Lightweight rug recommendations?

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I need a lightweight rug for paddy, he is not the hardiest and can’t cope with summer storms - I did try putting him out naked once last year when it was warm but very very rainy but when I got him in from the field he was shivering and very unimpressed. But his lovely Rambo 100g is too warm... so I’m looking at lightweight rugs, either 0g or up to 40g.
Any suggestions? I know rambos are great but the prices start at 230 which is more than I’d hoped for a rug which won’t be used much. Also looking at Rhino and weatherbeeta - any opinions on those? It would be used in torrential rain etc so has to be properly waterproof. Oh, and he’s a chunky boy with very large shoulders. Rambo fits him well (the ones with the V front), premier equine just works and Shires is far too small.
Any suggestions or opinions gratefully received :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've got a Rhino Wug Lite (and a MW) and like it a lot. I also have a Weatherbeeta that works well I think it's a freestyle 1200D.

I used them on my old tb who had very big shoulders. Size wise the Rhino is not as generous as Weatherbeeta on the shoulders but not a whole size difference but it doesn't depend on the model. The Weatherbeetas have lasted so long I haven't bought a new one for ages so can't comment on all the new comfitecs for fit.

Premier Equine was too small on the shoulders but too long and too deep so managed to be too big and too small. Amigos and Mark Todds were too tight round the shoulder.

I sold a few no fill rugs recently that were too tight and leaked, they were Amigos, Pessoas and Gallop.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I bought 2 shires 50g turnouts and am quite pleased with them I used them almost everyday up until January before they were clipped, no leaks or damage and you can use liners with them if you need a thicker rug, they are very reasonably priced as well.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought 2 shires 50g turnouts and am quite pleased with them I used them almost everyday up until January before they were clipped, no leaks or damage and you can use liners with them if you need a thicker rug, they are very reasonably priced as well.
Yes! I had one of these too and yes it was great. Sadly horse got nosey and barged through a hedge, got stuck so reversed leaving half the rug on the hedge. ?
I will replace it one day though as such a handy weight to have and such a good price. They always seem to fit nicely too.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Thanks all, seems like I have lots more options than I thought!
Poiuytrewq, I’m very jealous of your bargain- the cheapest rhino I can find is 150! They do look nice though...