Lice

Ingramah

Visit site
I have recently found lice on my horse. I'm not sure where these have come from - not affecting other horse in field. She's had a dose of louse powder which I'll follow up after 5 days. Anyone tried any other methods? Also, conflicting advice as to whether rugs need cleaning etc. Are equine lice the same as human lice ie. laying eggs only on hair and unable to live more than a few hours if not attached to a horse? Have given the rugs a quick shake of louse powder but would appreciate any advice. Thanks

sojeph

Visit site
I usually just louse powder the rug too!! Just in case! Its usually passed on to or from other horses so double check any others haven't got it or it'll keep returning.

Ingramah

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Was wondering about rugs more than anything as the obvious way the horses would be reinfected. Not heard of Virkon E - any info?
smile.gif

loopeepee

Visit site
i used it on my old pony's heels, when she had mites/lice there. however i dont know how effective it would be all over the body, found something saying that it is for treating viruses and bacteria which has somewhat changed my mind

www.rmsupply.co.uk, click products, then virusidal disinfectant and then virkon. has some good info, but would also ask your local retailer before buying (about £3 sachet i think).hope this is ok, dont hold me on any of it tho please, wouldnt want it not to be as effective as some of the other methods suggested!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Presumably the horse is not clipped??

Could you go without the rugs full stop. This will help prevent further problems.

Farm Kat

Visit site
You need to de louse everything, horse, rugs and stable. Use a mask for yourself, as some of the stuff is toxic. Make sure you get it under the head and neck, and along the mane. I would also use virkon e on the brushes and nylon headcollars. I do the whole lot as it can be a pain to get rid of. And I like the 'belt and braces' method. I would also tell the YO as it is contagious from one horse to another, and I for one would be most annoyed if someone didn't tell me their horse had lice. Last time someone kept quiet as they didn't know what it was, we were treating every b***** week, doing 4 ponies
confused.gif
I would rug, it Keeps it covered.

JaneR

New User
Visit site
Hi, do you have any advice about lice being in the straw and infecting my horse. Since we got new straw he has scratched, rubbed, and has now got bald patches and scabby bits on his tum and between his front legs. do you have any suggestions, we are all now scratching at home!
Thanks