whole country should be in on it.

I have run my yard for over 30 years and dont want to move, even if I did find 10 acres around Middlesex is hard.

Sue C

Visit site
If everyone in the country who drove had to pay. What the hell would happen then !!!!!!!!!!!

Why not make the charge less at weekends !!!!!!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I heard Ken Livingston on London Radio a few weeks ago talking about how when he introduced the LEZ and that a number of horse riders had contacted him about the problems this would cause them. He was laughing it off and did not care less. However, he did get booted out but has now left everyone with this legacy and to be compliant horse owners will have to either have the engines converted or upgrade to new vehicles which are compliant or purchase old petrol vehicles. As I said above Petrol Bedford TK's can be purchased very cheaply and may be the solution to those that do not use their horse box too much as they are heavier on fuel than diesel vehicles .

Sue C

Visit site
I heard Ken Livingston on London Radio a few weeks ago talking about how when he introduced the LEZ and that a number of horse riders had contacted him about the problems this would cause them. He was laughing it off and did not care less. However, he did get booted out but has now left everyone with this legacy and to be compliant horse owners will have to either have the engines converted or upgrade to new vehicles which are compliant or purchase old petrol vehicles. As I said above Petrol Bedford TK's can be purchased very cheaply and may be the solution to those that do not use their horse box too much as they are heavier on fuel than diesel vehicles .

Thats nice of him, I have just wrote to him, so lets see if I get a reply.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I thought 4WD's weren't included in the LEZ?

Hope so, because that would be a problem for me too. The LEZ is moving further south... aarrhhh!!

SpruceRI

Visit site
LEZ has nothing to do with Carbon emissions. All industries have targets to reduce emissions.

Along with many other European cities, parts of London are not meeting
EU targets for the most harmful pollutants nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and fine particulate
matter (PM10).

Not surprising with Heathrow airport right beside it!!

X

xspiralx

Its so unfair its based on where you drive the whole country should be in on it.

I have run my yard for over 30 years and dont want to move, even if I did find 10 acres around Middlesex is hard.

Ah didn't realise you ran a yard.

Do you think this will have a negative impact on your business as your liveries may move to other yards outside the zone?