Lightning strike to field

vhf

Visit site
Several years ago mine were out in a dreadful electric storm. I was out with them at 3am, they were grazing quietly but the sky was so lit up it was like daylight. About 4am there was the most almighty thunderclap, shook the 200year-old granite cottage and then all went still. Went out at 6am to be met by 1 very badly injured horse outside the field, one healthy one inside the field, and two destroyed fences - brand new stock fence flattened and immediately behind it a solid Cornish hedge with a hole blown through it. We will never know what happened but it looked like somehow the horse was thrown through the fences with enough force to destroy them both and land on her head on a road six foot below. Horse eventually recovered but has never been quite the same - mental and physical scars. There were times when I thought she might have been better not to have survived but she is now living a good if different-to-planned life.

Bellalily

Visit site
Several years ago mine were out in a dreadful electric storm. I was out with them at 3am, they were grazing quietly but the sky was so lit up it was like daylight. About 4am there was the most almighty thunderclap, shook the 200year-old granite cottage and then all went still. Went out at 6am to be met by 1 very badly injured horse outside the field, one healthy one inside the field, and two destroyed fences - brand new stock fence flattened and immediately behind it a solid Cornish hedge with a hole blown through it. We will never know what happened but it looked like somehow the horse was thrown through the fences with enough force to destroy them both and land on her head on a road six foot below. Horse eventually recovered but has never been quite the same - mental and physical scars. There were times when I thought she might have been better not to have survived but she is now living a good if different-to-planned life.
Good Lord, sounds like the storm I talked about above. We had a huge crack and crash and I was sure the house had been struck, but on investigation it was ok. Found out why we had a lightning conductor on a telegraph pole 50 yards from the house. All the electric fence was up, all the horses in one field, sheep scattered around. And all the land was underwater. One helluva night.

• Wow
Reactions: vhf

vhf

Visit site
Good Lord, sounds like the storm I talked about above. We had a huge crack and crash and I was sure the house had been struck, but on investigation it was ok. Found out why we had a lightning conductor on a telegraph pole 50 yards from the house. All the electric fence was up, all the horses in one field, sheep scattered around. And all the land was underwater. One helluva night.
13th September 2016. Not going to be forgetting it in a hurry.