Lightweight Cob, Small Hunter or just a bog pony ?

Riz

Visit site
this was my guy when I got him from Ireland
9F1BAEF2-AC71-4378-914A-5AAF5154D13B_zpsmzysz7d5.jpg

and this is him 8 months later
694872C1-0250-4FF2-8F7B-344EC9C7AA5F_zpsroiotkzh.jpg

he is only 15.2!

8 months?! Wow-what a transformation! Very nice indeed 😊

conniegirl

Visit site
8 months?! Wow-what a transformation! Very nice indeed ��

yep, that photo from Ireland is one of the better photos, he was one of those horses who on the flight home I was questioning what on earth I was thinking!
but he took everything in his stride, 8 weeks after arriving (barely handled and rather feral) he was at his first inhand show and 2 weeks after that was undersaddle at a show. He is utterly awsome to have around and one of the best horses I have ever owned

ElliePippa

Visit site
I think she'll make a nice maxi once matured (though only if those legs don't get any longer!). Hallmark IX is certainly not one of the heavier stamps of a maxi and look at his success! Just depends how much bone she's got beneath the feathers. But what a beautiful girl- how is she bred?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Blimey I don't expect to agree with the likes of you Maesfen! (In a good way, you know a lot more than me!)

only_me think the height is an issue, AA stuck her on the muck heap for too long!

Lol, don't be daft!
I thought that if she trimmed her up, plaited her and took loads of pic's, both in hand and under saddle AA might have more of an idea before she goes the whole hog and does hog (sorry!) You can't put it back once it's gone - or not for a long time!

That muck heap has a lot to answer for, look at Ted!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think she'll make a nice maxi once matured (though only if those legs don't get any longer!). Hallmark IX is certainly not one of the heavier stamps of a maxi and look at his success! Just depends how much bone she's got beneath the feathers. But what a beautiful girl- how is she bred?

Avanti Amorous Archie x Irish Vanner.

IMG_0182_zpsa2643028.jpg

Embo

Visit site
Tut tut, you are all wrong. There's only one thing for her and that's to be... Embo's new horse!

:D :D :D

So lovely, just my type. And those foal pics!

Luci07

Visit site
Poor Alice!

My old mare (Irish cob 15.1 X TB 16.2)...ended up as a 16.3 intermediate eventer. She hung around the 15.2/3 mark for a while ...and then grew..

Regardless of where she could be placed showing she always comes across as a sensible and charming mare. I would seriously look at the side saddle option for her as well.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Poor Alice!

My old mare (Irish cob 15.1 X TB 16.2)...ended up as a 16.3 intermediate eventer. She hung around the 15.2/3 mark for a while ...and then grew..

Regardless of where she could be placed showing she always comes across as a sensible and charming mare. I would seriously look at the side saddle option for her as well.

What !, you must of fed her on Miracle Grow.

I love watching the side saddle classes at the big shows. She is sensible and will be a lovely horse. She is struggling with the lorry at the moment, loads and unloads with perfect manners but gets anxious on the move.

I shall give her Miracle Grow and she can be the middleweight I wanted, and if I don't muck out for 12 months that will help too.

eggs

Visit site
My first thought was not enough quality for hunters but also not a cob. She looks a good sort and my first thought was workers (providing she can jump!).

Luci07

Visit site
What !, you must of fed her on Miracle Grow.

I love watching the side saddle classes at the big shows. She is sensible and will be a lovely horse. She is struggling with the lorry at the moment, loads and unloads with perfect manners but gets anxious on the move.

I shall give her Miracle Grow and she can be the middleweight I wanted, and if I don't muck out for 12 months that will help too.

I went to watch a side saddle lesson/workshop and it was fascinating. Not sure if you have ever done this but I rethought (rapidly) about my plans to do this with Big Ears. He is a very elegant horse but you really do need a sensible pony who won't mind the whole getting on (and off) procedure and you are "perched" so something that likes to jump around would probably not be a good idea. As Big Ears is not keen on me bending over his shoulder or lifting my leg up for girths etc I thought we might well come to grief trying side saddle.

As you know, ID's can sometimes have a little habit of suddenly growing... round about the 5 or 6 year old stage.. not sure Alice will make upto your lovely ex show hunter but regardless, it seems almost mean to say she isn't good enough for this or that..!I know showing is subjective but she does look like she will turn her toes to most things..

chillipup

Visit site
Sorry AA no ideas from me I'm afraid, I haven't a scooby but she is lovely and certainly not just a bog pony! I'm looking forward to seeing her again after the makeover, will you be going for the full brazilian or just the bikini line? ;)

Good grief Conniegirl, I have no idea how tall you are but in the first pic, your guy looks about 14hh to me. In the second he looks 17hh and if it wasn't for his markings, I'd be convinced it was a different horse! :)

this was my guy when I got him from Ireland
9F1BAEF2-AC71-4378-914A-5AAF5154D13B_zpsmzysz7d5.jpg

and this is him 8 months later
694872C1-0250-4FF2-8F7B-344EC9C7AA5F_zpsroiotkzh.jpg

he is only 15.2!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would doubt it was the same horse too ! remarkable change.

Just seen Hallmark is going out amateur ridden this year. Alice you need to measure in, you really do not want to meet Hallmark.!

Starbucks

Visit site
It is rare for me not to be able to judge type, quality and suitability, but for this horse I cannot make my mind up. If it was 17h it would be a middleweight. A good small is a scaled down middle. But I am not sure the quality is there for a small. But then again, many smalls are fat lightweight cobs in disguise. I am unoffendable so honest thoughts welcome.

Obviously needs a trim up, moves absolutely straight, very correct paces and naturally uphill, broken and ridden away.

P1010069_zpsbhp6g7tg.jpg

Omg this could actually be my mums old horse!!! I think he might be a bit smaller? Ours was 16 hands. Hunter all the way. Ours has been a fab horse. Eventer as well he has been well placed BE100. Love him!

conniegirl

Visit site
Sorry AA no ideas from me I'm afraid, I haven't a scooby but she is lovely and certainly not just a bog pony! I'm looking forward to seeing her again after the makeover, will you be going for the full brazilian or just the bikini line? ;)

Good grief Conniegirl, I have no idea how tall you are but in the first pic, your guy looks about 14hh to me. In the second he looks 17hh and if it wasn't for his markings, I'd be convinced it was a different horse! :)

Thanks, in the first photo it is my sister holding him she is about 5ft 8
I'm riding in the second photo and I'm only 5ft3! With stubby legs!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hallmark's now in amateur classes? What the heck? What happened to sportsmanship?

It is common for pro produced horses to reach the end of their career and go into amateur hands. Hallmark is being ridden by his owner, so in effect he has gone home. Another high profile one is Oathill Take the Biscuit, who is or was for sale. He was pro produced and then owner ridden before going on the market after Hoys. He has a bit of history and didn't sell.

bliss87

Visit site
Not enough quality for a Small Hunter. Maybe make a cob with maturity. But cobs still need some quality especially in the limb; people seem to miss the point that a cob still has to have some quality about them non more so than maxi where people seem to think anothing will go.

I got told Oathill take the biscuit went to Jess Cronk as the owner couldn't afford to keep it with Danielle Heath anymore; Won RIHS when DH took the ride back and was 5th at HOYS with Jess on

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It is common for pro produced horses to reach the end of their career and go into amateur hands. Hallmark is being ridden by his owner, so in effect he has gone home. .

Takes pot hunting to a whole new level as in a non-level playing field IMO with a horse of that class against other amateurs. Yes, he still has to be ridden well but his quality and former publicity means he will be 75% ahead at the start; any others will be playing catch up. Be a real fillip to beat him though and then the poor owner will get it in the neck for not doing it as well as the producer; they can't win lol!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^Maesfen beat me to it!

Was just about to post humphh to a former top show horse reappearing in amateur classes, even if it's common place. It sure ain't sporting. By all means go and do a completely different discipline with the horse, but stay out of showing.

KautoStar1

Visit site
well I don't think she is actually doing amateur classes. He was entered in an ID breed class a couple of weeks ago (but didn't compete), which is an open class and he's perfectly entitled to do that & I think they won an open maxi class a couple of weeks ago too. Amateur refers to the rider not the horse.
There are quite a few top horses that have 'gone home' and whilst have been successful - OTTB and Pearly King are two I can think of off the top of my head - they've not done so well without the professional on board. You can take that whatever way you want.
Anyway, if Hallmark is out in the ID breed classes up here the rest of us are doomed, LOL. Although to be fair I expect he will only need to go out once to collect his blue chip ticket !

minesadouble

Visit site
I don't see it as pot hunting at all. Just because an amateur owns a fabulous horse shouldn't mean they can't show it themselves as amateur/home produced.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I don't see it as pot hunting at all. Just because an amateur owns a fabulous horse shouldn't mean they can't show it themselves as amateur/home produced.

But if the horse has won at a professional level its not fair. Its like say, a member of a pop group years later winning a national amateur televised singing competition....

Visit site
There is also the fact that the owner may not feed/groom/exercise/turnout/ride the horse as well as the pros and it may not look as good or go as well for them.

Its a whole different board game at home.