Licking Wee Dog!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
As in the wee dog is doing the licking, not me licking the wee dog... ?

Never had such a licky dog! Any bare piece of skin and she's in there. It's driving me slightly bonkers ?

Moving either her or the skin away does not deter. A firm voice just gets her very worried. I'm very aware that she's had some major upheavals so don't want to get too firm, but nor do I want to be so soggy!

Any suggestions on how to at least reduce it?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can you give her something else to do - although I know toys are not encouraged because of the bigger dogs, so I'm not sure what you could distract her with. sorry, not much help, really!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I move her away, but she's a Ninja dog! Gets right back in next to me and out that little pink (and very soggy!) tongue pops.

She found one of the Grot's giant Nyla bones the other day. Actually managed to carry it! Very funny. Anyhoo, thankfully the Grots were just confused and left her alone but I don't want to risk it inside. The GSD and one of the Grots have discussions (never physical) over the big chews, which have all been put away for now just in case.

{97702}

Visit site
Worried or not I’m afraid I’d be using a firm ‘no!’ in a clear but not too loud voice, because that would drive me mad ? I appreciate she has had a lot of change, but to me that doesn’t mean she can’t know where the boundaries are? ?

{97702}

Visit site
Oooo I feel mean now! But then I’m feeling mean already today because we got lost in the woods on our dog walk and (whispers) I made Marty greyhound walk over 3 miles ? Marty does like doing more than about a mile ? I don’t think he will easily forgive me ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I agree, big firm no and when she stops, lots of praise, gentle strokes. Bear is a licker, he has a somewhat obsessive personality. I move him into a different position, turn him upside down to stop him or make the skin-normally a hand-unavailable.

misst

Visit site
I think it is a bit of a terrier thing. My old girl was very licky and got worse when she got dementia. The two we have now seem to like licking some evenings or bedtimes and can go on for hours if someone allows it. I don't think it is a comfort thing and we find cinnamontoasts techniques work well. They don't seem to get upset. We also firmly remove them from the sofa/lap/chair onto the floor if they don't listen. My sons old JRT was also a licker and she was a happy content girl as well.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all.

She sure is a persistent wee bobbo!

Will keep at it ? She's learning on just about everything else so I shouldn't really complain. I can give her a treat now without losing a finger (blinking sharp little teeth!), and she'll go out of the kitchen when we're cooking (don't want to stand on her and can't stand begging dogs), so we're getting there ?

Nicnac

Visit site
I have a rescue flat coat who is a licker. He needs constant reassurance. It does drive me mad but telling him NO however firmly actually makes it worse. Making a fuss of him seems to work. There's obviously some psychobabble answer in there but not sure what!

Clodagh

Visit site
If she doesn’t like ‘no’ then can you say ‘enough’. ? I cannot bear being licked so would close her mouth with my hand, push her head away and say enough. If she persisted she’d be on the floor.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sorry Honey! I should've worded the subject line better :D

She's starting to get the idea. I'm hopeful that it's not causing her some deep seated angst :eek:. She still wants to be with me though so all is probably good :cool:

TwyfordM

Visit site
The little guy does this, drives me nuts! He's jrt x chihuahua. Was my nans originally so little Prince was allowed to get away with everything ?
First few times I told him no and put him on the floor the minute he started licking, he the would have full on temper tantrums demanding to be allowed back up so then had to wait for him to stop that before being allowed back up ?‍♀️
Eventually penny seemed to drop that licking meant floor and he stopped doing it so much. Still happens occasionally but nowhere near as much now.
He does tend to excessively groom himself now though and makes himself sore so could well be stress related.
Its just snapping them out of the cycle I think.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
No shouting. Shouted once when she was bobbing off across the field (gawd she's a nippy wee beastie!). Dropped to her back and looked so worried. So, no shouting, a firm voice and moved away. Though yesterday I let my guard down... She was on my chest and all was good. I yawned and didn't put my hand over my mouth... Ugh! The problem with using a toy or something as distraction is the others also like toys and can get quite possessive about them where the other dogs are concerned. Hopefully we can reintroduce chews etc., but not yet.

Lighthearted - I don't know if it's stress or if I taste good... :D Yesterday three of them were having a lick. I felt like a giant ice lolly :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Some do just like the taste of salt!! Although it's generally compulsive/submissive/appeasement behaviour. One of mine will lick/nibble/mutual groom and he's the stressier of the two.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No shouting. Shouted once when she was bobbing off across the field (gawd she's a nippy wee beastie!). Dropped to her back and looked so worried. So, no shouting, a firm voice and moved away. Though yesterday I let my guard down... She was on my chest and all was good. I yawned and didn't put my hand over my mouth... Ugh! The problem with using a toy or something as distraction is the others also like toys and can get quite possessive about them where the other dogs are concerned. Hopefully we can reintroduce chews etc., but not yet.

Lighthearted - I don't know if it's stress or if I taste good... :D Yesterday three of them were having a lick. I felt like a giant ice lolly :D

Might be the heat, she needs electrolytes? I’ve been shoving salt in the horse’s feed this week and last.