lice help advice yuk yuk .....

Holly27

Visit site
Hi guys

well grooming my two today they have both been back with me 7 days new one and mini that my friends were looking after
well grooming mane and saw scurf and investigated that it was not only scurf but crawling things yuk!! yuk!! i bathed both of them in hibiscrub but need to get something as they are itching its only in mane and tail and no broken skin yet
Ive googled them ( going by what they look like)
and they are ......
Damalinia equi
so what should i get to kill the little buggers
its made me itchy thinking about it and i have a phobia of things like head lice in my daughters hair let alone my horseys

i will get what ever is needed 2morrow morning as i hated them having them any longer
please help whats the best thing
thank you
I'm all itchy now yuk
hipp xx

Maisy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
wash them in dermolin insectisidtal shampoo then cover them in loose powder!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif
is that the same as louse powder??
grin.gif
grin.gif

......sorry.......I must be in 'one of those moods'...........

*must go and cook the kids tea to stop myself offending people!!*

ischa

Visit site
most lice powders do not really work that well
u can use deosect which will kill lice,mites etc

Perissa

Visit site
I don't know the latin names but there are two types of lice? Sucking and chewing!

Firstly worm with any Ivermectin wormer, this is quite effective at killing the sucking kind. But you must repeat the wormer in 10 to 14 days later to kill off any new hatches. Make sure you give enough for their weight - it is better to over estimate then under.

This won't be effective against the chewing kind but won't do any harm either as long as they are in general good health.

If they are very hairy clip but hopefully at this time of year may not need to.

Buy a good quality powder - forget the organic ones sorry but chemical warefare is required to be really effective!!

I have found the Lincoln one to be quite good.

Buy an good insecticidal shampoo. You will need to use the whole bottle of shampoo, really get into all their crevices, between their elbow, udders, to the very tips of their ears, can't remember how long you are supposed to leave it on for. Rinse off well, scrape the excess water off and then get busy with the powder again concentrate of getting it into all the crevices and don't be tight with it.

Next power the bedding, walls etc in the stable. I sprayed Mo's stable with disinfectant and then shook the powder on so it literally stuck to the walls.

DO NOT LET THEM INTO CONTACT WITH ANY OTHER HORSES - the blasted critters spread like wildfire.

Keep all brushes, rugs and even headcollers and rope well away from anything.

Repeat the worming, shampoo and powder 10 to 14 days later.

They should then be hitch hiker free.

Lice can be very hard to get rid of so that's why, when for the first time ever I had a horse with them (Mo came with them when I bought him) my approach was like germ warefare!!!

Gave me the heebie geebies knowing that they were there!

Holly27

Visit site
thanks for your advice ... i have never in 20 years had lice or new of anyone who had lice on there horses now both mine have them yuk yuk
mission kill the buggers starts 2morrow
thanks again
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Buy some Coopers Fly Repellant Plus, despite the name, it is a treatment for lice, vets recomend it, powerders are useless.

It costs about £25.00 a bottle, 2 applications and the little buggars will be long gone, also good for mites, and any other ichy problems.

Brilliant stuff, every tack room should have a bottle!
smile.gif

Holly27

Visit site
Esin ..... whoever you are , thats what this place is about..... duh
its for advice etc if my horses needed the vet id call them just wanted to see if there was a easey way to do it and i have now thanks to these guys on here
smile.gif

if you dont have a positive comment then why coment lol ...

Esin

New User
Visit site
Thought advising the vet was a "positive comment." Glad you found an easier way to treat your horses though. Hope it works.

louise4208

Visit site
cooper's fly repellent works for me too, and it's really lovely on their coat as well. I clip one of mine throughout the year as he has cushings disease and the typical coat that goes with it, lots of places for the lice to hide