life as a stable lass/lad?

SillyMare

Visit site
Horrible pay. Long hours. Hard work. Heartbreaking when things go wrong.

BUT you get to spend every day with amazing horses and if you are good enough to ride, working the horses is the best fun ever.

Wouldn't be for me as a proper job but I have had loads of fun in the past riding out on a Saturday morning.

RealityCheck

Visit site
Considering you seem to have no equine experience (if past posts are to be believed... :p:cool:) no, it's not going to be a good job, is it?

MiCsarah

Visit site
Normally poor pay, weird long hours in racing as you usually have a section of the morning off after exercise if not racing. Aslong as you've got a good group of people though you can have amazing fun and meet some great people

bonny

Visit site
Depends what yard you work for and how far you can progress. Wages and conditions vary as well but it is standardised as long as you are in decent sized yard.

platypus

Visit site
If your really interested in working with horses get down the local riding school..help at weekends, find your self an apprenticeship dont go into racing for a silly boy!! Whats the odds you get placed at his yard and then its a hard days work starting in the early hours..they dont want to employ somebody who stands around gawping at the jockeys.

ludlow

Visit site
^^^^ this! Its long hours, hard work (especially in the winter) and the money isn't great. But it can be a fantastic experience if you are really keen and love horses. Without having a passion (for the 4 legged things on the yard) it would be tough to stay motivated I'd imagine. I work at a riding school & livery yard at the weekends and absolutely love it, but I certainly don't do it for the money! I'd suggest defo going the riding school route first and getting some experience with horses as a starter for ten.

Em123

Visit site
Hahaha EKW it's amazing some of the girls that think they will be getting into bed with the top jocks! Actually you will end up with the grotty apprentice trying to hump your leg!!

Nightlark

Visit site
You dont get to sleep with the famous jockeys, soz! Just the young wannabe's that don't have a clu!

Hahaha EKW it's amazing some of the girls that think they will be getting into bed with the top jocks! Actually you will end up with the grotty apprentice trying to hump your leg!!

^^^ Hahahaha love both of these!! I think every racing yard has one of those grotty apprentices who are always up for anything with anyone. I know ours does!

The wife

Visit site
Long long hours. Low pay (although more than what I earn running my own yard mind), heart wrenching but very rewarding if you are dedicated enough. It takes time to gain respect in a racing yard, an ability to handle cruel banter from the lads at times, be treated as a 'girl' until you prove otherwise. Some of the bigger yards, the head lad won't even know your name, you'll be a face. Constantly weight watching... I could go on with the list of negatives! Unfortunately on paper the negatives outweigh the positives!

The wife

Visit site

And yes this too... EVERY Friday and Saturday night after a night out/when horse wins/when horse doesn't start/basically most nights of the week.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
And yes this too... EVERY Friday and Saturday night after a night out/when horse wins/when horse doesn't start/basically most nights of the week.

Only every friday and saturday night? It happened everyday where I worked, maybe because i also lived in the same house as them.... I would recommend a lock on your door and a sense of humour as a must :D

I still blame that time for corrupting my young innocent mind into the dirty mind i now have, but it was the most fun I've ever had.

The wife

Visit site
Only every friday and saturday night? It happened everyday where I worked, maybe because i also lived in the same house as them.... I would recommend a lock on your door and a sense of humour as a must :D

I still blame that time for corrupting my young innocent mind into the dirty mind i now have, but it was the most fun I've ever had.

Oh yes without a doubt... I went into racing a devout Christian... Look what the hell happened!