Lice Help - Coopers not available

BlueSocks

Visit site
Hi all - think a new pony in my field has brought lice and now my boy is itching - has anyone been able to get Coopers anywhere recently? If not what do you recommend I use instead? A real pain as i've used Coopers before and its fantastic. Thanks for your help all x

BlueSocks

Visit site
Can you get deosect from tack shop / online? Or does the vet need to prescribe? Dianchi have you actually had success with certain types louse powder as ive always found it to be a bit rubbish?

p87

Visit site
I've got deosect on the way, should be here tomorrow hopefully.

I've always found louse powder to be rubbish as well BlueSocks, which is why I'm going for deosect as it's supposed to work instantly, and then a top up dose

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Deosect shampoo twice, ten days apart (think that a lice lifecycle). That louse powder on daily too. All rugs and tack washed, and not a bad idea to disinfect in the stable. Shy had it when an infected pony came to the yard last year - it was horrible, but we got it sorted.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Another vote for Coopers which has been withdrawn for applying direct to animals but is OK for stables, hen houses, etc. It is still on sale if you look. I asked my vet if it was still safe to use and got a wink. What on earth could she have meant??

Don't forget, they need two doses 10 - 14 days apart, the first to kill the live bugs and the second to kill what was eggs the first time round and so wasn't killed.

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
Another vote for Deosect.

My now 6yo suffered terribly on off from a yearling to 2yo and having tried everything under the sun- including numerous visits from the vet to have regular Dectomax injections, Deosect has been the only fool-proof method I've found.

My 2yo came to me in Spring crawling with the little blighters and again, Deosect cleared them up with no problems. Definitely worth having it in your box- and it goes a long way!

Think I bought my last lot of it from Hyperdrug.

legaldancer

Visit site
Deosect - really easy to use. You dilute it and a tin goes a long way. It can be used in a sprayer in summer as a very effective fly spray. Cleared up my lousy chap immediately!

_HP_

Visit site
Wahhhh...Coopers is my cob's life saver for his sweet itch. I hope I can find some somewhere (no luck so far)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Thanks everybody - Dry Rot I can't seem to find Coopers anywhere! Isn't it annoying...Ok think I will give Deosect a go.

Apparently it has been then off the market….it contained DDT. No wonder it worked!

http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/old-wive-s-tales-and-natural-remedies

Have you thought about SpotOn for cattle? Not licensed for horses and I think you need a holding number but we put a few ccs. on the ponies mânes and tails last year for the flies. When we got the farrier in, the only ones attracting flies were the farrier and one pony, neither had had SpotOn!

Last edited: