life after hip replacement??

Carsmore

Visit site
I have been advised to have both hips replaced. Im worried that I wont be ride as I do now if I go through with this. Im having cortisone injections into the joints to see if this will put off the inevitable. Have any of you lovely people had a bilateral THR and had a viable riding life after the procedure? Thank you in advance :)

Illusion100

Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about this. :(

I'm afraid I've no experience with hip replacements but I have hip dysplasia in both hips, have fractured left hip twice, have a ruptured disc and have had major spinal surgery where parts of the vertebrae in lower back have been removed. Its the cold weather that gets me most and I use a back support when doing anything more than hacking. But apart from the odd bad day, no real issues (so far!) :)

I hope others that have had hip replacements can come on and provide positive stories for you. I wouldn't let the prospect hold you back, I really hope everything works out, Good Luck!

Highlands

Visit site
My dads waiting too, he doesn't ride so does no concern him but make sure you say you want to ride. Friend had one done and best thing ever, back ridin again.

Redders

Visit site
My old YO had her hip and knee replaced, within 6 months she was riding regularly again and was eventing again less than a year after- she could also do all her stable chores quicker than us younger ones on the yard! The key is baby steps and doing what you are comfortable with and paying attention to what your drs say. An older lady at my current yard had one 6 months ago, not riding yet but doing all her chores and we are helping her 'ride' a big blue barrel with an old saddle on to see how she feels swinging her legs over and being in a saddle. Once she is confident there we will help her back in the saddle. I hope the ops go well and wish you a speedy recovery!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I taught a lady who had had both hips replaced, she was "mature" and since the operation she set about teaching her arab to jump. Little slows her down, she rides for hours with no problems.

I seem to recollect someone rode Dressage in an Olympics after a hip replacement,

Good luck!

Surreydeb

Visit site
My friend has a hip replacement and is completely back to normal riding a wide cob. Just took it slowly to start with and listened to her doctors - was riding again after about 8 months.

NZJenny

Visit site
My mum had both of her hips replaced last year.

She isn't a rider, but after having the first one done, and the difference it made for her, she didn't hesitate over the second one. Although in her late 70's mum has always been incredibly active - table tennis, walking and Scottish Country dancing and she went from being able to do all that to barely being able to walk to the letter box because of the pain.

After her ops, she was back to everything - I was thrilled for her. She was driving within three weeks, and able to cope on her own at home within a couple of days of coming out of hospital, albeit with a crutch.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

agmp

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the need for the operations, I know a few people who have had hips and/or knees replaced and are back riding - think that it took a while, but most of them back to normal activities and unless you knew they had it done you wouldn't know they had it done (if that makes sense!). I think the main thing is not to hurry back to normal and listen to your body during recovery.
Good luck!!

w1bbler

Visit site
My friend ( early 40s} has had both hips done a few years ago.
Still jumps & dressage better than me:-( but hasnt managed to get back into vaulting, which was her thing years ago.
Think it took about a year to be back to full strength.

heatk07

Visit site
I had a hip resurfacing, very similar to hip replacement, it was fab! I came round from the operation in less pain than I had gone in with and was back riding in weeks. The hospital said riding astride was the safest position for the hip. I hadn't been able to ride at all pre operation as the hip had seized so badly! That was 2001 and I still ride regularly with no hip problems! I would highly recommended it! Xx

Carsmore

Visit site
Ooooo hip resurfacing?? Will have to look into that. Very happy to hear you are painfree still. Was that on the NHS? Why did the surgeon suggest that instead of the THR? Never even heard of it....very interesting :)

heatk07

Visit site
I believe it's know as the Birmingham hip, I was only 19 when I had it done, and it is thought to last longer than the total, it was 13 years ago and still as good as the day I had it done! Yes it was on the NHS, Mr Treacy at the royal orthopaedic Birmingham. I was very sceptical of ever being out of pain and leading a 'normal' life, but that is exactly what I have now! Xx

Ceriann

Visit site
I've just broken my hip and may well need a hip replacement or further work. Ive been told that, with time, I should be able to do most things (including riding) - I just need to be aware it will be a little stiffer!

Carsmore

Visit site
Thank you so much for the replies! You have all given me hope when I thought there was none. In for cortisone injections on both hips in feb. I shall have to see what that brings, but the THR doesnt sound like the death knoll that it previously did. Actually hoping for it if thats sounds right? Cant wait for some pain free riding and more mobility!