Lightweight Rugs in heavy rain.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
i am looking for lightweight rig recommendations. I have an amigo mio which is ok for a light shower but not this heavy rain we seem to be having at the moment as it will go straight through.
I only have this rug and a 200g winter rug which it's obviously too warm for at the moment. It's 12 tonight but pouring hard. I have left her naked as figured it would be better than being to hot or getting wet in the mio.
She's in her 20's now so needs a little bit of protection from the rain I think.
Thanks.

Louby

Visit site
Ive just brought my girl in and shes dry in a Shires Highlander no fill turnout. She is a bit wet where its come in at the front but thats not through the rug, more ran down her neck. Its absolutely bucketed it down here and I have to say Im impressed with how the rugs stood up to it. From past experience, the Amigo 1200d is good too, not the 600d and the Rambo turnouts too but they are pricey.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Amigo mio are great in this weather. I too think yours might need reproofing.

Glad ours are in more sheltered turnout, largely done away with rugs this summer.

TGM

Visit site
Look for a 1200 denier rug rather than the standard 600 denier rugs. 1200 denier fabrics are tougher and more waterproof than the lower denier rugs.

jnb

Visit site
1200D Weatherbeeta lightweight, never leaks.
The PE 1200D are waterproof too. But much more expensive!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine are out tonight in a Shires, a Mark Todd and a Rhino light weights.
I know with absolute certainty the one in the Rhino will be bone dry in the morning, the others probably won't. Admittedly the others were half the price.

skint1

Visit site
My boy has a really light Amigo and it keeps the rain off for hours. He also has a Shires Tempest with Sheep on it, that's pretty good too, I'd recommend either of them

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I won't use anything but Rambo or rhino, both fantasic, one Rambo light weight is over 10 years old and as waterproof as the day I brought it

eggs

Visit site
The original green Rambos with the blue mesh lining have never let me down. Also have a newer black Rambo Excel no fill which kept the horse dry last night in all the rain. Also find the Bucas Power (the silver one) excellent but they don't seem to fit all horses. As we had strong winds and driving rain last night some of mine were out in their Rambo Duo outers (100g) and were completely dry. I do think you get what you pay for.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I put mine in a 70g PE rug I've had for years last night - he was dry as a bone and warm. I think in weather like we just had, something with a tiny bit of fill is a really good idea.