Lightweight Cob, Small Hunter or just a bog pony ?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is rare for me not to be able to judge type, quality and suitability, but for this horse I cannot make my mind up. If it was 17h it would be a middleweight. A good small is a scaled down middle. But I am not sure the quality is there for a small. But then again, many smalls are fat lightweight cobs in disguise. I am unoffendable so honest thoughts welcome.

Obviously needs a trim up, moves absolutely straight, very correct paces and naturally uphill, broken and ridden away.

P1010069_zpsbhp6g7tg.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
I looked. Looked again and still can't make my mind up. A lot might depend on how it matures over the next year. A nice type for sure. At this stage not a cob for me. But possibly a fraction course for a top end small hunter, but produced right wouldn't be out of place county.

be positive

Visit site
Lovely front but for me probably lacks the quality I would want to see in a small at county level or above, in theory the small should be a scaled down middle but she does look cobby in type and quality, send her eventing and have a new interest, she would enjoy the variety.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I can't offer an opinion on whether she'd be a cob or not. All I can say is what a lovely stamp of a horse she is.

marotelle

Visit site
She has a beautiful front end and lovely shoulders, I am not a professional; I guess it very much depends how she matures this year, I would not hog her,but yes I would aim her for
the small hunter, she might all of a sudden surprise you with a huge spurt of growth, but then I guess you will have to forget her for another year! Aren't they infuriating, but then that's why we love them so much!!
By the way she is lovely,I could certainly find a box for her at home...

Doormouse

Visit site
I looked. Looked again and still can't make my mind up. A lot might depend on how it matures over the next year. A nice type for sure. At this stage not a cob for me. But possibly a fraction course for a top end small hunter, but produced right wouldn't be out of place county.

Lovely front but for me probably lacks the quality I would want to see in a small at county level or above, in theory the small should be a scaled down middle but she does look cobby in type and quality, send her eventing and have a new interest, she would enjoy the variety.

I'm in agreement with both of these posts. I know she has gone over height for a cob and before you posted that picture I would have said go maxi cob but I'm not sure she is really a cob but am also not sure she quite has the class for a small.
sorry, not terribly helpful really!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
im bored so googled pics.

she seems a tad too much bone for hunter, but too slender for cob.

id clip out and see what she looks like then.

she is very lovely though, and just my type. if i was allowed to ride id come steal her. ha

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would say definitely not a cob.

If she can jump, I think she would make a nice worker. Let's face it WH don't need to be quite the quality of a hunter because jumping is more important than conformation. You could show her locally as a hunter (and most local classes will be mixed) to get her out and about. Then see how she matures.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
worker? :D

I think you need to trim and plait her up as if for a small and then see what you think/whether you can pretty out that slight coarseness (coarseness not a bad thing but you know what I mean).

Clare85

Visit site
I don't think you could show her as a cob, although she may well fill out more of course, but I don't think she has quite enough bone for a cob. I would trim and plait and show her as a small to see how she does. Agree with those saying she could be a worker - if she takes to jumping obviously :)

She is just lovely :)

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
That's a hard one to classify!

How wide is she? If she is a good width then I'd be tempted to hog and show her as a LW cob, providing measures in :)

If doesn't have the width then I'd stick her in a small class, I think in a year she will quite smart! I can picture her in a supreme ring moving nicely, smartly plaited, trimmed and a nice short shiny coat. Currently I think it's tough to see past the feather!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Blimey I don't expect to agree with the likes of you Maesfen! (In a good way, you know a lot more than me!)

only_me think the height is an issue, AA stuck her on the muck heap for too long!

minesadouble

Visit site
Tricky one but due to her age I would lean towards cob. Possibly a bit short of bone but she wouldn't be the only one by a long way. I don't think she has enough 'blood' to make a small hunter, I'm assuming she's little enough for intermediate workers but don't really see her in that class either. There's nothing worse than a lovely animal which doesn't quite seem to fall into a particular category - what a dilemma!! Maybe get her out to a clinic and see what feedback you get?

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Definitely not a Small - legs too heavy. Nice cob shape - our LW county champ had less bone than this! Slightly back at the knee in photo - at a high level judges will not like this .Otherwise a very nice sort: dont know her height- if 15.2 you ll get her measured in.

PerfectCoffee

Visit site
It would be interesting to see her clipped and trimmed, too much hair can make them look coarse and she might look refined enough for small hunter after some epilation :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It would be interesting to see her clipped and trimmed, too much hair can make them look coarse and she might look refined enough for small hunter after some epilation :)
I'm with this, too. The feathers, head and jawline will need be trimmed whichever category you enter her in. Its only the hogging which is more radical. She doesn't look to me to have enough bone for cob showing, but what do I know?

Please can we have more side on pics after her beauty session, including one with the mane plaited down on the other side of her neck, to mimic the hogged look?

She's a grand sort, of course, top level PC/RC allrounder as a minimum, even if she doesn't quite pigeon hole into a showing category.

conniegirl

Visit site
I had the same dilema with my lad who looked very very similar. He developed into a beautiful small hunter but we had a year of in betweenyness

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have ordered a 50 gallon drum of Immac, sharpened the chainsaw and found the kitchen scissors.

Correct height is unknown as she fidgeted so badly I could not get the spirit level steady on the stick, 15.1 or 2 at the moment. Having a lot of ID in her she will grow for a while yet and knowing my luck she will be over height for anything in the ring. I might need a jump jockey for her instead of a show rider.

She can go local showing in the moose class for education this summer. Regardless, she has been a joy to raise and watch grow up.

IMG_0155_zps29f74608.jpg

Last edited:

fishy

Visit site
I am in the same predicament, my 4 year old is somewhere in between but I'm hoping he makes a lightweight cob. I don't know how to post pics 😕 to show you, but he has too much bone for a hunter and is just 14.3 1/2 on his wither but higher behind. To be fair I don't mind what he is because he's a fan little fun guy!😀