line breeding

_daisy_

Visit site
i can anyone explain this to me please? and in particular in welsh breeding

after reading a post which included a link to all breed pedigree i thought id look one of my horses up on there and it seems theres some very wierd goings on back in the 60's.

duggan

Visit site
What do you mean by line breeding? If you mean there are close relations in your horses history, then yes, that can be called line breeding. If you have a trait in a mare, that is typical of the type of horses you want, then you can go back into the line and cement the trait in there. That works with good as well as bad traits.
So a horse with a good shoulder, taken back into a line of similar descent, should fix the shoulder into the progeny. Of course it's not an exact science. But a horse with a suspect temperament, taken to a stallion with similar breeding, could well produce an unworkable horse.
Early history of most breeds involved a lot of close breeding, to 'fix' the standard of the breed. You can trace all tb's back to one of the three foundation sires for the breed.
Of course, line breeding any animal can go wrong if you don't know all the facts of the parentage. And if you double up on the line you can open up an ugly can of worms that you may not know about.
Welsh breeding is very complex as you have four standards you can interact with, i don't know much of the traits to watch for and those lines that should be encouraged.

tweedette

Visit site
line breeding is good just make sure you ad 25% new blood every 2/3 generations ie coed coch lines, bring in a bit of revel, for type, bred welshies for 30 yrs dont anymore but still have an interest. Buy right in the first place is the key, bloodlines or rather good bloodlines are essential.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Line breeding is when it works - if it doesn't, it's called In-breeding!
grin.gif