Licking mud, help please

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I noticed my tb licking mud in his field for a good 5 mins and wondered which trace element he could be lacking? All my others are ok or at least I haven't noticed them doing it. He's feed speedibeet, alfa a oil, baileys topline cubes, micro linseed and naf general purpose supplement so I really don't see how he can be lacking? He's got a salt lick in his stable which he helps himself to but wondered if to add a rockie redto see if he uses it. Any advise would be great and if anybody knows which element is lacking to lick mud that would be even better.

MissChaos

Visit site
My five year old's been doing this a bit lately - only afaik for a minute when turned out but I did also wonder what he was up to. He's on TopSpec Lite and also has a salt lick so in theory shouldn't be missing anything. I've never seen it for any reason other than a dietary imbalance so I contacted a TS nutritionist to ask about it.

The nutritionist agreed it could easily be just that he's found something in the soil that's tasty - which would make sense as he's one of those who will drink out of a puddle in the same place rather than the blinking trough... They did also say that if a horse is lacking fibre (just to say my pone is on a diet but not below minimum recommendations!), they will often bite at the earth, sometimes taking whole clumps. If they do this, the nutrionist suggested upping forage and putting a branch in the field to give something to crunch on, which they will sometimes look for if the grass is very wet and forage provided has a lower fibre content than it should. If the bark is chewed off the branch, it should be replaced.

They're very helpful if you've ever got any small ponderings or big questions - I spoke to Nicola.

Rose Folly

Visit site
TBH with the amount of feed/supplements your horse is getting, I wouldn't go overboard and rush off to get him yet more. Licking mud or earth is quite a common thing in horses. It doesn't mean he's going to drop dead of some obscure disease. His instincts tell him that he needs xyz and he'll have a good lick. Let nature look after him unless he starts to show physical symptoms that all is not well.

We have an old willow avenue in our field. The horses 'doctor' themselves with it, eating the fallen leaves ravenously in autumn and occasionally stripping the bark (discouraged - for the trees' sake). When once or twice over the years a horse has had colic, after all the veterinary treatment, Buscapan etc. the horse always toddles off and spends an hour or so reaching up for the young branches to chew. Our vet always asks "Has he been at the willows?" If the answer is yes he's well pleased.

I'd save your money and let nature treat your horse for free!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Thank you. I have a fallen tree in the field which I have left for them and this lad has ad lib hay and always leaves some over night so has his fibre. It's just got me thinking

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We have a spring in our field which fills a stone trough thats sunk in the ground - the horses often lick the mud around this as I reckon it must have lots of goodies in it. They have a willow planted (although will be a few years before its robust enough for them!) and love stripping leaves off our big ash tree :)

Mine will also gobble up the acorns if we don't fence it off, even then he tries to break the fence - little pig :mad:

MissChaos

Visit site
Ditto that it got me thinking. I was curious more than anything and think the instinct that it's just a bit tasty is probably right. Agree with rose folly re. nature and everything; as long as he doesn't start standing there all day then no worries.

ETA Eek to the acorns, tho, Stencilface :( Piglet. Wouldn't put it past mine, either, if he had one near.

Last edited:

kildalton

Visit site
TBH with the amount of feed/supplements your horse is getting, I wouldn't go overboard and rush off to get him yet more. Licking mud or earth is quite a common thing in horses. It doesn't mean he's going to drop dead of some obscure disease. His instincts tell him that he needs xyz and he'll have a good lick. Let nature look after him unless he starts to show physical symptoms that all is not well.

We have an old willow avenue in our field. The horses 'doctor' themselves with it, eating the fallen leaves ravenously in autumn and occasionally stripping the bark (discouraged - for the trees' sake). When once or twice over the years a horse has had colic, after all the veterinary treatment, Buscapan etc. the horse always toddles off and spends an hour or so reaching up for the young branches to chew. Our vet always asks "Has he been at the willows?" If the answer is yes he's well pleased.

I'd save your money and let nature treat your horse for free!

Willow bark contains an aspirin like substance .