lied about the age!!!!

djshelli

Visit site
Hi all. Ive just recently returned to horses after 15 years and brought a lovely piebald cob mare age 16 with a slight dust allergy.
on getting her home and vetted was told she is around twenty with lower airway disease. Also found out from a previous owner before that she sold her to my sellar aged 18 rising 19.
In my court case she has admitted taking 3 years off her age because she looks younger!!!! Can you do this??? Also was told she had suffered liver damage, but was told she has never had any illnesses? Do i stand a chance at court? xxx
confused.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Well, I hate to say it....but why did you bring her home before getting her vetted in the first place
crazy.gif

It sounds to me like you know she can't knowingly change her age otherwise you wouldn't be taking her to couirt over the matter, so what exactly is the point of your post
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
It amazes me the amount of people who do not check the teeth to get the real age of a horse. That is the FIRST thing I do when looking at horses!

Unless you have good evidence then you are wasting your time going to court. Caveat emptor rules most times.

jacks_mum

Visit site
mind you , you say that Tia but teeth can't always give age - my Jack is a good case in point. When I bought him the Galvaynes groove put him at ten to twelve which is what we expected but the angle and wear of his other teeth put him older. in the end my vet said he couldn't put an exact age on him but he was somewhere between twelve and seventeen.

we opted for twelve as it roughly tied up with other things we found out about him but teeth are not fool proof (and they are the first thing i look at if i like the horse!)

djshelli

Visit site
hey guys i am a novice! old one i know but we gotta start somewhere! I did say before i brought her that i will get her vetted and depending on result i may require a refund, she said this was fine! And yes i know now how to tell its age from the teeth! Although gets harder after 18 yrs, i suppose im just to gullable and think everyone is as genuine as me! And yes we think she has narcolepsy too! Just thought id see if anyone had experienced simular, feel abit alone!! xx

Tia

Visit site
No they aren't fool proof but they are a pretty good and close indication generally. Someone tried to sell me a horse that they claimed was 12.....the fools thought I was born in a banana boat - I aged it at 22.....no way could that be teeth error, LOL!!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Although gets harder after 18 yrs

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, I find the exact opposite. I find it very easy to age a horse over 15.

djshelli

Visit site
Ive always wanted a horse since i was about 10 years old and ive waited all this time to afford one! How gutted am i! Oh well we learn from our mistakes. At least we have a friend for my shetland! thanks for all your advise anyway xx

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am useless at aging horses but having been in a similar situation recently I would say enjoy your horse and take it for what it is – if you are enjoying her and she is happy in work keep her in work.

It is old owners like that that give horse people a bad name.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of people who have near enough said "it serves you right" on this post. We;ve all mde mistakes, and not all of us were born with never ending horsey wisdom.

Djshelli...I don't think you'd stand much of a chance, unless you have a reciept which states from the seller how old the horse was, and if the previous owner would be prepared to stand up in court for you?? If no reciept, it's her word against yours.
It's awful what's happened to you. I hope things get better soon. x

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Id say you have not much of a chance because you brought the horse home before it was vetted. Id speak to someone if she is not giving you your money back. What has the lady who sold her to you actually said?????

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I cant understnad why some one could sell a horse and lie. Its so unfair on the horse. Think if you hadn't had her vetted and something even worse was wrong. Stick with it Not all horse buying is this bad!!

djshelli

Visit site
Hi again! The lady has admitted to the court she lied about her age, but is denying any illnesses. My new horse cant be worked as she gets too wheezy and needs to heave to breath, hence why im taking to whole thing to court, as she new i wanted a sain horse to take lessons on! She is on ventipulmin at mo and was told she will be on it for life or may even need inhalers and stricktly NO hay! She is so lathargic and wont walk! x

Agent XXX999

Visit site
PS well said Kate26 I took my instrructor and my instructors mum and I have been riding 20 years and we still C*cked up…

Incidentally I do think that vettings are a bit of a waste of time if you are buying a ned who is cheap ish…and you don’t need one for insurance purposes.

I know 2 people who had horses vetted – one did his suspensory ligament in the first week that she had him (and her insurance was invalid as it had a 14 day clause on it) and another whos horse turned into a psycho…

vicster

Visit site
My horse has really bad breathing problems and has ventapulmin and has to have inhalers for when he gets really bad - you just need to make sure everything is wet but he is only 13 and still working ok xx

AlexBomb

www.body-armour-protection.co.uk
i think that you could litigate the seller. the seller has a legal responsibility to disclose any information covering health etc.

the fact that she (the seller) has admitted misleading you in the past is a good sign and can be used as evidence against her.

if you want a good litigation solicitor, i can put you on to one as i deal with solicitors everyday.

Alex

GTs

Visit site
Age is like color you buy a 10 year old bay in 2004 now in 2006 it is still a 10 year old bay -

That is how it works out here anyways.

dieseldog

Visit site
What about it's passport, did she lose the one saying she was 20 and give you one saying 16? Maybe she can be done on passport fraud.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you have bought the horse from a private seller, and I mean private seller, not a dealer hiding behind that description then your options are somewhat limited. The cheapest legal advice will be from citizens advice bureau & they will advice the best course of action. If the seller is a dealer then ytou have far more redress. Like it or not the horse is 'goods', and it should be of merchantable quality & be as described. I think you could have a good case against the seller...but seek professional legal advice.

Good Luck, there's too many peoplewho lie to sell ill/injured/elderly horses onto unsuspecting people.
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
I haven't read anyone implying that it serves her right? I've read people suggesting that perhaps she should have had the horse vetted BEFORE the purchase and I've read (and posted) that I don't think she stands much of a chance in winning much in court. Neither of those have anything to do with horsey wisdom....perhaps aging a horse is? I wouldn't have thought so as surely it is a basic thing to know, particularly when spending lots of your hard-earned cash.
confused.gif

jemima

Visit site
djshelli - I'm sorry but I don't understand. Did you not ride the horse before you bought her? I can't personally get too excited about the aging by teeth thing - my boy is given a four year age span on his teeth by the vet too. What does the passport say? That should have been sorted by the preivous owner who sold her as 18 rising 19. Did you get any papers with her at all?

But what's really confused me is your statement in another thread about somone's sig tag which you say "looks like my first horse molly ive just sold! " Then on this thread you say "I've always wanted a horse since i was about 10 years old and i've waited all this time to afford one!" Perhaps I''m just not understanding properly.

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read anyone implying that it serves her right? I've read people suggesting that perhaps she should have had the horse vetted BEFORE the purchase and I've read (and posted) that I don't think she stands much of a chance in winning much in court. Neither of those have anything to do with horsey wisdom....perhaps aging a horse is? I wouldn't have thought so as surely it is a basic thing to know, particularly when spending lots of your hard-earned cash.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm living proof that vettings can be a load of [****] - I ended up with a horse blind in one eye and 8 years old instead of 12-14!

Tia

Visit site
Oh dear that is seriously bad luck. I don't have any horses vetted and funny you should mention horses being blind....d'you know how many I have gone to look at over here who have turned out to be blind? Crazy......never seen so many blind horses in such a small area.....and the most interesting thing is the owners don't realise they are blind!
shocked.gif

djshelli

Visit site
Yes i did ride her! A bit slow and ploddy but was told she dont get worked so a bit lazy. She seemed fine, but it was when i got home and gave her soaked hay, she began to wheeze and heave. Yes i owned a horse for a while (my very first horse) which i sold on as she was too much for a novice, whos doing really well at pony club. The passport says age unknown, and the sellar never filled the passport out to say she had owned her.

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh dear that is seriously bad luck. I don't have any horses vetted and funny you should mention horses being blind....d'you know how many I have gone to look at over here who have turned out to be blind? Crazy......never seen so many blind horses in such a small area.....and the most interesting thing is the owners don't realise they are blind!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no outward signs though - he was jumpy on the offside but I put that down to him being an ex racer (everything done on the nearside)

Believe me, when I buy my next horse I'll be doing the scientific 'waving hands in front of eyes' test
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Just place your hand up really close to the eyes and see if the horse blinks - if it doesn't then gently touch the eye.....then you know for sure.