Life after Sarcoids

debsey1

Visit site
Toby (my horse now) had a stressful 2 1/2 years with his previous owner due to going to one livery yard to another and then breaking out in sarcoids. His previous owner wrote to me to explain:

After moving to yet another yard and less than 3 months of being there, Toby broke out in lumps all round and warty and others were soft and fleshy growths. The vet confirmed their worse fear - they were sarcoids and lots of them growing at an alarming rate. Toby became quite unwell. The prognosis was not good.

There are 6 different types of sarcoid and Toby had 3 of them! My vet contacted Professor Derek Knottenbelt of Leeds University, who is the leading researcher into sarcoids. Under professor Knottenbelt who diagnosed each of the 3 types, prescribed the treatment plan. The treatment was using chemotherapy in form of a cream. This literally burnt the tumours and flesh and he had to have it applied regularly over 3 months. He was very unwell and had huge craters of burnt flesh all over him which had to heal, it was a long, slow process. The areas had to be kept clean to keep scar tissue to a mininum.

During this time the yard we were at became very hostile and were unbelievably cruel to me. No one would speak to me they would shout at me telling me I was unfit to own a horse as I had put all theirs at risk of sarcoids and had moved us out of the main stable block to what was an old wood shed on our own. Toby was not allowed to see or mix with the other horses even though our vet said not to isolate him. I dreaded going there each day. (At this point in the letter I was in tears)

Soon enough, they gave us our marching orders. I then had to find yet another home for Toby. I had lost all my confidence I had and left feeling that wherever we went people would point fingers as the previous yrad and its occupants were well known in the circles.

(Long story short) The previous owner found a temporary field from a farmer for a few weeks before selling him to a dealer (she couldn't cope any longer). A dealer who I will not mention and this is where I stepped in and became Toby's new owner.

We have been together for 18 months now and his sarcoids have healed beautifully you wouldn't even know he had them :) He is still a youngish boy at 14 years and we do everything together.

So the moral of this tale is:- people who read this and have a horse with sarcoids don't despair, it can be treated. I think in Toby's case I am starting to think that maybe stress from moving to one liver yard after another brought on his sarcoids. He is so much better and a lovely lovely boy

THE END​

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
so refereshing to hear someone being positive about sarcoids, there is so much doom and gloom attached to them. I have a horse with all 6 types overhis body. He was previously treated with anything and everythig going. nothing worked and the got worse. I stopped all treatment and they are slowly disappearing. Even the massive ones are reducing. They dont hurt him and no other horse has picked them up. He is just happy and healthy now.

Sunshine

Visit site
My anglo had a couple round his sheath when we were on livery back in 1997, a new horse had arrived with one starting near its girth and the vet said flies had transferred the virus. The Liverpool cream was a newish treatment and he had that for a couple of months and they all disappeared. Then we moved about three years later to a yard near cows and a reservoir and he got another, more dangly one, on the inside of his thigh. Same vet came out and while we waited for the cream again she put a sheep castration ring on it to help starve it and make it shrink. Before the cream was ready it had shrivelled and dropped off -no scar/mark or warty lumps or anything. He has been completely fine ever since, but I would agree that he has been much less stressed as out full time on our own yard since then.

KVH

Visit site
How nice and refreshing to hear such a positive outcome!
So glad he has a loving, settled home now.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
It's lovely your horse found a caring owner like you. I'm sure the old owner was pleased to know where he ended up. They must have been devestated to sell him. It's so sad it came to that due to people's nastyness. It's good to hear a positive ending anyway.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So pleased the horse is having a good life. I hope his previous owner has recovered as well.

Our Little Cob had a dangly one when we got him. I knew nothing about them, despite having worked with horses many moons ago. On someone's advice I banded it and it dropped off. Now I know more I don't think I'd try that again, but it worked then for that one. We've had the pony for gettin on for seven years now and he's not had any more :)

rhylis

Visit site
I have a mare with sarcoids and its lovely to hear a positive note about them. Pipers sarcoids flared up a while after I bought her, Ive owned her for 9 years now and over that time she's had them above her eye, on her poll, on her chest and on her inner thigh. They start as small lumps and then flare up at a very fast rate ending up as large bleeding masses. My vet was allways against treating them with liverpool cream ( the eye one especially ) and allways said to leave them but keep flies of them as much as possible. So thats what ive allways done. Piper has never seemed to notice them and although they look unpleasant they dont seem to cause her pain.
With each sarcoid Pipers had they flare up, bleed a bit then fall off of their
own accord. It has meant there have been times when she hasnt been able to have tack on but she has a little holiday untill the sarcoid goes then we get back to riding afterwards.
I love Piper to bits and although I bought her with the idea of competing (periods of time off put a stop to that) I wouldnt dream of giving up on her. We just hack and school and have a great time together, sarcoids allowing!!
Ive been told to put many things on the sarcoids over the years from marmite to toothpaste but my vet told me that sarcoids tend to fall off on their own eventually so most of the miracle cures are just coincidence as the sarcoid would have come away anyway!