Life on hold for a year

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Having read in the Daily Fail that restrictions of some form are quite likely to be ongoing for some time until a vaccine for Covid-19 is created has got me thinking about how long I can realistically put life on hold with my horse.

My mare is at a rehabilitation yard on full livery 22 miles away from my home, moved on the 17.2.20 as we have had ongoing lameness issues which hopefully now is resolved in terms of vet treatment (4k later ?).

She is being kept ticking over by the YO in terms of exercise, and there is no ban on full liveries going to the yard as everyone is adhering to the cross contamination and social distancing measures the YO has put in place. However, I have not been for the last 3 weeks as felt that it wasn’t essential travel.

But, with another period of lockdown imminent and then even after that the possibility of some form of restrictions for quite some time I am in such a quandary as what to do with regards to riding my horse. She needs consistent proper work to rebuild top line and i can’t just allow her to get fat in the field (suspected PSSM2 on top of physical issues). ?

So, people on this forum who have horses on full livery and have stayed away like me, what are your plans? How long realistically are you going to stay away?

DirectorFury

Visit site
Mine has EMS and exercise is key for her to keep her weight down. She’s also on full livery ~20 miles away!

The yard is currently on lockdown as YO has suspected COVID (I’m hoping they’re all ok as they’re the most wonderful people) but after it reopens I’m going to be riding again. A lot of our routes are isolated and can be ridden without touching any gates or fences, none of the other liveries are riding at the moment and it’s full livery only on the yard so I wouldn’t be coming into contact with people.
We don’t have a school or anywhere to do groundwork so hacking is my only option.

be positive

Visit site
I don't think life will return to normality for some time, some restrictions may remain in place so I would be looking at options for the longer term that will fit in better with your plans for the horse, even if you don't move immediately I am guessing she was not going to remain there for the next 12 months anyway so take your time and find the right place so you can book a space and move when it suits.
My liveries are still coming to exercise, one is doing KS rehab which is fairly essential, the other has been off all winter due to minor issues but is now a laminitis risk so is being exercised to help reduce that, we are in a very quiet area with no real increase in walkers and a definite reduction in traffic so they are still hacking out as well as doing work in the school.

Suechoccy

Visit site
I think we will be on lockdown till end of May/mid-June, and then social distancing measures in place for 2-3 months or more after that.

Reactions: JJS

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
Sounds to me that in your case travel to exercise/rehab your horse is essential due to welfare issues therefore if YO is happy for you to do so then go and ride. No one knows how long restrictions will be in place and most likely even when things are relaxed leisure related activities will be the last thing to be let out of lockdown, plus with the likelihood of another peak of infections in the autumn/winter and with it anothet lockdown, it is something we are going to have to live with for a while. The reality is that CV is now a fact of life and even when a vaccine is available it's unlikely to be deemed necessary for everyone as the vast majority only get mild symptoms or are asymptomatic so we'll all have to accept that we'll probably catch it at some point.

Chappie

Visit site
I can't cope with thinking that far ahead. I can only do one day at a time. I'm alone in a small flat with a elderly neighbour who won't compromise on playing loud radio 8am till tea time every day. She's used to me being out so I never knew how loud it had got, and it was never this bad when I had, say, a week off work. My pets hate the racket and I'm struggling to work from home.

Overlook the valley where the yard is. Not been anywhere near since 23rd Mar. My daily routine was 8-6 work in an office then 7 - late at the yard. Sat & Sun out at the yard nearly dawn to dusk. Now im inside 23 hours a day. I don't have a car just now and getting supplies like food has been a problem.

Horses are turned out about 6 hours Tue Wed Thu. The rest of the time they are now stabled. The yard worked on the premise that the owners, mostly children, came every day and exercised. Hacked, schooled, lunged, hand grazed and used the trash paddock. A lot of the stables are small and not modern. Some horses are only getting in the trash paddock a few hours one day a week as they can't do group turnout. They get mucked out once a day and hayed and fed if needed. The yard owners do care about the horses, there is a lot of animals there and not a lot of staff, and they will be losing massive amounts of money from their other business.

Luckily one livery is going once a day and she gives the two ponies I loan a small amount extra hay from my store as one is on shavings so can't eat the straw bed. She's keeping an eye on them. They are apparently doing okay, for now, they are used to being stabled. I used to soak the night hay but can't ask for too much, she has her own to do too.

The ponies owners originally bought them for their kids but the kids are adults now and don't ride anymore and the parents aren't knowledgeable, but they still care what happens to the ponies.

Livery where we are is very hard to come by, there is nowhere else near, 'near' here is 30-40 miles away, can be inaccessible in winter and not necessarily any better. Nobody has fields to let, even if we were allowed to move. There is a vacant field nearby which did have a horse in it a couple of years ago, but the fencing doesn't look safe.

So yes I am worried. I don't know what will happen long term. I don't know what the ponies will be like after this 'time off'. Nobody is grooming, picking out feet, treating for minor conditions. I don't know about the farrier situation, I just got feet done 3 days before lockdown so they'll be okay a while yet. A friend just got made redundant and had to give up her loan horse. I've had mine 5 years. The company I work for was not doing well before all this and is a niche leisure based business. I hope it can pull through.

My family all live hundreds of miles apart. My father aged 71 has been in hospital for two weeks for cancer related problems and had two big operations within a few days to create a stoma and bag. We are getting no information on his condition except we heard he was frail and he isn't up to communicating. It's really concerning us. My brother and his partner are nurses, my brother in a care home. My mum aged nearly 70 is unable to get shopping delivered so is going out though we're trying to find ways for her not to.

We might not all be in the same boat but we do all have our problems. Stay safe everyone and hope we can all get through this as soon as is possible x

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Just wanted to update this thread, I have been to see my mare today and I’m so glad I did, I adore this horse and I have missed her so much.

I watched the yard owner do a very short schooling session in which she was foot perfect and then I popped on. Shes not been ridden for 6 weeks following vet treatment and then rest/turnout/physio/massage to allow everything to settle and she felt wonderful.