Likely colour of foal . . . calling all you colour experts!

Eluana

eluana.webs.com
Depending on stallions and mares genetics depends on what you could get.
If the stallion has two Tobiano or Overo genes (they cause the white patches, as well as Sabino) then the foal will be coloured.
If only one gene then 50% chance of having a coloured foal.
As for 'base' colours it depends what is in the genes the stallion and mare have.

Someone more expierenced will probably make more sense then me - I only know the basics.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
-well i have a chestnut mare who (must of gone to a skewbald stallion)

and produced this:

newphone021.jpg

(she has part black tail and a black in her mane so is skewbald according to chaps)

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
-well i have a chestnut mare who (must of gone to a skewbald stallion)

and produced this:

newphone021.jpg

(she has part black tail and a black in her mane so is skewbald according to chaps)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your foal is sooooo beautiful!!!!!! me wants!
smile.gif
smile.gif

KarynK

Visit site
The trouble is in the descriptions in this country we are so slow to change, we are still calling Bucksins Dun’s then expressing astonishment when a palomino or double dilute pops out!!!!!!

This is the same tradition says a piebald is a black horse (no matter what the gene that is causing it) with white patches and a skewbald is ANYTHING else with white !! The problem is CHAPS are continuing that tradition.

Our American cousins (long associated with loud horse colours) are streets ahead of us even defining mixed colour by the genes and describe horses in much more detail such as a Tovero (tobiano and overo in the same horse) of which they will also describe the base colour helpfully!!! They have long known that a Buckskin is very different from a dun and have defined dunskins, (dun and single dilute over a bay coat) pintalosas (has appaloosa and paint genes) and dunminos (Dun and single dilute over a chestnut base) etc etc.

After all it is highly likely that you could produce a horse that has virtually all the genes that make up any coat colour effect apart from the two base colours of black and chestnut. The genes for all these factors that affect base coat colour are all located separately, would love to make a name up for that one!!!

As above would need to know more of the pedigree to establish what genes you have available, would need to know what colour the skewbald is on it’s coat colour patches and if it has paint ancestors. I tend not to call horses coloureds as it’s actually the white bits that make them stand out, paint is a much better description!!!!

Your mare is chestnut so as far as base colours are concerned she is “ee” for the base colours so can only pass on “e” Chestnut, if the stallion is also a chestnut then that is all you can get apart from if he passes on his coloured gene, whatever that is, sabino, tobiano, overo (rare in the UK) or splashed white (common in some welsh strains). Then you have to establish how many + or - white modifiers to guess at how much white will be inherited, so it’s not simple!!.

The two examples above were from Skewbald stallions that must actually have been Bay or Brown, although using a piebald does not guarantee you a black as your mare may well silently carry bay A or At brown which will override the black.

Stallions are easier to work out bay/brown genes on as they have more offspring usually. If a chestnut or bay stallion has never produced a black from black mares and he has a lot of offspring then you can say that his A series genes are probably AA or AtAt or a combination, i.e. Homozygous for bay/brown.