Lil'Dog - Spay or Don't Spay? JRTx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
The lil' dog is in season. No physical signs, just behaviours - humping one of the Rotties (i know I shouldn't have laughed, but the look on his face was priceless).

She's doing a bit of whinning and taking herself off to her crate.

The others (2 male Rotties and 1 bitch GSD - they've all been done) ignore her as a rule, except when outside and they'll all play and run together quite happily.

She's just about 2 years old I believe. Had a litter of 2 (resulting in an emergency c-section) at about 10 months old.

So, have her speyed or not? And if yes, when?

{97702}

Visit site
Yep I would without a doubt, particularly given her past history - 3 months after her season.

Millie is the only bitch who has come to me entire as she was in season in rescue kennels, I couldn’t wait to have her done - all that worry! ???

ETA - she must have been about 18 months old when she was done as we decided it was her first season in kennels. Didn’t change her a bit ? she was totally mad before and after

Last edited:

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
If she were mine I would have her spayed in a few months. I dealt with pyometra in a seven year old German Shepherd bitch in 2017, and not only was it nerve wracking to go through, it cost about twice as much as a 'normal' spay. I don't regret having waited, I would still wait until a bitch was completely full grown to have her spayed but it is a risk and it sounds like your girl is done growing anyway.

deb_l222

Visit site
Stupid question but if she has no physical symptoms, how do you know she's in season, other than humping the Rottie?

Bitches don't always bleed heavily but they do swell so will always have some physical signs. The humping could just be behavioural, now she's finding her feet :)

In answer to your original question, I would always spey but I've had two with pyometra and subsequent mammary tumours, so it's a no-brainer for me to avoid these issues. It is your decision at the end of the day however.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We’ve always had our bitches spayed after their first season.

Current JRT arrived at ours as a rising 3yo, believed to be spayed. Our vet couldn’t confirm that either way after examining her, so he told us to wait and see if she had a season or not. Nothing shown after 8 months so we can presume that she was, indeed, spayed in a previous home :).

ETA None of our bitches have had any ill effects, whether short or long termm after the operation. I would never keep a bitch entire unless the intention was to breed from her.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all.

Will be having her done in three-ish months time, depending on the good old covid situation.

Body language, behaviours. She's just like two previous bitches were. Have noted the dates and will keep an eye jic it is her getting her paws under the table.

SusieT

Visit site
Yes - spay her 100% when she is out of her season and vets are happy to do her- you have only to look at the other thread on aad about risking a surgery on an eldelry dog with womb infection to see why spaying is a good idea.

misst

Visit site
yes from me.
I had my little old girl speyed at 2 after a phantom pregnancy which was miserable. Ruby my current baby will be speyed next month - she had a season at the beginning of June so will be done at the end of August.