Ligament Damage

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Usually diagnosis is made through scanning the leg.

Treatment would I suppose depend on what was actually the problem.

For Amy - 4 months box rest, bute initially. Then in hand work - building up to ridden. Basically a year of buggerness.....

TGM

Visit site
These days they usually scan for diagnosis - although 20+ years ago when my old mare did her suspensory it was just done by feel and guesswork! My mare had a couple of months box rest and then careful return to work. In her case she never had any return of the problem despite competing in XC and ODEs subsequently.

ihatework

Visit site
Mine did a sesamoid ligament, had a month in the box and shockwave therapy and then 9 months out in the paddock before starting controlled exercise

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Thanks Amymay.

crazy.gif

What sort of scan is used to make a diagnosis?

p x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Amymay.

crazy.gif

What sort of scan is used to make a diagnosis?

p x

[/ QUOTE ]
Ultrasound (I think.......). But essentially the same thing you would use on your tummy if you were pregnant.

What is the problem, when was it done, has vet been?????

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
He went lame last week. Vet came, suggested it may be an abcess as did my farrier. A bit worse this week, still no definite sign of pus, but had local farrier look at him today and is not sure if it is pus.
He is about 4/10 on the turn today, so am thinking maybe ligament damage.
frown.gif

BUT as he has DJD in both coffin joints I am not too sure box rest would be the best for him and not sure if the insurance company would authorise an investigation (depending on cost) I could afford a scan, but not an MRI or anything like that, I just don't have the money.

sally2008

Visit site
frown.gif
I think you need to speak to the vet again hun to see what he thinks / recommends. Has he still got heat around the coronet band?

ihatework

Visit site
Are you sure it's not just his DJD playing up? the ground has been so hard recently he might be a bit jarred up ?

If there is nothing to see/feel then you will be looking at a series of nerve blocks to locate the area of pain, followed by an ultrasound if it is suspected to be ligamental or xrays for possible DJD changes.

Either way you will be looking at spending a bit of cash.

Does he respond to bute?

Might be worth turning him away for a bit and seeing what happens if you don't want to sped out on investigations.

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Have just spoken to my farrier and he said that if the poultice doesn't work with the shoe off and put higher up aswell, then its ligament damage.

I will speak to the vet but farrier has said not to have him box rested.

I am so confused
confused.gif

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
He was hoof tested and flexion tested. No reaction to anything that was thrown at him. Not sure if he is just being tough or it is something deep within the hoof capsule. No heat, swelling, nothing.
I had him on bute for 5 days. I stopped as I wanted to reassess the situation and since coming off the bute, he is now worse.
I don't mind spending out, and if it is not DJD or Nav related then the insurance will pay out, its just taking that risk.

P x

sally2008

Visit site
With his history of DJD I can understand why C would say don't box rest him - I agree that keeping him moving gently, if you have the facilities to turn him out in a small space, would be a much better option.

You poor thing. Such a worry.

samp

Visit site
Personally I would speak to your vet who can diagnose ligament damage. Farriers are great at there job but they are not vets and really can not say a horse has ligament damage. I think it could be more DJD if not heat or swelling to the leg.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Hopefully it will be the hard ground making him not right.

I have noticed that Mr C whilst not lame, is being careful not to do too much running around in the field - in the school he is fine. Hard ground and old heavy horses are not the best combination.

Hope all is ok with the big boy - sending him a kiss from C&C and myself.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
If its in the hoof itself it can be difficult to scan with ultrasound due to the hoof wall, the tendons down the back of the leg are much easier to visualise using ultrasound. Has he had nerve blocks to find out where the pain is?
Within the hoof are several ligaments, all joints have collateral ligaments (that run either side of the joint for support) the flexor tendons also insert onto bones within the hoof. A digital nerve block would help to locate the site of pain to narrow down the cause, if he has DJD in the coffin joint an x-ray may help to see if there are further changes or alterations in the navicular bone.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have just spoken to my farrier and he said that if the poultice doesn't work with the shoe off and put higher up aswell, then its ligament damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
P, you need to consult with your vet, this is a really sweeping statement.

Is there any swelling, heat ect any where on the leg??

Gravel (abcess) can take ages to come out sometimes. We have had horses on / off lame for weeks without any sign of anything in particular in the foot - and then hey presto, out it bursts.

If you are genuinly concerned - the vet is your man.

Fingers crossed.

_l_i_z_

Visit site
friends horse had to have mri scar on ligaments in top of hoof, 6 months box rest but still not quite right. was only lame on concrete on 10m circle tho

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
QR
Thank you all for your input on this.
I have spoken to my vet, and they will be coming out today to reasses our situation.
I think our next course of action will be to xray to rule out any further arthritic changes, or any changes in the Navicular bone.
If these are clean, or at least no worse than before, then I think he will be referred for an MRI.

Thank you once again.

Paula x