Lightening the load a bit

Kenzo

Visit site
After slipping the irons on and off saddles, it made me more aware of the fact that I could do with finding a new pair of stirrups, it’s surprising how much weight you add with a pair of irons but I guess you don’t really give much thought when it comes down to stirrups unless you’re into a certain sport where the weight effects things, more about comfort and safety for most riders I guess.

So I’m going to move with the times despite not really liking the look of them and try to avoid adding unnecessary weight/bulk to my horse and saddle (even if it’s just a wee bit it will be easier to carry about on my arm!) and step away from the traditional stainless steel irons, currently using some flexi ones which I must say I really love and I don’t know if or how I’ll cope without them!

I’m on the look out for a pair of these light weight ones, I believe they made out of poly-nylon material, some are angled, they also have a wider tread and some have the option of interchangeable treads depending on the grip you want, grip is a good thing but sometimes I do like the fact that my foot can easily slip the stirrup if needs be.

Some seam to come in a standard size which is 4 ¾ I think my current irons are a 4 ½ which seem plenty big enough so wouldn’t want any bigger pair though otherwise they would be too big.

Can anyone recommend a pair? I'd prefer a budget pair as opposed to a more expensive brand however.

LouS

Visit site
I've had some Royal Rider flexi ones for about 6 years and I hate riding in anything else to be honest. They're worth the investment I think.

Kenzo

Visit site
I've had some Royal Rider flexi ones for about 6 years and I hate riding in anything else to be honest. They're worth the investment I think.

Ooo right thanks, I’ll take a look, how much do they retail at? I suppose you can’t knock something till you’ve tried it, I was wondering if any of the ones on ebay are any good, talking about the ones that are less than say £50.00 for example, as I know some of these stirrups can be rather expensive and are obviously aimed at the more competitive rider which isn’t me.