Lily's Kitchen Dog Food

jumbyjack

Visit site
Laska is on Lilly's kitchen, apart from the difficulty in regulating the amounts from a tin there does seem to be a lot of fat in the food. When the tin is empty I can see the fat round the sides. I could get the foil trays for portion control but if it's high in fat it's not the best thing for her as she is quite portly and cutting down the amounts fed doesn't reduce her weight very successfully. The write up says it's low in everything and no cereals etc but she's a Parson Russell porker at nearly 10kg. She's a tad exercise intolerant, if she runs too much chasing a ball she will pass out, heart and lungs are fine so proba!y down to weight. Any thoughts on a change of food, she's not keen on dry food.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I like LK and always have it on standby for fussy dogs.

Can you simply reduce the amount you're feeding, bulking out with vedge?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I can really recommend butternut box, it's expensive but definitely worth it. We have to be really careful with our dogs weight as she has three legs 💕 She's been on butternut box for a while now and she's fitter and looking trim. If you compare the ingredients with something like lillys kitchen you'll be shocked.

wren123

Visit site
I've tried butternut box, my dog looks no better on it, coat no shinier, dog was fit and trim before.
The delivery was terrible didn't arrive when it should have done, came the next day.
I was shocked at the amount of packaging, not very green.

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve fed Lilly’s Kitchen for my fussy older dog and it didn’t make her fat.

My Parsons is over 10kg, I think near 12 but obviously she might be bigger than yours. Lots of brisk walking is far better than throwing a ball I think.

Have you looked on this site? It’s very informative and you can see the fat content at a glance
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Looking that that Lily’s kitchen does have higher than average fat which I wasn’t aware of!

Last edited:

jumbyjack

Visit site
Thanks all for advice. I've put her on Butchers for the moment and she has half a foil tray twice a day, it has shown up just how far out my portion control was when using a tin! I had a look at the Butternut but thought it was ragingly expensive and knowing how fussy/picky she can be it could be a waste of money. I'm upping the exercise very gradually because of her fainting problem! I'll have a look at the dog food link too.

Moon River

Visit site
I had to feed ultra low fat wet food for years because of my dog's medical issues and used Naturediet fish variety as the lowest fat not totally full of rubbish food I could find. Naturediet senior/lite is also low (not ultra low) fat. Others you could look at are Wainright's pouches from Pets at Home and Nature's Menu pouches, and Nature's Menu frozen chunks are an easy way of doing raw. I can't remember off hand which varieties of the Nature's Menu are low fat and which are normal fat levels but I did have a fair range to choose from.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I've tried butternut box, my dog looks no better on it, coat no shinier, dog was fit and trim before.
The delivery was terrible didn't arrive when it should have done, came the next day.
I was shocked at the amount of packaging, not very green.
Well each to their own. My dog was also fit and trim before but I found this has given her more energy so is therefore now even fitter. Over two years ours has never arrived late and actually always within the two hour window. Very confused by your packaging comment compared to literally any other dog food!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Thanks all for advice. I've put her on Butchers for the moment and she has half a foil tray twice a day, it has shown up just how far out my portion control was when using a tin! I had a look at the Butternut but thought it was ragingly expensive and knowing how fussy/picky she can be it could be a waste of money. I'm upping the exercise very gradually because of her fainting problem! I'll have a look at the dog food link too.
Yeah it is expensive! Glad you've found an alternative :) Good luck with the exercise.

wren123

Visit site
I'm glad your dog does well on it, just not for me.

I'm
Well each to their own. My dog was also fit and trim before but I found this has given her more energy so is therefore now even fitter. Over two years ours has never arrived late and actually always within the two hour window. Very confused by your packaging comment compared to literally any other dog food!

confused about you saying there's no more packaging than normal food. A two week supply came in a cardboard box, disposable hard ice packs and numerous disposable soft pads.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I did try Chappie but she wouldn't look at it and she thinks I'm insane if I try to give her anything raw. There is a 50% off first order on the Butternut Box so I'm going to give it a go! If she thinks its awful I can always donate to another dog!

meleeka

Visit site
I was given a voucher for tails.com yesterday, might be worth looking into as you can have a free trial. My neighbour reports that her fussy dog loves if.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'm glad your dog does well on it, just not for me.

I'm

confused about you saying there's no more packaging than normal food. A two week supply came in a cardboard box, disposable hard ice packs and numerous disposable soft pads.
Ah I must admit I'd forgotten about the ice packs :/ Although I question food that has such long shelf life. What's in it? I like that this goes off after 5 days, it's cause its fresh :) so I guess the ice packs are necessary.