Likely sex of each pregnancy?!

Mega

Visit site
Hi my mare has had two colts, I'm just intrigued as to wether horses are like humans, where once you've had two children of the same sex statistically you are more likely to have a third of the same sex? Ie are her odds higher for a colt than a filly?
Just intrigued, she's not in foal at the moment!!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Hi my mare has had two colts, I'm just intrigued as to wether horses are like humans, where once you've had two children of the same sex statistically you are more likely to have a third of the same sex? Ie are her odds higher for a colt than a filly?
Just intrigued, she's not in foal at the moment!!

Yes in that the mare produces an egg that can be either depending on whether the stallions sperm that reaches the egg first is male or female. I am curious to know if more colt foals are born via AI as it would fit seeing as they are the faster swimmers & most AI is done close to ovulation.

Cherrygarden

Visit site
I have wondered that too re the AI colt ratio but have come to the conclusion that it is dependent on semen quality as male sperm is quicker but weaker so if semen is not highest quality then possibly it will mean more fillies as female sperm survive in greater numbers but all things being equal and semen quality being good then a higher colt foal ratio is quite possible. Different ratios again using frozen though maybe...
Regarding whether mares are like humans I think if they stick with the same partner then maybe the if you have had two you are likely to have another may be true but if using different stallions then maybe not?

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I read something somewhere about acidity in the uterus can affect one or the other sperm, but couldn't find reliable info so assumed it to be an old wives tale.

I covered my mare naturally so using your ai theory magic it suggests a filly. However this mare has also produced 5 colts previously and one filly so I'd be likely to think colt....

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well my mare had a colt, then filly, then a colt (last 2 by the same stallion) the nail test shows a colt. In research of bloodlines I have seen mares have 10 colts then a filly all by different stallions & visa versa. My friends TB mare given to a sporthorse stud as todate produced colts (4 in all) hoping for a filly this year.

Mega

Visit site
I'd heard the same thing about acidity navalgem.
Our 2 colts were ai, so fit the ai theory. All interesting, but not a science!
Hoping for a filly for you magic, I'm sure you'll keep us posted :)

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I'd heard the same thing about acidity navalgem.
Our 2 colts were ai, so fit the ai theory. All interesting, but not a science!
Hoping for a filly for you magic, I'm sure you'll keep us posted :)

Thank you Mega, but have accepted everything is pointing towards a colt so just want everything to go well. Her other foals were with her previous owner & she had no problems with them so fingers crossed. Going by 342 days (1 preg then 345 for another) we are looking at 17th March so not long now.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
I have also read some research with regard the acidity in the uterus and how it can affect male and female sperm.

What we do know is that male sperm are quicker swimmers, but shorter lived and female sperm are a little slow of the mark, but live longer. When a mare is AI'd the vet usually tries to get the insemination within 6 hours of ovulation. This would really suit male sperm as it will get to the egg quickly, however if the ovulation is later then all the male sperm will have died off leaving only viable female sperm to do the job.

I have one mare that has produced 6 colts to 4 different stallions, but we are hoping that this year she will finally give us a filly. After covering, she was scanned not in foal at 14 days, however my vet decided to leave her and rescan. So at 18 days she was scanned only to find a 14 day pregnancy, if the theory is correct, it would have been only female sperm that would have been viable when she ovulated. So we are keeping our fingers crossed as she is 20 this year :)

amy_b

Visit site
I have also read some research with regard the acidity in the uterus and how it can affect male and female sperm.

why doesnt this surprise me?!! :D

I have one mare that has produced 6 colts to 4 different stallions, but we are hoping that this year she will finally give us a filly.

nothing to do with this ^^^ I trust?!! :p LOL!!
If she has a filly I think the earth will move from people around the globe jumping for joy!!! :rolleyes:

Enfys

Visit site
25 foals sired by my horse, out of 15 different mares, 23 have been colts!

Robin has had 4 colts. (The nail predicted fillies every time;) )
Lola has had 1 colt, 1 filly.