Lincoln valerian cordial

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone had used this product and if so what results you have had. My lovely little man is wonderful 99% of the time but he is extremely spooky and it is getting worse Small spooks are ok, but when he throws in a really violent dirty one I cannot stay on. It has now got to the point that I am putting off riding him. I have tried calmers with magnesium, but these seem to have no effect. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Jazmyn101

Visit site
I have heard really good things about this but didn't absolutely nothing for my mare. I really think it depends on the individual horse, I'm currently trying the top spec calmer, magneisum did nothing either. You might aswell try it though as it's not expensive :)

BlairandAzria

Visit site
It's a banned substance under all competition rules, I would infer that it must have some effect for it to be banned. But never used myself. Wouldn't use if you want to compete though.

Shay

Visit site
Like humans valerian works as a sedative in most - but not all. It is one of the more effective calmers which is why it is banned. However - OP if your problem is spookiness calmers might not be the answer. It depends on why he spooks of course but no calmer -and indeed no anesthetic - will entirely overcome the adrenaline response in horses. If he is truly scared then a calmer won't touch that. And in fairness if he is just trying it on a calmer won't really stop that either - although it might make him less inclined to bother!

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I think sometimes he tries it on with me! Unfortunately I have had more experienced riders on him and he has done the same thing. Out hacking he is a real gentleman, but it is in the school we are now having a problem.

leflynn

Visit site
I've used it for box rest for a loony horse that needed to chill and not whizz round his stable and bronc/rear, worked very well and was fed twice a day. Have also used Zylkene as a calmer as Mag ox sent him more loopy

spacefaer

Visit site
I've used it for a stressy horse - had no obvious effect on him, except to improve his appetite, which tbh was brillliant, as he was very hard to feed when anxious. Wouldn't have stopped him spooking.

Your guy sounds more like freshness to me..........

uncle max

Visit site
Have used valerian calmer, though not the Lincoln one..I think it did make a difference, but not the dramatic one I'd anticipated from it being banned competitively! As others have said, what works for one,doesn't work for another. I have a better result using Global Herbs Supercalm, I was advised to use a liquid initially as a quickly absorbed loading dose, then switched to the (cheaper) powdered form...def makes mine a nicer beast!

Makemineacob

Visit site
I've used the lincoln cordial on two very stressy geldings when they were staying with us and it was nothing short of a miracle, it didn't do a thing for my stressy mare I'm afraid. It's worth a try to see if it is right for your boy, it's not massively expensive for a small bottle to try (I think I got a 500ml for about £6).

scewal

Visit site
I have used the Lincoln one with very little difference. However it is a weak ratio. I currently use a 1:2 v calm which is excellent.

Bradsmum

Visit site
I too have a spooky boy who was going through a particular bad period two summers ago. I decided to try valerian cordial to try to break the cycle. It certainly worked - I found him flat out, fast asleep out in the field a couple of mornings running so decided to lower the dose!!! He is now on Placid but if he displayed the same stressy behaviour as before, I would have no hesitation of trying the cordial again.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well, if he's only doing it in the school then there will be a reason why other than pure fear and flight instinct.
Does he lack concentration do you think or seem to find the work difficult physically?

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi there, just reading your posts was exactly the same problem I had with my horse a few years ago. Several professionals offered to "get on and sort him out" but I worried that there was another cause behind his out of character bad behaviour in the school. Eventually his bad behaviour turned into spooking and spinning around out on hacks.

I appreciate this sounds soft, but I had to get off him on one occasion to lead him home because he just refused to go past some imaginary scary object and it gave me the chance to look in in his eye and at his expression whilst I was leading him, and could see something wasn't right.

I got the vet involved and he discovered my horse had low grade lameness in his fore foot. He had some time off, with remedial shoeing and brought him back slowly and didn't have the problem again.

I just thought I would mention this, as it wasn't something I had thought of initially when my horse became spooky. In hindsight I am so glad I didn't let anyone try to sort out the problem because it would only have been addressing the symptoms and not the root cause.

Tash88

Visit site
What is he being fed and is he on restricted turnout as it's winter? I agree with a pp that it sounds more like freshness or boredom, and it would be aa good idea to look at his management first. Also have you tried Super So Kalm? I've found that's the only magnesium-related calmer that works with my horse, as others have said it is a lot of trial and error.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I haven't used the cordial but I did use a valerian-based calmer (following recommendations on here) for a couple of weeks around Bonfire Night for my horse as he gets very distressed by fireworks and it certainly took the edge off for him. He sounds a similar sort - generally fine when hacking but always very spooky in the school.

I haven't continued to use it as I feel part of his problem in the school is not being that used to working in there but I may try it again over Christmas when I will be able to ride more consistently, just to see if it has any effect.

9tails

Visit site
I didn't notice any difference when I used it, but all horses are different. Echo all points about being bored in the school, a pain response and feed. We work really well when I'm on my game and doing lots of transitions, but if I'm walking around not doing much that's when we get spooking.

[100323]

Visit site
I use Clop liquid Valarian. It has definitely helped to stop my pony stressing himself up about such things as inch high tractors in the distance. He is definitely better out hacking now, but can still throw a massive spook occasionally, (I am still recovering from the last one, nothing broken),but there are not so many now.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Thanks everyone. He is only fed Baileys low cal balancer and low cal chaff so nothing to fizz him up. He has always 'looked' at things, but the real nasty spooks are quite hard for me to sit to. I can see that he might be bored in the school as before I had him I think he did a lot of school work. Unfortunately our hacking is a bit reduced at the moment, but will let you know whether the valerian makes a difference.