Lily dog is poorly :(

Fiona

Visit site
Please keep lily the lakeland and I in your thoughts tonight.

We had a lovely day out to a castle and grounds. About 21 degree C. She ran about for about 1/2hr off lead and with us on lead for about 4 hrs. Had a couple of big drinks but nothing to eat.

By the time we got home she got out of crate ok and had drink and wee, but very trembly and totally uninterested in food or water... Gums pale pink but dry.

Phoned on call vet who seems calm. Said probably a heat exhaustion sort of thing but I'm worried sick as you can imagine, especially as she wolfed a bit of what looked like chocolate muffin while walking and I'm panicking she has been poisoned.

No sickness or diarrhoea or drooling though....

She's on the sofa beside me now dozing, but still trembling now and then ..

Can I have a hug and possibly reassuring stories...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Hugs to you and gentle calming strokes for Lily dog. Sending all positive vibes

Thank you.. I'm trying to be calm and keep occupied but she's my baby, and inside I'm panicking she is really ill.

Keep telling myself that if vet was worried she would have asked us to come in though.

Fiona

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Hope she improves, they're such a worry. As no sickness or diarrhoea she's hopefully not been poisoned, fingers crossed she gets better overnight x

Fiona

Visit site
Hope she improves, they're such a worry. As no sickness or diarrhoea she's hopefully not been poisoned, fingers crossed she gets better overnight x

That's what the vet said jennbags, but still there's that guilty. ..'if only I didn't let her lift it....' worry... It's my fault :(

Fiona

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It does sound like heatstroke and it was quite hot today.

Just keep an eye on her, I'm sure she will be fine. Some dogs have no sense of self preservation/don't self regulate in the heat and will charge around like lilty with their drive carrying them through and will only start to show ill effects later.

Fiona

Visit site
It does sound like heatstroke and it was quite hot today.

Just keep an eye on her, I'm sure she will be fine. Some dogs have no sense of self preservation/don't self regulate in the heat and will charge around like lilty with their drive carrying them through and will only start to show ill effects later.

She slept with us peacefully last night and is quiet but much improved this morning. ..

Thank god......

Because dad was with us, her crate was in the back of the estate car rather than on back seat, so there is the possibility that she got more sun than normal in the car.....

Lessons learned anyway, there are a few things I won't be doing again.....

Fiona

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
so glad she's feeling better and yes some are better than others wrt heat, I've one who's daft and one who will just take it easy. and if you are out and it feels a bit warm-wet her down, legs, belly and paws really helps.

Shady

Visit site
Very glad to read that she is better today, iv'e had the same problem myself in the past as it gets so hot here, CC is right to say some dogs have no self preservation. I have to watch mine for bloat and i am always trying to stop them playing after they have eaten which is not easy with super active dogs! hope she stays well. xx

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Glad to hear she is better this morning :) four and a half hours out in that hear would have knackered me too but there's no harm done x
Is she clipped out at the moment also, that may also have an effect, how much natural 'sunscreen' she may have.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
She slept with us peacefully last night and is quiet but much improved this morning. ..

Thank god......

Because dad was with us, her crate was in the back of the estate car rather than on back seat, so there is the possibility that she got more sun than normal in the car.....

Lessons learned anyway, there are a few things I won't be doing again.....

Fiona

hope she is feeling better....may be worth putting something over the part of the crate that is in the sun. i have a towel fixed with pegs over my car crate so mine never get direct sun on them when travelling...

Fiona

Visit site
hope she is feeling better....may be worth putting something over the part of the crate that is in the sun. i have a towel fixed with pegs over my car crate so mine never get direct sun on them when travelling...

She had a towel over her crate, but maybe the air movement is better when on the back seat...

Yes she is clipped CC...

I'm so grateful that she is back to her normal silly self today, jumping in the field drinkers and playing with her toys...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
I'm wondering could it have been a hypoglycemic thing exacerbated by the heat, she never panted or drooled, just uncontrollable trembling and very lethargic...

Fiona

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh such sad news 😣 I'm so sorry. I lost my little puss last week - it's just awful when they leave us xxxx

Fiona

Visit site
Oh such sad news 😣 I'm so sorry. I lost my little puss last week - it's just awful when they leave us xxxx

Was your cat old amymay? Our Katie was 17, which is a good age but we are still very sad. We've had her nearly as long as we've been married :(

Fiona

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No, only 11 - and never a sick day in her life. Was a complete shock tbh. One day she was fine, the next not. Vet found tumours in her intestine.

17 is a good age though Fiona. She was a lucky girl to have such a caring owner xxx

Fiona

Visit site
My childhood cat (a white longhaired fluffball) died at 11 from kidney failure, so I always thought that was a reasonable age too :) Katie seemed just to go on and on.....

Fiona