Limping dog - supplements etc

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
My dog has a limp caused by a muscle injury she sustained when she was attacked by another dog last year.

She tends to limp once she's been laying down for a while and after a few strides walks it off and is the happy to run around.

Vet was a bit useless - said they could xray but they suspected the xray wouldn't show anything?? Physio advised it was due to the injury she sustained impacting the trapezius (??) muscle where it had been stiched to repair the tear.

She did some physio including some magnetic therapy and gave me some stretches to do and for months the issue went away but she seems to have tweaked it again so we're back to the stretches (when I can get her to lie still long enough!)

I wondered what else I could do to help her - are there any supplements that might help? She doesn't seem to need pain relief just something to make her more supple?

I also wondered if there are any products that might work - for my old dog who had arthritis in his back I had a back on track thermal back pad - I don't know if it's as easy to get something like that for the shoulder area - I do try and put a heated bean bag on it but she doesn't like it :rolleyes:

Clodagh

Visit site
We had a dog who injured her shoulder and never really went properly sound again. My vet said the shoulder on a dog is a really badly designed, weak joint. With our terrier (she hurt it by jumping out of an upstairs window chasing a balloon) she said to build as much muscle up as possible to support the joint, her muscle was atrophied as she didn't use it much and therefore it became a self perpetuating problem.
Yours might be completely different but with the terrier she went on a course of pain relief from the vet and we got her as fit as possible. Yumove is good stuff and helps too. We always had a stand by of rimadyl that now and then she could have a bit if needed.

Moobli

Visit site
Hydrotherapy as well as physio may help. Also Yumove supplement or Green Lipped Mussel are worth a try - although they seem to work for some dogs and not others.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Keep dog lean and as mentioned, build muscle around the joint, so keep her exercised. Swimming is brilliant if she enjoys it.

When mine had cruciate surgery, I was advised to walk up gentle hills and through sand to improve the muscle. I wonder if going down hills would work for the shoulder?

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Dog is a hound so very lean just by the nature of her breed. I'll definitely look into hydrotherapy - she can swim but doesn't choose to do it often.

Will look into some of the supplements and also mention to the vet again (it's a new vet now in the practice so they may have a different view).

SplashofSoy

Visit site
Definitely look at treatment options, with vet approval. I use a McTimoney lady for my terrier who does a lot of flyball and is generally nutty and very active. She treats him and does massage too, definitely keeps any niggles at bay. Someone like that could help. Try a back on track mesh coat, these really do help and they can just wear them over night like PJ's. Will cover the shoulder area and provide relief.

meggymoo

Visit site
Thanks all. I've got another physio appointment so hopefully that will help. Has anyone tried a magnetic dog collar?

I have. Worked well with an arthritic greyhound, I was sceptical before-hand, but she couldn't read so had no pre-conceived ideas! Didn't however make any noticeable difference to our old lab.