Limited brakes!!

emmad96

Visit site
I have recently bought a big ex full wire hunter mare, a clydie cross. She's 17 hands and very strong and solid.

She's forward and very well schooled, ie, is responsive to leg aides, moves when I move my body in the direction I want her to go. The only problem is that the brakes don't really work!!

When I tried her she was in a plain noseband with a Dutch gag with the reins on the big snaffle hole. She was alright on the brakes then, not the best but okay enough to warrant me buying her.

Now that I have her home she's in a plain noseband with a eggbutt snaffle, and there's not an awful lot of control happening!

Her teeth will be done in the next few weeks and she doesn't show any signs of back pain or lameness. I have noticed that she opens her mouth a lot and chews all the time.

Should I try a flash on her, or maybe a grackle? Or does anyone have any bit suggestions?

JustKickOn

Visit site
Is the bit single or double jointed?

If single, it will have more of a nutcracker action. My girl runs in a single jointed bit and throws her head around, but is fine in a double jointed bit as it sits flatter across her tongue.

Ground work getting a response to your voice and lots of work getting a reaction from your seat too. Walk to halt to walk to halt, turning and getting the reaction you want and when you want it before upping the gears.

pennandh

Visit site
If she'd stop on the snaffle ring of a Dutch Gag but not in an eggbutt, have you thought about trying her in either a loose-ring or a hanging cheek snaffle? She might feasibly be bothered by the lack of play in the mouthpiece (some horses don't get on well with eggbutts) or she might prefer the action of a bit on a suspended cheek.

Was there any particular reason you switched her out of the bit she was in? I may not be a fan of Dutch Gags, but I'm a great proponent of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and you might honestly be better off reverting to the original arrangement, at least until she's a bit better schooled in terms of braking.

Firewell

Visit site
Maybe they used the snaffle ring for schooling and moved down the rings for hunting.
If I was you I would probably try a flash with a loose ring and be prepared to have to use a stronger bit like a Dutch gag for faster work.

Micropony

Visit site
You'll need to do about 36 trillion transitions then she will be fine ;)

Yep, I would agree. And they need to be really good, consistent, clear transitions so she absolutely understands the rules. You might need to be pretty firm at first, but as long as you soften the second she does what you've asked, you will quickly be able to make the aid much smaller again, so it's kinder in the long run.

emmad96

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far :).

When I ask her to stop or slow, I sit up, back slightly, try to 'close' my hands and keep them quiet while asking for a halt/lower gear.

The reason I've got her in a different but is because I was told by a woman at PC that Dutch gags are horrid things and that I was cruel for thinking of using one (bearing in mind that they don't have anything over 15hh and their ponies are quiet and very well behaved) and with her it's easier to just do what she says and try and cope. I know our local feed/tack store has a Dutch gag in stock, and I have a loose ring snaffle here for my other horse so will try that on her today and see how she goes.

How long of a trial period should I give each bit?

wench

Visit site
How old are you op? Who at pony club has told you that any why do you have to do what they say?

emmad96

Visit site
I'm 20. The lady who told me to use a different bit is the 'top dog' of our very small PC. We have very different views on things, but as she kinda sets the tone of the whole place it's easier to agree and hope for the best.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Try sitting deeper in your seat and close your pelvis.
All my horses stop like this and go forward when we open pelvis.
Takes practice but some but better than relying on hands to brake

wench

Visit site
I'm 20. The lady who told me to use a different bit is the 'top dog' of our very small PC. We have very different views on things, but as she kinda sets the tone of the whole place it's easier to agree and hope for the best.
Sorry ignore her and do what you think is best for your horse. I had someone who wouldn't let me ride my horse in anything but a snaffle. I went to an xc competition and had no control whatsoever. In fact the horse very nearly ran straight into a pile of rusty junk as he was just doing what he wanted. Changed the bit, I had s totally different horse

emmad96

Visit site
Sorry ignore her and do what you think is best for your horse. I had someone who wouldn't let me ride my horse in anything but a snaffle. I went to an xc competition and had no control whatsoever. In fact the horse very nearly ran straight into a pile of rusty junk as he was just doing what he wanted. Changed the bit, I had s totally different horse

Yeah that's what I am going to do, she can just go **** herself if she wants to try and tell me to do something that doesn't work for my horse. Has anyone had any experience with the NS bits?

pennandh

Visit site
Yeah that's what I am going to do, she can just go **** herself if she wants to try and tell me to do something that doesn't work for my horse. Has anyone had any experience with the NS bits?

We have a NS loose ring with a tranz-angled on Mr H, which works very well for everything that's not super-exciting, and we used to use the same mouthpiece on a hanging cheek for flatwork on Mr G. They're good-quality bits and very cleverly thought-out, but they are quite expensive; so I'd advise getting one on trial from a bit bank first, just in case you have to play about a bit with what mouthpiece/cheeks are the best combination for your horse.

khalino

Visit site
Se can go walk then, the horse isn't hers.
"Just coping" can end you in hospital, if the original combination worked, then it worked.
I would go with the original combo and reschool and lunge like everyone is saying. That's how I bring my boy back to basics. Eventually an eggbutt might work but I think for now, reschool her to your commands/voice/aids before dropping the stopping power.
Good luck to you <3