Linseed ...a few questions please

flitz02

Visit site
Hi,after reading about all the great stories of micronised linseed im thinking of getting my mare onto it
Can i just confirm with you guys:
1:Is it definately non-heating?
2.Do you just feed it dry mixed in with usual feed?( Mare is only on chaff & speedibeet)
3.Does it add condition( put weight on)?
4.How much roughly would a 15.2hh chunky neddy need daily?
Thanking you in advance.xx

amandap

Visit site
Hi,after reading about all the great stories of micronised linseed im thinking of getting my mare onto it
1:Is it definately non-heating? I've never found it so.
2.Do you just feed it dry mixed in with usual feed?( Mare is only on chaff & speedibeet) I do, but I feed a damp feed.They do eat it on it's own too.
3.Does it add condition( put weight on)? If you feed a lot it can I believe.
4.How much roughly would a 15.2hh chunky neddy need daily? I would feed about a big mug a day for simplicity.
My answers above.

flitz02

Visit site
Thankyou...You just confirmed what i i had thought but i needed to double check thankyou &i will get & order my bag now.xx

LaurenBay

Visit site
I haven't found it to change her behaviour (she is actually quite sugar sensitive too)

I mix it with Fast Fibre which is a wet feed. But you can add to dry also.

It does add condition, which is why I will only feed it through winter as my mare is a very good doer. But at the moment she is fine with it, has a lovely glossy shiny coat :D

I feed my 14.2 a mugful a day, split between 2 feeds.

proudwilliam

Visit site
I was recommended to feed Linseed oil two years as my horse used to get a rash in February also his mane a tail was course.

I feed 50mls Linseed oil daily and now most of the show horses in our yard have the same.

Jerome's coat is superb and the mane and tail so much softer. The rash has not reoccured.
I get mine from Flax Farms who are found on line. They are very helpful and it is quick delivery. I did think about the meal but was advised to use the oil,
I have never regretted my decision.

AngieandBen

Visit site
1:Is it definately non-heating? Not in the slightest!
2.Do you just feed it dry mixed in with usual feed?( Mare is only on chaff & speedibeet) Yes I feed mine with Fast Fibre and Magnesium
3.Does it add condition( put weight on)? If you feed a lot, mine a good doers and I've fed it all year round and not put weight on, but they are on restricted grazing
4.How much roughly would a 15.2hh chunky neddy need daily? A mugfull a day :)

Answers above too :D

Oberon

Visit site
The benefits of linseed are that it provides omega 3 and 6 at the same ratio as grass - so it's balanced in a way that nature intended for horses :D.

You get that magic of Dr Green without the unpredictable sugar levels :eek:.

You also get methionine (an amino acid helpful for the hooves as well as the body).

If you think about humans - we are supposed to eat fish oils.
The linseed is the horsey equivalent of that.

1) It's not heating (although there will always be at least one horse that gets high on it :rolleyes:)

2) Just add the micronised stuff in any feed. It's a slightly greasy powder.

3) It CAN add condition - but it's still safe for good doers (like we still give fish oil pills to heart attack victims - the benefits are greater than the fat in them.)

4) I add a large coffee mug to my 14.3hh Arab. My 16.1 draft x gets half that.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
1) It's not heating (although there will always be at least one horse that gets high on it :rolleyes:)

Yup, one of mine! :D There are a couple of threads on here about this.

OP if you are wanting to improve coat condition etc you need to feed about a tablespoonful per day, if you want muscle then anything up to a cupful. Mine get about 200ml daily.

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha there's always one that goes loopy! You can add it to anything but I feed with dampened chaff, yes it does add condition a tiny bit, so I only give my haflinger two handfuls a day (probably a bit less than a mug). She certainly hasn't lost condition, if that is even possible haha. Don't think she's put much on though. I will continue to feed it as her skin is much less scurfy (she used to be very itchy) her coat is lovely and like Teflon which is great for my 'relaxed' grooming regime, the mud comes off by itself! The main reason I am giving it is her hooves are a bit weak so hoping it will have made a difference come summer :)

Doogle

Visit site
Hi, I have just started feeding my 16hh mare a tablespoon of NAF linseed oil in her feed morning and night. What is the difference between feeding Linseed oil and micronised linseed please? :)

mandwhy

Visit site
I think the micronised is easier for them to digest, and it is whole so has all the goodness, some of the linseed oil might go through and get wasted, not sure though!

Doogle

Visit site
Thank you, do you mean that buying Linseed in oil form is more expensive? My mare is a IDxTB and a good doer. (Grazing muzzle used) She is currently fed British Horse Feeds Fibre Beet, (quite sloppy), Dengi Hi-Fi Lite mixed in, a cup of oats & Vits/Mins. This diet has been devised as she has some allergies to certain foods and comes up in hives. Out at grass in the day and in at night with 6kg of steamed hay. Does anyone know if I change from Linseed oil to Micronised Linseed, how much I should use please. Her weight is pretty spot on and she is schooled twice a week and hacked 4 times. Many thanks.:)

loisb501

Visit site
I get micronised linseed in powder form but only feed a scoop (like the ones you get with tubs of garlic etc) a day- what kind do you feed to give them a mug full? Pellets? :)

Sharonr

Visit site
I got my first bag of linseed from Charnwood delivered yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing a difference in my fella's coat and hooves!!! Hoping that it will help get rid of his hives too!!

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
So for maintenance and coat condition rather than weight gain, a mug a day (a mug being the size cup you would measure balancer in) is recommended?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
So for maintenance and coat condition rather than weight gain, a mug a day (a mug being the size cup you would measure balancer in) is recommended?

No, a 50g measure (large spoonful) is enough for coat condition, a mugful (200g) for building muscle - I think people are maybe confusing putting on weight with putting on muscle? If you want weight gain you are better off feeding more carbs, or adding more oil to the diet if you don't want to increase feed.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Shy's been on the oil about a week now (I am then going to get some from Charnwood as I know he likes the taste) BUT he seems to be the pony that IS affected by it - today we've had spooking, bucking, bolting - all very unusual, and nothing else has changed. Don't get me wrong, it's fab ;)

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Not just one amino acid, lots of amino's including Lysine. This is why it's great for muscle development.

I actually by the whole seed flax as I'm unable to buy from Charnwood here. The only other stabilised flax to buy would cost me €60 for about 10 days for 6 horses. Not gonna happen. I put through a coffee grinder just before feeding. Nobody has died a horrible death. Flax goes off very quickly which is why you put it through the grinder just before feeding. Lots of myths around flax. This is the way we've always fed it in America. You do not feed more than 2pds per day. The equivalent of 4 coffee mugs.

Terri

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
no, very cold and still here today... he's supposed to be tired after a very fast hack with two hunters a few days ago, but nope, very pingy both this morning and tonight ! Tomorrow he probably won't be able to lift his hooves, mind you. x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
haha, bless him, he couldn't keep up and he was squealing at them to wait for him - never heard him do that before ! The others could hear him all the way up the field..