Ligament / tendon injuries - how long to recover/ treatment opt?

blackhor2e

Visit site
I guess what I'm really looking for is hopefully someone with some experience of the injury I am about to describe -

2 years ago after a week on holiday I got on my mare and she was lame on her right fore, after some discussion and various scans my vet suggested an MRI would reveal the crux of the problem, so I took her for an MRI, whose findings were -

''The most significant findings are desmitis of the medial collateral ligament of the DIP joint and the DDFT lesion and associated bursa fibrosis. The pathology to the medial collateral ligament appears more acute, whereas the changes to the DDFT and navicular bursa are more chronic. It is likely both conditions can be the cause of lameness.''

The place we had the MRI done suggested the following treatments -

''Treatment for the medial collateral ligament desmopathy could include intra/peri-ligamentous injection with IRAP or PRP, shockwave therapy and Tildren as a regional intravenous perfusion or alternatively IV. Suggested treatment for the DDFT lesion and bursitis would be bursa medication with corico steroid or alternatively navicular bursoscopy.''

But my vet thought she would probably do just as well to have a year or so in the field, shoes off etc and bring her back to work slowly. Well we have done this two times (12mths off then slowly bringing back to work) and it hasn't worked. So I am getting another vet (2nd opinion) to see whether treatment is an option this far down the line as unfortunately over recent days she has gone really lame which is so upsetting, as she owes me nothing, I don't want her to be jumping or dressage at a high level now I just want her to be comfortable.

Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees for me either so I inevitably have to weigh up the costs of all the above said treatments.

I really don't know what I am asking on here part from am I being silly for perservering with a lame horse, some have mentioned the field in the sky is the best place for her which is why I am getting another opinion. I think I feel I haven't done enough for her as I have gone the 'cheap' route of time, Dr Green and barefoot without going straight away to medications.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare. I can't offer any advice, but two years in a field to be like you did the best thing for her, many would just rush to medicate rather than wait.

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

blackhor2e

Visit site
Thanks for the message Horsemad12, I hope when the vet sees her on Monday she will be able to give some direction as to what is the best thing to do for her.

ihatework

Visit site
These type of soft tissue issues are tricky. If you have good foot balance and it hasn't come right with Dr Green and time I wouldn't be rushing into the treatments mentioned. Each have their place for specific issues but I'm not convinced the success rate for the regions you refer to are particularly high. I hope the second opinion gives you a clearer picture of your options. Horses are heartbreakers at times.

Puddleduck

Visit site
My gelding was diagnosed with pretty much the same issues in his right fore last October following an MRI (went lame in September and X-ray showed navicular changes but I decided to probe further).
I was offered the bursoscopy option but the consultant advised that it only gives 50% ish chance of speeding up the healing process for the DDFT and is not a cure for the problem. That coupled with the need for general anaesthetic and £2.5k cost made me think hard. Discussed with my vet who is very collaborative, he told me that the procedure is relatively new and the more recent result studies are showing that it may cause more damage so we agreed not to go that route. He was also against medicating the bursa with steroid as to do so means putting a large needle in which has to go through the DDFT to get to the bursa. His view for my boy's issue that could also do more damage than good as we would be putting a hole in a tendon close to where it had a tear.
We knew form the initial work up that he had come almost sound when blocked at the coffin joint so we decided to try steroid medication into the joint. First we used a short term treatment to test if our theory was right. Went back two weeks later and the results were very positive - again he was 99% sound. We decided to put a longer acting medication in and also remove his shoes to take him barefoot. That was beginning of December, we are still doing rehab walking in hand but he has improved drastically and I'm starting to think about getting back on him to continue the rehab by hacking.