Limpet pads

B.F.G

Visit site
I was wondering about the best way to stop a saddle slipping left and right on a flat backed pony? Girth is tight and saddle fits well but if cantering 20m circles it starts to slip to the outside regardless of direction. Someone said a limpet pad and use it between the horse and the numnah but wouldn't that cause rubbing? Any ideas please as it is driving me nuts!!

CazD

Visit site
I was advised by my saddle fitter to use a gel eze pad on a saddle that slipped in a similar way when jumping in lessons . It worked really well, altho I suspect it might rub if used for long periods of time. I also found a griffin anti slip numnah worked well too and it hasnt caused any problems even on long distance hacks.

Five&Two

Visit site
I have a GelEze pad and no they don't rub. Mine is washed weekly to keep it grippy and i can honestly say it has saved my life.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I tried a Limpet pad about 10 years ago with a past very calm and placid horse, who said a most definite no to it. I tried a Flexi Girth next and have used them ever since, dressage, gp and western, they're great.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I've got a couple of numnah that the saddle sticks to, which I found made the most difference with mine. Or a saddler could maybe add a point strap?

B.F.G

Visit site
Thankyou for replies, I'm using a collegiate anatomical girth. Saddle was checked less than a week ago. Will look at the gel eze pad and the anti slip numnah.

Wizpop

Visit site
I found limpet pad made horses back sweaty- a bit too sticky! I’d try some of the girth recommendations.😊

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have used them when nothing else stopped slipping .
they can cause muscle fascia issues they really do cling .
I have never had one cause rubbing

RachaelJC

Visit site
If its only slipping when you're cantering 20m circles and not any other time, such as when you mount, I'd also be inclined to check my riding position if it was me as well as a gel type pad.

As others have said, I'd also try a leather girth.

Also, if its only on a circle and the saddle is fitted by a qualified saddler, if the girth and pad changes make no difference perhaps subtle lameness behind is knocking your saddle out, and then putting you off balance making the saddle slip even more.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would go back to the fitter, a saddle can only be said to truly fit if it's stable - if the horse has temporary issues (though that is usually only to do with slipping in one direction) then shimming etc, choice of girth straps and often the girth itself all can help but IMO a saddle that slips more than a few mm to the outside (is it much more?) in both canters has a stability issue. Fitting a saddle is always about the dynamics, you can't say a saddle fits just because ticks all the boxes girthed up. If you could it would make saddle fitters' lives a lot easier!

I don't like sticky pads at all (look up Dawn McCaig equine...on Facebook and see one of her videos on them) but the Limpet is probably one of the less harmful ones as some of the stability comes from the way it deals with shear forces rather than just being sticky.

A very unbalanced horse, or rider, might lead to this type of slippage but again I'd want to formulate a plan with the saddle fitter, bodyworker, trainer etc.