Licensing to have foals

Topaz

New User
Visit site
Hi.

This is my first post on this forum, but I would like to put this one out there for the public...
“”Should having foals be done under licence??””

There are a number of horses in the country that are neglected, which we read about in the press, so why are these horse owners allowed to breed more?

A owner is allowed to breed horses, even though they cannot look after the horses they already have, is this right?

On the flip side there are many breeders that care for their horses, and I think licensing will increase red tape, and costs, which we do not need. But is the welfare of horses not more important?

Goldenstar

Visit site
No definatly not licensing would only punish the responsible by involving them in more red tape and expense and what if you bought a mare and it popped out a foal oh you have broken the law .

Capriole

Visit site
^^

As ever, more red tape and expense as mentioned above, for responsible breeders. And the people that churn out low quality, rough animals and neglect them, abandon them, kill the colt foals and dump the bodies, dont bother with passports etc etc, are unlikely to bother with licensing either. Why would they.

DifficultMare

Visit site
The people that are currently neglecting and over-breeding now would be the very people who wouldn't bother to become licensed so I don't think it would make any difference. Very like passports.

pip6

Visit site
Point is Topaz, those who shouldn't breed wont give a monkeys about legislation & continue to do so. You will only affect the already responsible breeders. It wont work.

Totally agree about kids post!;)